Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
fresh_42 said:
How about The Impactor in contradiction to The Target?
No because I mean the impact as an adjective to their awesomeness. Like when someone impacts you.

I was impacted by his/her awesomeness.

Physics news on Phys.org
Psinter said:
No because I mean the impact as an adjective to their awesomeness. Like when someone impacts you.

I was impacted by his/her awesomeness.
I think you need to brush up on the meaning of "adjective."

zoobyshoe said:
I think you need to brush up on the meaning of "adjective."
Why? o_O

Psinter said:
Why?
"Mentor The Impact" would be using it as a noun.

zoobyshoe said:
"Mentor The Impact" would be using it as a noun.
I'm not so sure. It is a noun, but I am also describing them. A nounjective? :confused: Ignore that, now I'm just inventing things. :biggrin:

Psinter said:
I'm not so sure. It is a noun, but I am also describing them. A nounjective? :confused: Ignore that, now I'm just inventing things.
Consider:

Conan The Destroyer

or

Conan The Destructive

The first uses a noun, the second, an adjective. They both work, but they're just not the same part of speech.

zoobyshoe said:
Consider:

Conan The Destroyer

or

Conan The Destructive

The first uses a noun, the second, an adjective. They both work, but they're just not the same part of speech.
I disagree. Both are nouns and adjectives at the same time. Because when I ask myself: What is Conan? I can reply: A destroyer. || A destructive person.

EDIT: I think.

EDIT2: The noun-adjective duality. :oldlaugh:

Psinter said:
I disagree. Both are nouns and adjectives at the same time. Because when I ask myself: What is Conan? I can reply: A destroyer. || A destructive person.

EDIT: I think.
In the first case you have two nouns: he is both 1.)Conan, and, 2.)the destroyer. In the second case, the two nouns are: 1.)Conan, and, 2.)a person. "Destructive" is an adjective modifying "person".

Your original thing, "Mentor The Impact" would be like "Conan The Destroyer," referring to someone by two nouns.

I agree with Zooby on the Destroyer/Destructive point, but you can use Impactor as a noun. I've heard the dinosaur killing asteroid described as an impactor. Not sure if that's what fresh meant.

Ibix said:
I agree with Zooby on the Destroyer/Destructive point,...
Everybody does.
... but you can use Impactor as a noun. I've heard the dinosaur killing asteroid described as an impactor. Not sure if that's what fresh meant.
Yes, as a passive Latin form. In German the word is usually used for objects in space crushing into another, e.g. the Japanese copper cube they shot on a comet. As it's so close to the English 'impact' I thought I could make this pun.

zoobyshoe said:
In the first case you have two nouns: he is both 1.)Conan, and, 2.)the destroyer. In the second case, the two nouns are: 1.)Conan, and, 2.)a person. "Destructive" is an adjective modifying "person".

Your original thing, "Mentor The Impact" would be like "Conan The Destroyer," referring to someone by two nouns.
I got to be honest, I don't get it. I still think its an adjective.

*1 minute later* The only way I can make sense of it is if I put: The Destroyer and The Destructive alone. Without the first noun (Conan). Only then I can say the first is a noun and the second an adjective. But reality is that they are not alone, and that's why I insist. :smile:
Ibix said:
but you can use Impactor as a noun.
No! I want The Impact! :H

I'm just kidding with you Ibix.

Ibix said:
I agree with Zooby on the Destroyer/Destructive point, but you can use Impactor as a noun. I've heard the dinosaur killing asteroid described as an impactor. Not sure if that's what fresh meant.
"The Impactor" would be much better than "The Impact," yes. I was pondering why the latter sounds so awkward when applied to a person and haven't sorted it out yet.

Psinter said:
The Destructive
... is an adjective made into and used as a noun.

Have you heard about this new method of American science?
Correction, the church is using it, too.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Psinter said:
I got to be honest, I don't get it. I still think its an adjective.

*1 minute later* The only way I can make sense of it is if I put: The Destroyer and The Destructive alone. Without the first noun (Conan). Only then I can say the first is a noun and the second an adjective. But reality is that they are not alone, and that's why I insist. :smile:
"Destroyer" is a noun simply by virtue of being the name of a person, place, or thing. It can be used as the subject of a sentence: "The destroyer went out and destroyed stuff today."

fresh_42 said:
... is an adjective made into and used as a noun.
Not really. The noun it modifies has just been dropped, but is still implied. You can do that in some contexts.

I give up. I still don't get it. But once again English is not my first language. Even then I stay with The Impact whatever grammatical context it has.

fresh_42 said:
Disappointing, but I guess this sort of thing is inevitable when a scientific finding has political implications.

Psinter said:
I give up. I still don't get it. But once again English is not my first language. Even then I stay with The Impact whatever grammatical context it has.
What is your first language?

zoobyshoe said:
Not really. The noun it modifies has just been dropped, but is still implied. You can do that in some contexts.
All right. That might be a difference. I have to think about it. When a noun is stripped and we only refer to the left adjective, e.g. the first, we write it with a cap making it into a noun just as in 'the Japanese'.

fresh_42 said:
Embarrassing, yes. :oops:

But fortunately the article is referring to a vote that happened over a year ago. Hopefully, the US Senate has learned a few things within the last year.

zoobyshoe said:
Disappointing, but I guess this sort of thing is inevitable when a scientific finding has political implications.
Probably. But it's not the fact that they disregarded science. Well, that isn't smart, but as you said to some extent inevitable. However, that they voted upon it makes me laugh.

zoobyshoe said:
What is your first language?
You promise you won't be racist if I tell you? :oops:

Psinter said:
You promise you won't be racist if I tell you? :oops:
The only reason I asked is because I have formally studied French, Spanish, German, and Russian. If one of those was your native language I could probably help you get what I'm talking about. If one of those isn't your native language, then I couldn't help by that means, so there's no point in your saying what it is if it makes you uncomfortable.

zoobyshoe said:
The only reason I asked is because I have formally studied French, Spanish, German, and Russian. If one of those was your native language I could probably help you get what I'm talking about. If one of those isn't your native language, then I couldn't help by that means, so there's no point in your saying what it is if it makes you uncomfortable.
I believe you. :smile: But others may be racist. :sorry: I better keep my location and identity hidden. Except from mentors and admins... my location is inherently available to them since I use the website. :eek: :biggrin:

Psinter said:
I believe you. :smile: But others may be racist. :sorry:
That's ok, but I truly hope you're wrong. Science and prejudices or ideologies don't fit very well.

Likes Psinter
:partytime: PF just added so many cool icons.:approve:
Except this big nose:smell: that looks more like a rocket or old spaceship.

Silicon Waffle said:
:partytime: PF just added so many cool icons.:approve:
Except this big nose:smell: that looks more like a rocket or old spaceship.
http://www.pinkraygun.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/pink-raygun-shuttle2.jpg

Likes Silicon Waffle
fresh_42 said:

:iseewhatyoudid:

Likes WWGD
fresh_42 said:

Maybe it's an issue with one's color vision or either the video or the image has been edited before, it couldn't be that pink.

Silicon Waffle said:
Maybe it's an issue with one's color vision or either the video or the image has been edited before, it couldn't be that pink.
I know. That's the brave new world: Google find's you something on any search regardless how stupid it is (has been my forth entry on image search).

fresh_42 said:
Probably. But it's not the fact that they disregarded science. Well, that isn't smart, but as you said to some extent inevitable. However, that they voted upon it makes me laugh.
They must please their donors from industry.

Can anyone look at the following; Waw wave mission on plannets eags lol n.a.s.a see eags stars lol

and make a guess as to what it means in Tunisian Arabic?
I'm pretty sure the blue words are English.

My best guess so far is; And in missions looking for planets, I recommend NASA look at the night stars.

OmCheeto said:
Can anyone look at the following; Waw wave mission on plannets eags lol n.a.s.a see eags stars lol

and make a guess as to what it means in Tunisian Arabic?
I'm pretty sure the blue words are English.

My best guess so far is; And in missions looking for planets, I recommend NASA look at the night stars.
No idea about Tunisian Arabic, but Om, I bought a car a week ago. As part of the process the sales guy showed me how to link my phone to the car. I have no idea why I might need this particular feature.

For some reason my car immediately decided to call you. I don't think the call went through -- I was laughing hysterically saying, "no my car shouldn't call Om!" and the sales guy was certain I was nuts and was probably wondering if the check would bounce -- but if you got a call from a Subaru...yeah that was me.

Makes up for the time your butt called me.

WWGD said:
They must please their donors from industry.
a.k.a , "What has the future ever done for me ?"