Question on Android phone system: Moving files & the Gallery

yungman
Hi

Is this the best place to ask questions on Android phone as it's not exactly computer. I am trying to learn more on the filing system. I learn how to move files around by doing copy, move around. But I really hit a wall with "GALLERY". How to move file into gallery and all.

I have been searching online the whole day and I didn't seems to find what I want. All I want is to attach pictures or videos to tax to send to people. I can't manage to attach anything outside of "GALLERY".

1) Where is "GALLERY" in the filing system? I look through a lot of the folders and I can't find the "gallery" folder.

2) From searching online, sounds like there is a "Google Gallery App" to get to Gallery, I don't know what is it.

Any suggestion on books to learn more on this topic? I just cannot find it on line, it's just going in circles so far. If anyone knows any specific link that talk about this would be helpful for me.

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
I can be wrong, but I don't think Gallery has its own folder. If anything, it displays the content of the DCIM/Camera and DCIM/Screenshots. Chances are DCIM is not one, but two separate folders - one in the camera memory and one on the SD card (I can't check for sure at the moment as my S22 has only internal memory).

Try Total Commander app, it makes browsing files and directories reasonably intuitive (at least for those remembering Norton Commander times :wink: )

Likes berkeman, davenn and yungman
Borek said:
I can be wrong, but I don't think Gallery has its own folder. If anything, it displays the content of the DCIM/Camera and DCIM/Screenshots. Chances are DCIM is not one, but two separate folders - one in the camera memory and one on the SD card (I can't check for sure at the moment as my S22 has only internal memory).

Try Total Commander app, it makes browsing files and directories reasonably intuitive (at least for those remembering Norton Commander times :wink: )
I went to internal storage/DCIM/Camera and move a lot of pictures that are in the "GALLERY" to a new folder.

Also I move a lot of pictures that are in the "GALLERY" from internal storage/Download to new folder.

But when I go to tax, try to attach picture to the tax message. It go to "GALLERY" and all the pictures are still there.

This means those are not from DCIM or Download folders.

Where are the pictures from "Gallery" come from?

thanks

I am by no means an expert, I can tell only what I saw in the past :smile: My guess is that gallery (which is just an app) searches file system for images and displays them all, but doesn't move them to one place. It probably has an index of the files somewhere to avoid full file system scan every time it is used, but images are stored where different apps put them. On my previous mobile, S7, pictures taken in Pokemon Go were displayed by the gallery, but they were kept in the Pokemon Go directory (Pictures/Pokemon, as opposed co DCIM/Camera).

Also: I am not convinced there is a one, universal system at work, in my experience default apps coming with different Android versions differ quite seriously. 3rd party apps downloaded from the google play are reasonably stable in that regard.

There is no gallery folder. It's the pictures folder which can have subfolders for camera photos or screenshots.

Here are some possible things to try:

1. Using a File Manager App: Most Android phones come with a built-in file manager app (often called “Files” or “My Files”). You can download a file manager app from the Google Play Store if you don't have one.

Locate the file, then press and hold it to select it. Tap the three-dot menu icon (usually in the top-right corner) and select “Move” or “Copy.” Choose the destination as the “Pictures” folder or a specific subfolder.

The file should now appear in your Gallery app. If it doesn’t, try restarting the phone or clearing the Gallery app’s cache.

2. Using the Gallery App: Some app versions have an “Import” or “Add” option to select files from other locations on your phone. Sometimes, the files may already be in the Gallery but in a different folder. Check all folders within the Gallery app.

3. Using Google Photos: If you use Google Photos, you can move files into it by opening the Google Photos app, tapping “Library,” and then selecting the folder where the file is located. You can upload it to Google Photos if it’s not already there.

4. If the file doesn’t appear in the Gallery, it might be hidden. Ensure that the file doesn’t have a “.” (dot) in front of its name, which can make it hidden.

jedishrfu said:
There is no gallery folder. It's the pictures folder which can have subfolders for camera photos or screenshots.

That's not what I see on my mobile. There are at least two folders: DCIM (where photos taken with the camera and screenshots land), and Pictures (where other programs save images). Can be more.

I am familiar with Windows, moving files from folders to folders, easy. It's all built into the windows.

What are all the APPs? You mean the Android doesn't come with anything, you have to get APPs to do even file managements( to move, copy, delete).

This is the screen shot of my phone
Screenshot.jpg

Is (1) My File APP? (2)Gallery APP?

I installed (3) and (4). I still don't really know how to use it.

Sorry I am just learning Android. I cannot let my grand kids think I am too old.!!!