Questions about imaginary number and root of 4

In summary: Do you mean it is a "useless concept"? If so, then you are very wrong. If you mean something else, you should explain.
Shing
I am thinking that
if the imaginary number is bigger than the other number,
is it right to say that:
i> 5 ?
7i> 3i ?
Does i has magnitude?

if
[tex]Z_1=4+5i[/tex]
then
[tex]Z_2=1-3i[/tex]
whether [tex]Z_1>Z_2 or Z_2>Z_1[/tex] is true?

If we say [tex]Z_a[/tex] is bigger than [tex]Z_b[/tex], does that means the absolute value of these complex number?

Thank you :)

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Also
I have been wonder why [tex]\sqrt{4} =2 [/tex]
but why NOT -2, negative two?

Shing said:
I am thinking that
is it right to say that:
i> 5 ?
7i> 3i ?
Does i has magnitude?

if
[tex]Z_1=4+5i[/tex]
then
[tex]Z_2=1-3i[/tex]

If we say Z_a is bigger than Z_b, does that means the absooluate value of these complex number?

No, "i" is not bigger than any real number.
As it happens, when we talk about complex and imaginary numbers, we cannot have an ordering relation between them.
Numerous complex numbers will have the same magnitude, so that a number's magnitude cannot serve as an identificatory trait of that number.

Shing said:
Also
Good question!

Answer:
Because we have, by convenience, DEFINED the square root thusly.

Similarly, by convenience, we have defined 1 not to be a prime number.

Shing said:
I am thinking that
is it right to say that:
i> 5 ?
7i> 3i ?
Does i has magnitude?
It is not possible to assign an "order" to the complex numbers in such a way as to have an "ordered field" (that is, so that if a< b and 0< c, then ac< bc and if a< b, then a+c< b+ c (for any c)). For example, if we were to define an order so that 0< i, then we must have 0*i< i*i or 0< -1. Since this is not necessarily "regular order" that is not a contradiction itself but multiplying by i again, 0*i< -1*i or 0< -i. Adding i to both sides, we must have 0+i< -i+ i or i< 0, contradicting 0< i. But if we try to define an order so that i< 0, we can, in the same way, show that 0< i getting the same contradiction.

if
[tex]Z_1=4+5i[/tex]
then
[tex]Z_2=1-3i[/tex]
Neither is true- as I just showed there is no way to compare complex numbers.

If we say [tex]Z_a[/tex] is bigger than [tex]Z_b[/tex], does that means the absolute value of these complex number?
I've never seen anyone say that Za> Zb for Za and Zb complex numbers. If you mean to say one has larger absolute value than the other, then you must say |Za|> |Zb|.

Shing said:
Also
We define it that way because fractional powers with even denominators give real results only for positive numbers. If we want to be able to say that [itex]\sqrt{x}= x^{1/2}[/itex] (which is a very useful thing to do) and then combine it with other such functions, we need to stick to positive numbers.

Thank you so much, Arildno and HallsofIvy!:smile:

But I don't understand that,would you explain a bit more please?
We define it that way because fractional powers with even denominators give real results only for positive numbers. If we want to be able to say that Click to see the LaTeX code for this image (which is a very useful thing to do) and then combine it with other such functions, we need to stick to positive numbers.

imaginary number is so amusing, I am thinking of the geometry meaning of some operations of complex number.

I was thinking if these are true:
[tex] Z_1\times Z_2[/tex] produce a new complex number "vector" [tex]Z_3[/tex]
[tex]{Z_1}^{1/2}\times {Z_2}^{1/2}[/tex]produce a new complex number[tex]Z_3[/tex] too

When I was thinking of the reciprocal of a complex number [tex]Z_1[/tex]

[tex] {1\over {Z_1}} = {{x-iy}\over {x^2+y^2}} [/tex]

I was shocked!

Does that mean [tex]{1\over {Z_1}}[/tex] is [tex]Z_1[/tex]* times the reciprocal of the area of the square magnitude of [tex]Z_1[/tex]([tex]|Z_1|^2[/tex])?

If so, what is the meaning of a reciprocal of an area?

Also, is [tex]{1\over {Z_1}} [/tex] still a complex number?

Shing said:
Also, is [tex]{1\over {Z_1}} [/tex] still a complex number?

Yes, it is, unless Z_1 is zero.

Try to relate the geometric meaning of 1/z to the circle inversion.

Shing said:
I am thinking that
is it right to say that:
i> 5 ?
7i> 3i ?
Does i has magnitude?

if
[tex]Z_1=4+5i[/tex]
then
[tex]Z_2=1-3i[/tex]

"i" is nothin..as we say an imaginary number n nothin else..when we say that Za is greater than Zb..we mean to take their real part n not the imaginary parts

You can however compare absolute values of complexes. If you have [tex]Z_1=4+5i[/tex] and [tex]Z_2=1-3i[/tex] then you can look at [tex]|Z_1|[/tex] and [tex]|Z_2|[/tex].

This will tell you the complex numbers distance away from zero in the complex plane.

In general let [tex]Z = a+Bi[/tex] then [tex]|Z| = \sqrt{a^2 + b^2}[/tex]

Now you can say [tex]|Z_1|>|Z_2|[/tex].

nandu11 said:
"i" is nothin..as we say an imaginary number n nothin else..when we say that Za is greater than Zb..we mean to take their real part n not the imaginary parts

I have never seen such a statement! And, exactly what do you mean by '"i" is nothin"?

nandu11 said:
I have never seen anyone say "Za> Zb" when they meant Re(Z_a)> Re(Z_b). And what do you mean by ' "i" is nothin'?

Related to Questions about imaginary number and root of 4

1. What is an imaginary number?

An imaginary number is a number that, when squared, results in a negative number. It is represented by the letter "i" and is defined as the square root of -1.

2. What is the difference between an imaginary number and a real number?

The main difference between imaginary and real numbers is that imaginary numbers are not located on the number line. Real numbers can be positive, negative, or zero, while imaginary numbers are always a multiple of i.

3. What is the purpose of imaginary numbers?

Imaginary numbers are used to solve complex equations that cannot be solved with real numbers alone. They are also used in many real-world applications, such as in electrical engineering and signal processing.

4. How do you find the square root of -4?

The square root of -4 is 2i. This is because when you square 2i, you get -4. It is important to note that the square root of a negative number always results in an imaginary number.

5. Can imaginary numbers be used in everyday math?

While imaginary numbers may not have a physical representation, they are still widely used in many fields of math and science. However, they are not typically used in everyday math problems or calculations.