Radioactivity in quantum physics

Kairos
In a block of 1 kg of radioactive material that has reached its half-life, are the atoms in a superposed disintegrated/undecayed state (50-50), or are they all individually determined (50% disintegrated and 50% undecayed) before observation ?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is Schrödinger's cat over again. In a 1 kg block, decoherence will be quite fast, and no individual atom left in a superposition for long.

Likes Demystifier and Vanadium 50
DrClaude said:
This is Schrödinger's cat over again. In a 1 kg block, decoherence will be quite fast, and no individual atom left in a superposition for long.
Thank you, so it's a question of the number of atoms. In this case, could a single atom be the superposition of an infinite number of decay states following the exponential decay curve? For example, in the case of slow beta- radioactivity, the emission of an electron would be spread out over billions of years? and it would never end, asymptotically.

Kairos said:
Thank you, so it's a question of the number of atoms.
It is a question of an interaction with an environment. In this case, the other atoms act as the environment for a given atom, and it doesn't take long before those other atoms "observe" the decaying atom.

Kairos said:
In this case, could a single atom be the superposition of an infinite number of decay states following the exponential decay curve? For example, in the case of slow beta- radioactivity, the emission of an electron would be spread out over billions of years? and it would never end, asymptotically.
Theoretically, an isolated atom will have a unitary time evolution and always be in a superposition. Of course, so such system is possible in reality.

Likes Demystifier, PeroK and Kairos
After the inevitable decoherence, there are two possibilities: either the atom is disintegrated and the story ends there, or it is not disintegrated. In the latter case, does it immediately re-enter a nondecayed/disintegrated superposition state?

This would mean that an unstable atom is constantly oscillating between coherence and decoherence?

• Skeptical
Likes Vanadium 50 and Motore
Kairos said:
In a block of 1 kg of radioactive material that has reached its half-life, are the atoms in a superposed disintegrated/undecayed state (50-50), or are they all individually determined (50% disintegrated and 50% undecayed) before observation ?
After one half-life of a radioactive atom the probability is ##1/2## for the atom being non-decayed, and ##1/2## for being decayed. A probability ##1/2## for the two alternative possibilities (here: decayed/non-decayed) means that the two incompatible situations can now be considered equally possible at the instant of time meant by the prediction. These probabilities are valid for each radioactive atom in a bunch of ##N## radioactive isotopes of the same kind. In case of an observation on that bunch, half of the atoms are decayed and half of the atoms are non-decayed (if ##N>>>1##). That’s all what physics has to say, nothing more or less.

Last edited:
Kairos said:
After the inevitable decoherence, there are two possibilities: either the atom is disintegrated and the story ends there, or it is not disintegrated.
You are assuming that the quantum wave function is the physical state of a single atom. That is interpretation dependent. Not all QM interpretations treat the wave function that way. If you want to discuss how a particular interpretation works, that discussion belongs in a separate thread in the interpretations subforum.

As far as basic QM is concerned, @Lord Jestocost is correct: it gives you the probability of decay as a function of time. That's all you can say. You can't say anything about what the atom is or is not "actually doing". QM, as a model independent of interpretation, says nothing about that. It only tells you the probabilities of different possible measurement outcomes.

Likes Kairos
PeterDonis said:
You are assuming that the quantum wave function is the physical state of a single atom.
Yes, that's it. I'm looking for an interpretation of single atom decay in the same way as the Malus polarization experiment with single photons.

The purely probabilistic 1/2,1/2 description is similar to that of classical physics.

Kairos said:
I'm looking for an interpretation of single atom decay
Due to this, I have moved this thread to the interpretations subforum.

Do we really need another Schroedinger's Cat variation?

Likes Lord Jestocost
No, I just wanted to know how radioactivity is viewed theoretically in orthodox quantum physics. DrClaude's post #4 is very instructive for me: decayed/undecayed superposition very quickly destroyed by the environment under ordinary conditions. In my old (classical) physics classes, radioactivity was presented as insensitive to the physical conditions of the environment; it plays at least a small role in this decoherence..

My additional question in post #5 following this answer may be far-fetched. Sorry about that.

Likes Demystifier
Kairos said:
In my old (classical) physics classes, radioactivity was presented as insensitive to the physical conditions of the environment; it plays at least a small role in this decoherence..
See my https://www.arxiv.org/abs/2010.07575 Sec. 4.3 for an explanation why it looks as if the environment is irrelevant, despite the fact that there is no decay without environment.

• Informative
Likes berkeman, PeterDonis, Kairos and 1 other person