Question about the sign of output voltage in clipper circuits

In summary, the conversation discusses labeling of terminals in a clipper circuit when the input voltage is positive or negative. The person asking the questions is confused about how to label the terminals correctly and gives an example of their professor labeling the upper terminal as + and the lower terminal as - when the input is positive. They also mention that flipping the circuit results in the opposite labeling. The conversation also mentions the possibility of the input being DC instead of AC and asks for the output when the input is +20V or -20V.
iampaul
I have attached an image of a clipper circuit below.

First Question: When the sinusoidal input is positive or negative, how do i know how to label it in the

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    606 bytes · Views: 392
Engineering news on Phys.org
This picture tells all you need to know about AC current

attachment.php?attachmentid=48819&stc=1&d=1341222430.png

Any more questions?

Attachments

• prąd.PNG
    prąd.PNG
    9.4 KB · Views: 540
sorry for the post, it isn't complete, i was interrupted by my classmates while typing.
Here's the continuation:
What I'm actually trying to ask is how do i label the positive and negative signs. I can't express myself clearly in English so i'll just give the situation: My professor labels the upper terminal in the input side as + and the lower terminal as - when the input voltage is positive and when the input is negative, the positive and negative signs are reversed. how do i know how to label the terminals when the input is positive or negative. I'm confused because, if i flip over the circuit, doing the opposite is also valid...

Just to clarify my question: Vin in the image I've given is positive and my professor has labelled the upper terminal in the input as + and the lower labelled as -. When the input is negative the + sign goes down and the - sign goes up.
Is it not possible that the when Vin is positive, the upper terminal is - and the lower is +.
If i flip the circuit backwards, this is the result.

Assume that the input is DC instead of AC.
If the input is +20V what is the output?
If the input is -20V what is the output?

Related to Question about the sign of output voltage in clipper circuits

1. What is a clipper circuit?

A clipper circuit is an electronic circuit that is used to limit or "clip" the voltage of a signal to a certain level. It is commonly used in audio and video equipment to prevent the signal from exceeding a certain threshold.

2. What is the purpose of a clipper circuit?

The main purpose of a clipper circuit is to protect electronic equipment from damage by limiting the voltage to a safe level. It is also used to shape or modify signals in various applications.

3. How does a clipper circuit work?

A clipper circuit works by using diodes to limit the voltage of a signal. Diodes are electronic components that only allow current to flow in one direction. By placing diodes in a circuit in a certain configuration, the voltage can be limited to a certain level.

4. What is the significance of the sign of output voltage in clipper circuits?

The sign of the output voltage in a clipper circuit can indicate whether the signal is being limited or not. If the output voltage is positive, it means that the signal is being clipped or limited. If the output voltage is negative, it means that the signal is being inverted or flipped upside down.

5. How does the sign of the output voltage affect the signal in a clipper circuit?

The sign of the output voltage can affect the signal in a clipper circuit by modifying its shape or amplitude. For example, if the output voltage is positive and the signal is being clipped, the peaks of the signal will be flattened. If the output voltage is negative and the signal is being inverted, the positive and negative peaks of the signal will be flipped.