Question about Trig Identities

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept behind trigonometric identities, specifically the sine addition formula and the proof for its validity for angles smaller than 90 degrees. It also addresses the use of the sine and cosine functions on arbitrary numbers using the unit circle definition. The conversation concludes with a thank you for the explanation and understanding of the topic.
Flumpster

Homework Statement

This isn't really a problem that was assigned to me, (I'm studying independently) I just have a question about the general concept behind some identities.

Homework Equations

sin(a+b) = sin(a)*cos(b) + cos(a)*sin(b)

sin(theta) = sin(180-theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to understand 2 things:

Firstly, I've been looking at proofs of the sine addition formula and a lot seem to be based on the proof you see pictured in Wikipedia

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proofs_of_trigonometric_identities#Sine)

and it looks to me like this proof would only apply when angles a+b are smaller than 90 degrees. Are these proofs meant to only prove this identity for sums smaller than 90, or do they actually prove it directly for all angles in some way which I'm not seeing?

The second thing is, I know that sin(theta) = sin(180-theta).

If there is a proof of something like the sine addition identity for angle sums smaller than 90, can I use the sin(theta) = sin(180-theta) identity (or any similar identity for values outside the 0-90 degree range) to apply the addition identity proof to larger angles?

(I know that the sine values repeat, I'm not sure if the proofs for one range of values can be applied to another range)

This is probably very basic stuff but this would really help me out a lot! Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is correct. The given proof applies only when all angles involved lie between 0 and 90 degrees (in radians, 0 to [itex]\pi/2[/itex]). If you want to be able to apply sine and cosine to arbitrary numbers, you really need a completely different definition- the common "circle" definition (In fact, in some textbooks, sine and cosine are called "circular functions" rather than "trigonometric functions"). That definition is:
Draw the unit circle on a coordinate system (the circle with center at (0, 0) and radius 1- equivalently, the graph of the relation [itex]x^2+ y^2= 1[/itex]). Given real number t, starting at (1, 0), measure around the circumference a distance t (counter-clockwise if t is positive, clock-wise if t is negative). cos(t) and sin(t) are defined to be the x and y coordinates, respectively, of the ending point. One can then use formulas for the distance between points (cos(a), sin(a)), (cos(b), sin(b)) and between (cos(a-b), sin(a-b)) and (1, 0) to get formulas for cos(a- b) and sin(a- b), the change the sign on b to get cos(a+b) and sin(a+b).

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks a lot for your help! :)

Related to Question about Trig Identities

What are trig identities and why are they important?

Trig identities are mathematical equations that involve trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. They are important because they allow us to simplify and manipulate trigonometric expressions, making it easier to solve complex problems in mathematics, physics, and engineering.

What is the difference between a trig identity and a trig equation?

A trig identity is an equation that is always true, regardless of the values of the variables involved. On the other hand, a trig equation is only true for specific values of the variables. Trig identities are useful for simplifying expressions, while trig equations are used to solve for unknown values.

What are the most commonly used trig identities?

Some of the most commonly used trig identities include the Pythagorean identities, which involve the squares of sine and cosine, as well as the angle sum and difference identities, which are used to find the sine, cosine, and tangent of sums and differences of angles. Other frequently used identities include the double angle, half angle, and product-to-sum identities.

How do I know when to use a specific trig identity?

The key to knowing when to use a specific trig identity is to first identify the problem you are trying to solve. Look for patterns in the given expression or equation, and try to match it with one of the known identities. Practice and familiarity with trig identities will also help you recognize which identity to use in a given situation.

What are some tips for memorizing trig identities?

One helpful tip for memorizing trig identities is to break them down into smaller parts and practice them separately. For example, focus on memorizing the Pythagorean identities first before moving on to the angle sum and difference identities. Another tip is to create flashcards or practice problems to help reinforce your memory. Additionally, using trig identities regularly in problem-solving will also help you remember them more easily.