Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
  • #2,031
I think it's all perfectly ok to me, why don't you try to love someone of the same sex to see how the new flavor may change your mind ? I tell you my silliness.
When I saw any handsome macho man passing by, I "felt" their beauty (to make some part of my bodily insides i.e around my neck, chest, stomach or bladder top secret some strange, sudden hormone and thus it choked me in a very short moment). I did it many times a day simply because just so many good looking men walked around me. But I was shy and ashamed in public if I kept looking at people with such a Babe-I-wan-cha urge, although I almost couldn't resist.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,032
Silicon Waffle said:
I tell you my silliness.

here's mine...

many years ago i caught the latter part of a PBS broadcast of "Twelfth Night".
An actor portraying the young boy Cesario looked, well, effeminate,

upload_2015-8-13_13-8-22.png

and i was getting quite uncomfortable with just how curvy and soft he appeared to be.

Imagine my relief when in the last scene Cesario is revealed to be a lovely young girl named Viola masquerading as a boy..
"He" turned out to be the incredibly gorgeous Helen Hunt ,
She did a GREAT job with the part.

• #2,033
jim hardy said:
here's mine...

View attachment 87280
and i was getting quite uncomfortable with just how curvy and soft he appeared to be.

Imagine my relief when in the last scene Cesario is revealed to be a lovely young girl named Viola masquerading as a boy..

Maybe next time they can have a woman masquerading as a boy masquerading as a girl (?!?)

• #2,034
Jesus Christ, massive explosion in TianJing.
The footage is unreal.

Likes lisab
  • #2,035
WWGD said:
Maybe next time they can have a woman masquerading as a boy masquerading as a girl (?!?)
sounds vaguely familiar... maybe "Shakespeare in Love"?

• #2,037
Great idea. Again !
Microsoft decides to , yet again, change the layout of its Outlook email program. But it is, or seems, mostly superficial
and arbitrary, no real improvement. I think they want to give the impression they are always
improving, when they are just making cosmetic changes, which just confuses the hell out of me.

• #2,038
HomogenousCow said:
Jesus Christ, massive explosion in TianJing.
The footage is unreal.

It's awful. I feel so bad for those people.

• #2,039
WWGD said:
Great idea. Again !
Microsoft decides to , yet again, change the layout of its Outlook email program. But it is, or seems, mostly superficial
and arbitrary, no real improvement. I think they want to give the impression they are always
improving, when they are just making cosmetic changes, which just confuses the hell out of me.
Indeed, no real improvement. Actually they try to force all the other "socially thing" programs on you. So if you just want to check your email inbox, good luck. You may get there in five minutes or so. I've complained to no avail.

• #2,040
jim hardy said:
here's mine...

View attachment 87280

My case was totally different . In fact I did know well who I was right in the first place but I kept making a joke with myself in public and acted as if I had always been a real man to feel the unreal excitement. I also had friends who were nice to always believe I was a real man. My jokes were meant to make them believe more in my masculinity. Am I cruel ? I think so.

• #2,041
dlgoff said:
Indeed, no real improvement. Actually they try to force all the other "socially thing" programs on you. So if you just want to check your email inbox, good luck. You may get there in five minutes or so. I've complained to no avail.
Thanks for feeling my pain. How about we do this, which I already suggested in some forum here:
We find Bill Gates' car (assuming he drives it himself) and every time he changes either the interface on Windows or the one in some other of his products, we move the steering wheel somewhere else, ditto for the brakes, etc. which we can put in the roof of the car or in the trunk, and/or we remove one of the doors , and have him figure out how to drive the car that way, so he can feel the way Microsoft users do when his majesty Bill feels like improvising.

Likes dlgoff
  • #2,042
speaking of "forcing socially things on you"

have you tried windows 10 ?

At install time there's a 'twenty questions' session
where you need to tell it to not automatically track your web surfing and send same to microsoft for personalized advertising
and to not give out your wifi password
and so on and so on
see https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=230462 ,,, though a lot of it was above my level

I found 10's "cute yuppie toy " automatic features so annoying and frustrating that after a week i went back to 7.
Really, i wish i could go back to DOS.

Last edited:
  • #2,043
I just finished watching Code Geass. It's one of the best (if not the best) stories I have ever come across - beautifully crafted, skillfully narrated, cleverly paced, and ingeniously concluded.
The incredible trauma in the story really got me though. It's definitely worth a watch, although you should grab a few tissue papers if you're not particularly strong hearted (it's very Game of Thrones-esque, so don't get too attached to anyone character) and avoid any Internet spoilers too if you decide to dedicate yourself to 50 episodes amazement.

• #2,044
PWiz said:
I just finished watching Code Geass. It's one of the best (if not the best) stories I have ever come across - beautifully crafted, skillfully narrated, cleverly paced, and ingeniously concluded.
The incredible trauma in the story really got me though. It's definitely worth a watch, although you should grab a few tissue papers if you're not particularly strong hearted (it's very Game of Thrones-esque, so don't get too attached to anyone character) and avoid any Internet spoilers too if you decide to dedicate yourself to 50 episodes amazement.
If you are okay with a high degree of morbidity you might want to watch Monster.

http://animehaven.org/dubbed/monster-episode-1

Likes PWiz
  • #2,045
Enigman said:
If you are okay with a high degree of morbidity you might want to watch Monster.

I am not a fan of such anime, most of which are built on good stories but filmed at very low frame rates. 2D animation by Walt Disney I guess is almost outdated now but I am sure it will always remain as one of my favorites ever.

• #2,046
Enigman said:

Actually I'm more into intellectually engaging and morally challenging anime (like Death Note, etc), but I'll give it a try nonetheless.

• #2,047
jim hardy said:
have you tried windows 10 ?
No way. :oldeek: I had to uninstall update KB3035583 to get rid of the "reserve a windows 10 copy" application. Now I check for "more information" on every KB-update before downloading. :olduhh: My daughter was visiting and last night we were discussing this. Her opinion was that they kept dumbing down the operating systems.
jim hardy said:
... after a week i went back to 7.
Smart man. :approve:
jim hardy said:
Really, i wish i could go back to DOS
What version would you like Jim? I would recommend DOS 4.0. I can send it right away. :oldbiggrin:

• #2,048
dlgoff said:
Now I check for "more information" on every KB-update before downloading.
I've been doing that also. As far as I remember, they've been showing up mainly in the optional updates section. It's a shame that MS is pushing an OS through the process that is supposed to be for software patches and virus definitions. It leaves me always wondering if I didn't load a patch that I should have or if I loaded Windows 10 malware when I shouldn't have.

I decided to Google "stop microsoft from pushing windows 10 updates" and found multiple links to stories like this:
Microsoft Releases Tool to Stop Automatic Windows 10 Updates

Closer examination seems to indicate that the title is misleading. It should read that they've released a tool that restores the ability to selectively install updates. Apparantely, Windows 10 takes that away. The tool was released because the updates kept trying to install drivers that were breaking and, once enough of the Windows 10 OS had infected your system, you couldn't stop it from trying over and over. Another reason I don't want their new OS. Looks like my next system is going to have a Linux OS. I've heard that Apple makes a nice computer.

Likes dlgoff
  • #2,049
Borg said:
I've heard that Apple makes a nice computer.
This. Solve all your problems.

Likes Borg
  • #2,050
zoobyshoe said:
This. Solve all your problems.
But, but, ... I just laid my mother to rest yesterday now Windows? :oldcry:

• #2,051
I've decided that 5 year olds, are universally evil.*

I had 3 of them on my front porch the other day, trying to abscond with one of my new goldfish.

pf.2015.08.12.1535.chook.kids.jpg

I took this image, from INSIDE my house.
When I opened the door, they scattered, like rats!

But then, they stopped, and looked over their shoulders at me.
I asked, in a mean old man grumpy voice; "What do you want!"

They said; "A goldfish".

So I went outside, and caught one for them.
And they took it home.

--------
*When I was 5, I taught my little brother how to steal candy, from the convenience store. :smile:
The convenience store owner, being wise to my nefarious deeds, notified my dad one day as we walked in, and dad snuck up behind us, and asked if I had money to pay for the candy. Oooops!

• #2,052
Now that their general manager have signed the documents. they just need to pass it on for me to sign, and then I will be heading for my second full-time job :biggrin:

• #2,053
As much as I love traveling, I hate packing!:oldeyes:

• #2,054
Lisa! said:
As much as I love traveling, I hate packing!:oldeyes:
Women tend to pack way more stuff than man do. It seems as if they were moving to the place where they are traveling.

• #2,055
Its strange that every time I see the phrase "ground meat", it takes me some time to realize its not ground as in Earth's surface, but the p.p. of grind!
Just imagine me thinking:"WTF, what is ground meat?"!

• #2,056
Shyan said:
Its strange that every time I see the phrase "ground meat", it takes me some time to realize its not ground as in Earth's surface, but the p.p. of grind!
! < Snip>

Grind has a passport?!?

• #2,057
WWGD said:
Grind has a passport?!?
Gosh, you never had ground any meat?! Of course you need passport for doing that!

Likes WWGD
  • #2,058
dlgoff said:
No way. :oldeek: I had to uninstall update KB3035583 to get rid of the "reserve a windows 10 copy" application. Now I check for "more information" on every KB-update before downloading. :olduhh: My daughter was visiting and last night we were discussing this. Her opinion was that they kept dumbing down the operating systems.

There's a reason they need to dumb it down. Mostly because most people are dumb.
Heck I'm trying to "teach" my baby sister to be a critical thinker. Instead of solving problems I tell them to google the sh*t out of the issue.
Not only computer problems but any problem. The other day she wanted to eat pomegranate but didn't know how to get the seeds out.
Told her to google it, she still hasn't because she's stubborn and at "that" age. It was one of the first times my mom supported my answer.

Oddly my mom has a decent schooling regarding computers. She even worked with old mainframes, pre-internet. She seems to have lost most of that knowledge...

Likes dlgoff
  • #2,059
In political-themed tv shows, when a senator or rep appears, his/her name is followed by their political affiliation and state (both abbreviated). So when you have a Democrat from Ohio, you get : Mr/Mrs so-and-so, followed by ( D-OH). I once just got a glimpse of it while distracted and thought it was a Simpson's thing: D-OH!

Likes lisab
  • #2,060
Finally understood the difference:
Whining: When you don't like the person doing the complaint and/or disagree with the complaint. Otherwise, the person is complaining.

• #2,061
Shyan said:
Just imagine me thinking:"WTF, what is ground meat?"!
This is probably a goal of genetic engineers, to bypass the cow, and even the grass, and create meat that just grows straight out of the ground.

Likes WWGD, ShayanJ and PWiz
  • #2,062
zoobyshoe said:
This is probably a goal of genetic engineers, to bypass the cow, and even the grass, and create meat that just grows straight out of the ground.

Whatever you do, do not tell Shyan the German word for Strawberries. (Erdbeeren)

----------------------
Erde: earth, Earth, ground, soil, world, dirt
Beeren: berries

And don't invite mfb either. I'm sure he'll argue that it doesn't really mean "dirt berries":
Es zimplee means zat zee berries are layingk on zee grund. Doch! Sind diese beeren gemacht von straw? Nein, dumkopf!

ps. Translation available on request.

Likes dlgoff
  • #2,063
Shoot for a star, hit a bird. Shoot for a bird, hit a rock.

• #2,064
Tech entrepreneur lost $1 million and made it back before 25
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/from-...d-back--indinero-s-jessica-mah-172014956.html

One of the key elements to inDinero’s rebirth? Couples therapy. Last year Mah and cofounder Andy Su, 24 decided to go to marriage therapy to improve their business partnership. The couple has never been in a romantic relationship. “Business partners have conflict sometimes,” she explains. “We yell at each other but we love each other too. Marriage counseling has really helped us figure out how to be better partners for each other.”
Hmmm - a business (partnership) is like a marriage.

Likes OmCheeto