Question regarding hydrophobic forces

• Thread starter johndoe3344
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, at room temperature hydrophobic forces are mostly entropy driven. Increasing the temperature strengthens these forces. However, the equation dG = dH - TdS shows that at equilibrium, an increase in temperature leads to a decrease in entropy. This may seem contradictory, but it is important to consider that the enthalpy also increases with temperature. Additionally, at equilibrium, the system is no longer in equilibrium, so the change in enthalpy and entropy must also be taken into account. It is also important to note that for a spontaneous event, G must be negative, and increasing the temperature can make this term more negative due to the increase in entropy.
johndoe3344
I've been reading a bit, and I thought I understood it, but now I'm really confused:

I know that hydrophobic forces at room temperature are almost entirely entropy driven: because a system aims for maximal entropy, it pushes non-polar molecules into an aggregate in order to reduce the clathrate structures that water must form.

I also know that if you increase the temperature, then the hydrophobic forces get stronger.

Here's the problem: dG = dH - TdS;
At equilibrium, dG = 0 so dH = TdS.
In other words, if I increase the temperature, the entropy decreases. This would mean that a decrease in entropy leads to an increase in hydrophobic forces. Isn't this contradictory? I mean, a decrease in entropy would mean more order = more clathrate structures, so shouldn't this result in a decrease in hydrophobic forces? What's wrong with my reasoning?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

I am not an expert on thermodynamics but does the enthalpy not increase as well with temperature - the values you get from a table is at 298 K so ...

By just raising the temperature your system is no longer in equilibrium this might be an approximation for certain temperature ranges - the enthalpy is a function of the heatcapacity and temperature changes. At equilibrium you can than see if the entropy of your system has increased.

For an event to be spontaneous G has to be negative so if entropy is increased the TdS term becomes larger, likewise with temperature, so G is more negative.

As stated above, changing T shifts the eqm position so dH (at the old T) is no longer = to TdS (at the new T).

Related to Question regarding hydrophobic forces

1. What are hydrophobic forces and how do they work?

Hydrophobic forces are interactions between nonpolar molecules or groups that cause them to repel from water molecules. This is because water molecules are polar and are more attracted to one another than to nonpolar molecules. Hydrophobic forces work by minimizing the contact between nonpolar molecules and water, which results in a decrease in the overall energy of the system.

2. How do hydrophobic forces contribute to protein folding?

Hydrophobic forces play a crucial role in protein folding. The hydrophobic portions of a protein tend to cluster together in the interior, away from the aqueous environment, while the hydrophilic portions remain on the surface. This is because the hydrophobic forces between nonpolar amino acids are stronger than the interactions between water and nonpolar amino acids. This results in a more stable and compact protein structure.

3. Can hydrophobic forces be disrupted?

Yes, hydrophobic forces can be disrupted by the introduction of polar molecules, such as detergents or polar solvents. These polar molecules can interact with nonpolar molecules and weaken the hydrophobic forces, causing the nonpolar molecules to become more soluble in water.

4. How do hydrophobic forces affect the behavior of oil and water?

Hydrophobic forces are responsible for the immiscibility of oil and water. Oil is composed of nonpolar molecules, while water is composed of polar molecules. This results in strong hydrophobic forces between the oil molecules, causing them to repel from the water molecules and form a separate layer on top.

5. Can hydrophobic forces be utilized in industrial processes?

Yes, hydrophobic forces can be utilized in various industrial processes, such as oil extraction, purification of proteins, and water treatment. By taking advantage of the strong interactions between nonpolar molecules, these processes can be optimized for efficiency and cost-effectiveness.