Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
  • #1,611
Ibix said:
Write documentation. Decently written description of what a program does is extremely rare.
I know, right. :biggrin: It is very rare.
zoobyshoe said:
In the clutter on my desk I just found a neatly cut equilateral triangle, made of thin cardboard, about an inch and a half on a side.
I checked on the clutter of my desk and found a dragon... A key-ring dragon. A working-knife, a gyroscope, transistors, glue, and whatnot. :biggrin:

EDIT: I found 1 dollar! :partytime: Yay, I'm not poor anymore!

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,612
gyroscopes.png

(image source: https://xkcd.com/332/)

Likes Psinter
  • #1,613
Sophia said:
Yessss beer!
Pilsen!?

• #1,614
zoobyshoe said:
In the clutter on my desk I just found a...

I just found even more clutter.

Likes zoobyshoe
  • #1,615
collinsmark said:
The point is not just Fridays, but Friday the 13ths. The calendar is deterministic. (You don't need to divide by 1000, assuming the Gregorian calendar.; any block of 400 years will do.)
Yes, I obviously did not think it thru well. Maybe if we had uniform months; 13 months, 28 days each, and an extra day , maybe to go wild or something, proportions would remain constant.

• #1,616
WWGD said:
Pilsen!?
Not bad, although I prefer other brands which are probably not known internationally. Non - pasteurised, unfiltered. The best beer I ever tasted was in one mini brewery in a certain monastery. Unfortunately, it is so small that they don't sell it in mainstream supermarkets :-/

• #1,617
Psinter said:
Thanks. Perhaps I should try to find a way to use it, although I don't think there is much to describe when programming.

Oh, I like brown ones. I bet the ones that are colorful at your place must be really beautiful and cute :blushing:.

Oh yes, pesticides are a murdercide for butterflies.

:frown: Me too, that's why in addition to the topic you are talking I also detest topics of politics and news, since they are covered with manure. I read about politics, but in an academic approach. Books and academic articles, not in the news.

Yup, pretty much describes what comes out of their mouth.

20 degrees pleasant? Okay, if I go to your place I must remember to bring my thick blanket and one with cute bunnies to sleep [emoji3]. Otherwise you will probably find me curled in a corner crying because I feel cold :sorry:. I will visit you with this cosplay: [emoji3]
2015-New-Halloween-Winter-Jacket-Adult-Men-s-Game-of-Thrones-Cosplay-Costume-Jon-Snow-Cosplay.jpg
You think I will look strange if I go to your place with these outfits?

Randmom fact: extreme idiotic politicians and corrupt civil engineers are the reason our roads are in horrible conditions. 3 million USD for a road and only 1 million is used. Can someone tell me what happened with the other 2 million? Nope, nobody knows anything.

Are you sure we don't live in the same place? :oldlaugh: What you tell me about your place sounds pretty much like the same place of mine. :nb)

Very hot? 96F (35.5C) inside a home. 94F (34.4C) inside a home is hot, but it is bearable. 96F outside in the open is bearable. And 110F outside during the day I consider very hot. When I have to walk at those temperatures (110F) you see me looking for shelter on the shadows trees make of the road. But in the city trees are scarce and it's a pain to find a spot with shadow. The sun literally burns you alive. And as years go by I feel the sun rays getting hotter. As if the Ozone layer is not longer protecting me from the sun rays. :confused: I told my friends: "Goddammit! What's wrong with the sun this year?! :oldmad: It's literally burning my skin. This didn't happened when we were kids. It's as if it is getting hotter as the years go by." and jokingly told them: "Dude, if you go outside now you will die roasted." :oldlaugh:

EDIT: I and other girls at uni use an umbrella when walking outside. This sun has been lately too overpowered to handle.
I believe that heat must be especially intense in a city with few trees! The concrete gets hot easily and doesn't cool down much at night. That is surely an evidence of global climate change. We will be forced to cope with it very soon...

Sure, such an outfit would be appropriate indeed :-) no need to bring your own blanket, I'll lend you mine so that you don't have to pay for the luggage :-) we've got plenty of them.
@Silicon Waffle will come too, and we will build a snowman that will look like Einstein. I know a place where they sell crazy wigs.
After that I'll make you my favourite tea from thyme, sage and mint. It smells lovely and is very good in cold weather.

Likes Psinter
  • #1,618
Sophia said:
@Silicon Waffle will come too, and we will build a snowman that will look like Einstein. I know a place where they sell crazy wigs.
:DD
Fact: I've never seen snow :sorry:. I want to see one day and play on it.
Sophia said:
After that I'll make you my favourite tea from thyme, sage and mint. It smells lovely and is very good in cold weather.
Oh I like tea. :biggrin:

EDIT:
Reminds me of The Hobbit (The Movie):
Dori: Excuse me, Mr. Gandalf.
Gandalf: Yes?
Dori: May I tempt you with a cup of chamomile?

Likes Sophia
  • #1,619
Do you want to see something REALLY scary? :smile:

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,620
DiracPool said:

Thank you. I'm not sleeping tonight. Why did I even had to see it.

Likes DiracPool
  • #1,621
Today was the first day after Leap Day.

Current temperature at the South Pole: -52 °F

Current temperature in Hell: no specific data, but not yet frozen over.

Agricultural news: no observable wings on any pigs.

From around the nation: Betty's Diner in the town of Pig, Ohio has started selling chicken wings wrapped in bacon under the name "Pig Wings." The town council voted 3 to 1 to erect a sign at the town limits saying "Pig Have Wings!" In retaliation the next door town of Base, Ohio has voted to erect a sign saying, "All your base are belong to us!" To the south of both, the town of Bacon, West Virginia erected a sign saying, "Bacon, West Virginia." And the temperature there is currently +52 °F.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,622
DiracPool said:

I watched this early today. It looks totally normal to me and I would find those getting scared it are really "abnormal" to me.

Likes Sophia
  • #1,623
Silicon Waffle said:
I watched this early today. It looks totally normal to me and I would find those getting scared it are really "abnormal" to me.

That's probably because you've been desensitized from watching all those Walking Dead episodes on Netflix. If you watched this in the theater in the 1980's when it first came out, it would have scared the S*&# out of you!

• #1,624
DiracPool said:
That's probably because you've been desensitized from watching all those Walking Dead episodes on Netflix. If you watched this in the theater in the 1980's when it first came out, it would have scared the S*&# out of you!
OK You and I didn't work in sync then :DD.

• #1,625
An observation:

When you like someone, it is as if when that person talks to you face to face, you are not listening. Then when the person finishes talking you are like: "This is so awkward. I didn't process anything." :olduhh:

I really hope I'm not the only one that this happens to. :olduhh:

EDIT: I heard some people call it daydreaming. :doh:

• #1,626
DiracPool said:

I find it more funny than scary :) If you didn't say it was a proper horror I would have thought it's a parody.

• #1,627
Psinter said:
When you like someone, it is as if when that person talks to you face to face, you are not listening.

That happens sometimes if I'm staring at her cleavage.

Psinter said:
Then when the person finishes talking you are like:

"I'm sorry, can you repeat that?" :oldsmile:

Likes Psinter
  • #1,629
Psinter said:
I had to google that. This is what I found: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleavage_(crystal)

I did not know you looked at peoples: "split along definite crystallographic structural planes"

Cleavage: " the hollow between a woman's breasts when supported, especially as exposed by a low-cut garment."

Those men! :rolleyes:

• #1,630
Sophia said:
Cleavage: " the hollow between a woman's breasts when supported, especially as exposed by a low-cut garment.
:eek: dirac, how dare you guide your eyes to such places. :confused: :-p
4c24218e6889513ce916e790c7770446.jpg

Likes Sophia
  • #1,631
Sophia said:
I find it more funny than scary :) If you didn't say it was a proper horror I would have thought it's a parody.

Well, the bit is obviously a little tongue in cheek, but when that first came out, people were jumping out of their seats. So it was scary. There weren't all these special effects in every movie back then that we have these days. Back then we had Kramer vs. Kramer and Three days of the Condor. No special effects there, cupcake.

Now, if you want a parody, here's a great one. Referring to the "visualizing PF members" thread, if you want a characterization of me, it's either of these two guys. In fact, I'm surprised I'm not sitting in the back seat of this smart car during the skit poking my head up front :oldtongue:

Likes Silicon Waffle and Sophia
  • #1,632
DiracPool said:
Well, the bit is obviously a little tongue in cheek, but when that first came out, people were jumping out of their seats. So it was scary. There weren't all these special effects in every movie back then that we have these days. Back then we had Kramer vs. Kramer and Three days of the Condor. No special effects there, cupcake.
I was with my headphones when I watched the previous video and I jumped out of my chair. :nb) :biggrin:

Likes Silicon Waffle and DiracPool
  • #1,633
zoobyshoe said:
Today was the first day after Leap Day.

Current temperature at the South Pole: -52 °F

Current temperature in Hell: no specific data, but not yet frozen over.

Agricultural news: no observable wings on any pigs.

From around the nation: Betty's Diner in the town of Pig, Ohio has started selling chicken wings wrapped in bacon under the name "Pig Wings." The town council voted 3 to 1 to erect a sign at the town limits saying "Pig Have Wings!" In retaliation the next door town of Base, Ohio has voted to erect a sign saying, "All your base are belong to us!" To the south of both, the town of Bacon, West Virginia erected a sign saying, "Bacon, West Virginia." And the temperature there is currently +52 °F.
Generalissimo Francisco Franco still dead.

• #1,634
Ibix said:
Generalissimo Francisco Franco still dead.
A fact we know due to the meritorious efforts of the Generalissimo Francisco Franco Death Monitor Task Force. Our hats are off to them for their continued vigilance in this matter.

Likes Ibix
  • #1,635
Here is how to reduce character count on SMS messages:

HereishowtoreducecharactercountonSMSmessages.Eliminatespacesbetweenwords.

• #1,636
It looks like Jeremy Wade has run out of river monsters to pursue. He's headed to the ocean. However, instead of changing the show's name to Ocean Monsters, which they should, they've arrived at the confused: River Monsters, Mysteries of the Ocean.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,637
zoobyshoe said:
chicken wings wrapped in bacon

Religions have been started over less.

BoB

• #1,638
Likes Psinter and Sophia
  • #1,639
As long as chocolate cheesecake gets a chapter I'm in!

BoB

• #1,640
rbelli1 said:

BoB
Hallellujah!

Likes rbelli1
  • #1,641
Please remind me to use those two lemons before they go bad.

• #1,642
I suggest cleaning your spigots. Proper plumbing hygiene is very important.

BoB

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,643
You see, they had a choice of, "Pigs Have Wings!," or "Pig Has Wings!" Pig, the Ohio town, is singular, so it didn't make sense to use the former, but the latter sounds like a mispoken version of the former, despite agreement of singular noun and verb. So, like any bureaucracy, they compromised on something that made no sense at all: "Pig Have Wings!," because bureaucracies value compromise over sense.

Anyway, the other day, Jesse Bilacker was eating at Betty's and he said to Lee Ann Brickman, the waitress, "How 'bout that Trump? You think he'll win?" And Lee Ann said, "Right. When pigs have wings." And Jesse went silent and fell into deep thought, because, under the circumstances, it wasn't clear what she meant.

• #1,644
rbelli1 said:

BoB
WWGD said:
Hallellujah!
Whereverie there is chocolaterie I shall make my precense reverbeterie. :-p
zoobyshoe said:
Please remind me to use those two lemons before they go bad.
Reminder: Use the lemons... with chocolate... Please... Don't forget the chocolate... :biggrin:

• #1,645
It Is funny when you're 28 and a man who is 50+ calls you "auntie"
Time for my first face-lift!