Questions in Physics: Kinetic Energy & Penetrance of Materials

• Thread starter scottbekerham
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, it is possible for a particle to lose kinetic energy gradually and reach a lower velocity at a specified point, as seen in proton beam therapy. Additionally, there is a relationship between the velocity or energy of a particle and the penetrance of materials, and molecules can be manipulated to move at a specified velocity and then gradually lose energy through the application of external forces. This information is relevant for medical physics and can be used in research for college.
scottbekerham
I have no idea about physics and i do not even remember anything about high school physics . I'm a medical student but i have a question in physics . this question may sound strange or stupid but if anyone can answer me , it wold be appreciated .
if a particle moves at a specified velocity as a part of radiation . can this particle lose kinetic energy gradually so as to reach a much lower velocity at a specified calculated point ?
is there a relationship between the velocity or energy of that particle and penetrance of materials?
can we make a molecule (any molecule ) to move at a specified velocity and then gradually lose energy?
i want the answer to these question as I'm doing a research for the college

Physics news on Phys.org
scottbekerham said:
if a particle moves at a specified velocity as a part of radiation . can this particle lose kinetic energy gradually so as to reach a much lower velocity at a specified calculated point ?
If it is a particle with mass, such as an electron or proton then yes.
It needs some external force to slow it down, such as a magnetic field. Electrons losing energy in a magnetic field are used to generate X-rays for example.
A masslass particle such as light can't have any speed other than 'c' (in vacuum)

is there a relationship between the velocity or energy of that particle and penetrance of materials?
Partly, it also depends on the method of absorbtion.
Light is absorbed by bonds in the material which have the correct energy to match that of the photon, so particlular wavelengths can be effectively blocked while others pass through.
Different mechanisms apply to just bulk absorbtion of things like xrays.

can we make a molecule (any molecule ) to move at a specified velocity and then gradually lose energy?
If you apply a force, yes. So if the moelcule is charged you can slow it down with an electric field. A mass spectrometer puts the same charge on molecules of different mass, an electric field then slows them with the same force - since heavier molecules will slow less (imagine putting the same braking force on a car and truck) you can measure the masses of the molecules and identify them.

Hi mgbphys,
i think he need some information on attenuation of x-rays [medical physics]..if this is what you need please reply..i can give you some relevant information.

scottbekerham said:
Essentially,yes. That is the basis of proton beam therapy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proton_therapy

I would first like to commend you for your curiosity and interest in exploring different scientific topics, even outside of your field of study. It is always important to have a well-rounded understanding of various scientific concepts.

To answer your first question, yes, a particle can lose kinetic energy gradually as it travels as part of radiation. This is known as energy loss or energy attenuation, and it occurs due to interactions between the particle and the materials it passes through. These interactions can cause the particle to lose energy and slow down, eventually reaching a lower velocity.

As for the relationship between the velocity or energy of a particle and the penetrance of materials, there is indeed a connection. The higher the energy of the particle, the more penetrating it will be. This is because higher energy particles have more momentum and can pass through materials with greater ease. This is why high-energy radiation, like gamma rays, can penetrate deeper into materials compared to low-energy radiation, like alpha particles.

In terms of making a molecule move at a specified velocity and then gradually losing energy, this is possible through various methods such as controlling the temperature or applying external forces. However, it is important to note that molecules do not typically have a constant velocity, as they are constantly moving and colliding with other molecules.

I hope this helps answer your questions and provides some insight into the relationship between kinetic energy and penetrance of materials. As always, it is important to continue researching and learning about different scientific topics to expand your knowledge and understanding. Good luck with your research!

Related to Questions in Physics: Kinetic Energy & Penetrance of Materials

1. What is kinetic energy and how is it calculated?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

2. How does the kinetic energy of an object change with its mass and velocity?

The kinetic energy of an object increases with both its mass and velocity. This means that a heavier object with the same velocity will have more kinetic energy than a lighter object, and an object with a higher velocity will have more kinetic energy than an object with a lower velocity.

3. What is the relationship between kinetic energy and work?

Kinetic energy and work are directly related. The work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy, as described by the work-energy theorem: W = ΔKE.

4. How does the penetrance of a material affect its ability to absorb kinetic energy?

The penetrance of a material, or its ability to allow objects to pass through it, is related to its density and strength. Materials with high density and strength are more likely to absorb and dissipate kinetic energy, while materials with low density and strength may allow objects to pass through with minimal energy absorption.

5. How is kinetic energy involved in collisions between objects?

In collisions between objects, kinetic energy plays a crucial role. In an elastic collision, where there is no loss of energy, the total kinetic energy of the objects before and after the collision remains the same. In an inelastic collision, where some energy is lost, the total kinetic energy decreases after the collision. In both cases, the distribution of kinetic energy between the objects may change.