Question about path resulting from acceleration

In summary, an object moving with non-zero, constant accelerations in two dimensions that are equal in magnitude will have a linear path. This can be seen by considering the x and y components of the displacement, which will have a linear relationship. However, the given problem statement may be missing some information as it is not clear if the object starts at rest or if there are any other constraints on its motion.
RoboNerd

Homework Statement

If an object moves with non-zero, constant accelerations in two dimensions which are equal in magnitude, its path is

1) linear
2) hyperbolic
3) elliptical
4) parabolic
5) circular

Homework Equations

no equations

The Attempt at a Solution

apparently, the correct answer is 1. How is that even possible. Thanks in advance for the input.

Physics news on Phys.org
Take an example...

Imagine an object starts from rest at the origin x,y = 0,0
Then it starts moving and accelerates at the same rate in x and y.
After time t, what will the x and y components of the displacement be?

x: 0.5 * acceleration in x direction * t^2
y: 0.5 * acceleration in y direction * t^2

Let Ax be the acceleration in the x direction
and Ay be the acceleration in the y direction

Let Ax=k1 ; Ay = k2

Integrate to get
Velocity
Vx = k1t + c1 ; Vy = k2t + c2

Again integrate to get
Position
Sx = (k1t^2)/2 + c1t + d1 -(I)
Sy= (k2t^2)/2 + c2t + d2 -(II)

Multiply (I) by k2 and (II) by k1
Then Subtract to get a linear relation between Sx and Sy.

@Sahil Kukreja, I see how your approach works, but this question is intended to be solved in a simple manner. I believe this method overcomplicates it. Is there any way to do this with some geometrical intuition?

Thanks!

RoboNerd said:
x: 0.5 * acceleration in x direction * t^2
y: 0.5 * acceleration in y direction * t^2

acceleration in x direction = acceleration in y direction

So y = x which is a straight line.

I'm not sure I even understand the statement of the problem. I guess it means ax = ay = constant. But it doesn't say that the object starts at rest. It seems to me that you just have an object moving in 2 dimensions with a constant acceleration vector. Isn't the general motion parabolic, like projectile motion except the direction of the acceleration is not vertical?

Sahil Kukreja said:
Sx = (k1t^2)/2 + c1t + d1 -(I)
Sy= (k2t^2)/2 + c2t + d2 -(II)

Multiply (I) by k2 and (II) by k1
Then Subtract to get a linear relation between Sx and Sy.
Hi, Sahil.
This does not necessarily imply that the trajectory is linear because the relation still involves the time t explicitly.

Suppose y = ax + t where a is a constant and y and x are functions of time t. At time t1, the point (x,y) will lie on the line y = ax + t1. At time t2, (x,y) will lie on a different line y = ax + t2.

Likes Sahil Kukreja
Perhaps the RoboNerd can confirm that the problem statement is exactly as written in the OP?

It does look like there is something missing.

TSny said:
Hi, Sahil.
This does not necessarily imply that the trajectory is linear because the relation still involves the time t explicitly.

Suppose y = ax + t where a is a constant and y and x are functions of time t. At time t1, the point (x,y) will lie on the line y = ax + t1. At time t2, (x,y) will lie on a different line y = ax + t2.
yes i think you are correct.

Related to Question about path resulting from acceleration

1. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration?

Velocity is the rate of change of displacement with respect to time, while acceleration is the rate of change of velocity with respect to time. In simpler terms, velocity measures the speed and direction of an object, while acceleration measures how quickly an object's velocity is changing.

2. How does acceleration affect an object's path?

Acceleration directly affects an object's path by changing its velocity. This change in velocity can cause the object to speed up, slow down, or change direction. The direction of acceleration also plays a role in determining the path of an object, as it can be in the same direction as the velocity (causing the object to speed up) or in the opposite direction (causing the object to slow down).

3. What is the relationship between acceleration and time?

The relationship between acceleration and time is described by the equation a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is time. This equation shows that acceleration is directly proportional to the change in velocity and inversely proportional to the change in time.

4. How does the direction of acceleration affect the path of an object?

The direction of acceleration plays a significant role in determining the path of an object. If the acceleration is in the same direction as the velocity, the object will speed up and continue in the same direction. If the acceleration is in the opposite direction, the object will slow down and possibly change direction. If the acceleration is perpendicular to the velocity, the object will change direction without changing speed.

5. Can an object have constant acceleration and still change its path?

Yes, an object can have constant acceleration and still change its path. This is because acceleration is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. If the direction of acceleration changes, even if the magnitude stays the same, the object's path will be affected. This is commonly seen in circular motion, where an object has a constant speed but constantly changes direction due to a perpendicular acceleration.