Question on force and simultaneous equations

In summary: Not a whole lot of algebra is needed. You just need to manipulate these two equations algebraically to get them into a form where you can use them to solve for the force and the angle.In summary, to find the direction and magnitude of the unknown angled pull force on an 80kg object experiencing a normal force of 510N and a friction coefficient of 0.33, you can use the equations FcosΘ - μN = 0 and FsinΘ - mg = 0, where F is the magnitude of the pull force and Θ is the angle of the pull force. By solving these equations simultaneously, you can arrive
Kalix

Homework Statement

Question: If an 80kg object experiences a normal force of 510N, and an unknown angled pull force. The coefficient of friction is 0.33. If the object moves with a constant velocity, what is the direction (angle) and magnitude (size) of the pull force?

m=80kg
a=0m/s
Fx=FcosΘ
Fy=FsinΘ
μ(mu)=0.33
Fk=510N x 0.33
g=-9.81
weight=80kg x 9.81

Homework Equations

Fx-fk=max (the "x" is a coefficient)
Fy-fk=may (the "y" is a coefficient)
Fs=μs x Fn
Fk=μk x Fn

The Attempt at a Solution

First I set up a simultaneous equation using Fx-fk=max and Fy-fk=may. This is what I got.
80kg+0m/s=FcosΘ -(510N)(0.33)
80kg+0m/s=FsinΘ -(80kg)(9.81)

This is where I get stuck. I am really bad at solving simultaneous equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kalix said:
a=0m/s

Careful. Units are crucial. This should read a = 0 m/s2 or a = 0 m/s^2 in plain text. To produce superscripts and subscripts , trying using the buttons labelled X2 and X2 above the reply box. Alternatively, you can manually put SUP and SUB tags around text. For example, the input [noparse]max[/noparse] will produce the output max

Kalix said:

Homework Equations

Fx-fk=max (the "x" is a coefficient)
Fy-fk=may (the "y" is a coefficient)

I assume you mean that the x and y are subscripts (not coefficients). Again, see the note above about subscripts.

In any case, the second equation there doesn't make any sense, because there is no friction in the vertical direction. Friction always acts to oppose the sliding motion between the two surfaces that are in contact. In this case, assuming that the sliding is horizontally across the surface, then the friction will also act horizontally, in the opposite direction.

Kalix said:

First I set up a simultaneous equation using Fx-fk=max and Fy-fk=may. This is what I got.

This looks better, but the plus signs in red should be multiplication signs. It's Fnet = ma, not Fnet = m+a.

Kalix said:

You are correct to apply the second law of motion, but it says the sum of the forces equals the product of mass and acceleration. You've set the the net force equal to the sum of mass and acceleration. (Also note that the units of accelerations meters per second per second, which is usually written as m/s2.)

So the sum of the forces in the forward direction is 80 kg * 0 m/s2 = 0 N.

You could also look at the sum of the forces vertically, and that also equals zero (assuming the 80 kg mass moves horizontally).

No simultaneous questions are necessary. Does this let you see how to proceed?

To fewmet: unfortunately my teacher requires us to do these problems with simultaneous equations. So if you do know how to do these types of equations that would be great.

To cepheid:I will be more careful with my signs/numbers. But could you still help me start the equation. I just don't know what the first step is.

Kalix said:
To fewmet: unfortunately my teacher requires us to do these problems with simultaneous equations. So if you do know how to do these types of equations that would be great.

To cepheid:I will be more careful with my signs/numbers. But could you still help me start the equation. I just don't know what the first step is.

You should have read the last sentence of my post more carefully. I told you that you ALREADY had the correct system of equations except for that error in which you added instead of multiplying (which I highlighted in red).

So, you HAVE the equations:

FcosΘ - μN = 0

FsinΘ - mg = 0

You have two equations and two unknowns, which means that you can arrive at a solution.

I understand that I have the correct equations but I don't know how to solve them? As I said I have great difficulty in isolating variables so I guess that is what I am asking.

cepheid said:
You should have read the last sentence of my post more carefully. I told you that you ALREADY had the correct system of equations except for that error in which you added instead of multiplying (which I highlighted in red).

FcosΘ - μN = 0

FsinΘ - mg = 0

You have two equations and two unknowns, which means that you can arrive at a solution.

I see I was hasty to assert there is no need for simultaneous equations. I should have looked at the problem on paper...

Kalix said:
I understand that I have the correct equations but I don't know how to solve them? As I said I have great difficulty in isolating variables so I guess that is what I am asking.

With 2 unknowns, the simplest method is:

- use the first equation to solve for one unknown in terms of the other one.

- substitute the expression you obtain into the second equation, which eliminates the first unknown altogether. Now use the equation to solve for the second unknown

Kalix said:

We really cannot do the algebra for you on homework. As cepheid said,

FcosΘ - μN = 0

FsinΘ - mg = 0

One general approach is to solve both for a variable that have in common (F or Θ, in this case, and you might find it easier to solve for F). Then set those two expressions equal to each other and solve for the other variable the original equations have in common (Θ or F).

(It might be helpful to recall from your trigonometry that sin Θ/cos Θ = tan Θ).

Related to Question on force and simultaneous equations

1. What is the relationship between force and simultaneous equations?

The relationship between force and simultaneous equations lies in the application of Newton's second law of motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be represented mathematically through simultaneous equations, where the forces acting on an object can be equated to its mass times its acceleration.

2. How can simultaneous equations be used to solve problems involving force?

Simultaneous equations allow us to find the unknown forces acting on an object by equating them to the object's mass times its acceleration. By setting up and solving these equations, we can determine the magnitude and direction of the forces, as well as the acceleration of the object.

3. Can simultaneous equations be applied to non-uniform forces?

Yes, simultaneous equations can be applied to non-uniform forces. In this case, the equations may become more complex, as we need to incorporate variables such as position and time in addition to mass and acceleration. However, the fundamental principle of equating forces to mass times acceleration remains the same.

4. How do we determine the direction of forces in simultaneous equations?

The direction of forces in simultaneous equations can be determined by considering the signs of the variables in the equations. If a force is acting in the positive direction, its corresponding variable will have a positive coefficient in the equation. If a force is acting in the negative direction, its corresponding variable will have a negative coefficient in the equation.

5. Can simultaneous equations be used to solve problems involving multiple forces acting on an object?

Yes, simultaneous equations can be used to solve problems involving multiple forces acting on an object. By setting up and solving equations for each individual force, we can then combine the results to determine the overall motion of the object. This is known as the principle of superposition, where the total force acting on an object is equal to the sum of all individual forces acting on it.

Back