Questions in derivatives I want to check my answer

In summary, a derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is important in various fields, such as calculus, physics, economics, and engineering, to model and analyze real-world phenomena. To check for accuracy, one can use rules and formulas for finding derivatives or online calculators. Common mistakes when finding derivatives include forgetting the chain rule and making arithmetic errors. An example of finding a derivative is using the power rule and constant multiple rule to find the derivative of a function, and then checking the answer by plugging in a value for x.
r-soy
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Post the question and your answer, then?

1 and 2 are incorrect. 3 is correct.

There are two mistakes in #1.
(x + .5)2 [itex]\neq[/itex] x2 + .25

The cancelling you did is incorrect. The only time you can cancel is when the same factor appears in the numerator and denominator. You canceled terms (things that are added together) rather than factors (things that are multiplied together).

In 2, there is an error when you multiplied (x2 - 1)(x2 + x + 1).

Related to Questions in derivatives I want to check my answer

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. In other words, it measures how much a function is changing at a specific point.

2. Why are derivatives important?

Derivatives are important in many areas of mathematics and science, including calculus, physics, economics, and engineering. They are used to model and analyze various real-world phenomena, such as motion, growth, and optimization problems.

3. How do I check my answer for a derivative?

The best way to check your answer for a derivative is to use the rules and formulas for finding derivatives and work through the problem step by step. You can also use online calculators or software programs to verify your answer.

4. What are the common mistakes when finding derivatives?

Some common mistakes when finding derivatives include forgetting to apply the chain rule, mixing up the placement of parentheses, and making simple arithmetic errors. It is important to carefully follow the rules and double check your work to avoid these mistakes.

5. Can you provide an example of finding a derivative?

Sure! Let's say we have the function f(x) = 3x^2 + 5x. To find the derivative of this function, we would use the power rule and the constant multiple rule. The derivative would be f'(x) = 6x + 5. We can check this answer by plugging in a value for x, such as x = 2. The original function would give us f(2) = 19, and the derivative would give us f'(2) = 17. This shows that the rate of change at x = 2 is 17, which is the slope of the tangent line at that point.