Reason for the obvious movement of a block

In summary, the block will move in the leftward direction because the weight of the block pulls it in that direction.
mooncrater
aPY7RYdC9g0JNeBFW8AQ1E9S.jpg
1. Homework Statement

Consider the given system. It is obvious that the weight of the block will lead the system to move in the leftward direction. But the reason for that is not clear to me.

Homework Equations

Using the FBD of the block(B):
##mg-T=ma## where ##a## is assumed its downward acceleration.
##N=mA## where ##A## is the rightward acceleration as the normal force from the bigger block A is in the right ward direction. (Which is the problem)
##T+N=M\alpha## where I assume that ##\alpha## is the acceleration of block A in the leftward direction (as both T and N are in the left direction for A)

The Attempt at a Solution

So there is nothing pulling B towards left so why will go in the left direction ¿

Physics news on Phys.org
What happens if the pulley and block A move to the left and B doesn't?

Edit: Seems to me you are over thinking the problem. It would probably be reasonable to assume that the mass of A >>B so that the acceleration to the left is small and the string remains vertical.

CWatters said:
What happens if the pulley and block A move to the left and B doesn't?

Edit: Seems to me you are over
thinking the problem. It would probably be reasonable to assume that the mass of A >>B so that the acceleration to the left is small and the string remains vertical.
No... we can't assume that since in the question (from where I have asked this part) it's given that mass of A =40kg and mass of B is 20kg.

What if block B were to lose contact with block A. What could then possibly make block B accelerate to the left?

Chet

Likes mooncrater
Chestermiller said:
What if block B were to lose contact with block A. What could then possibly make block B accelerate to the left?

Chet
Hmmm...
If we assume that A loses contact with B and goes towards left a small distance ##x##, then the thread will form a small angle ##\theta## with the vertical because of which tension will have a leftward component along with the vertical one for B. Due to which "I think" the block B will move left. Is that what you want to say?

mooncrater said:
Hmmm...
If we assume that A loses contact with B and goes towards left a small distance ##x##, then the thread will form a small angle ##\theta## with the vertical because of which tension will have a leftward component along with the vertical one for B. Due to which "I think" the block B will move left. Is that what you want to say?
Yes. That's what I wanted you to say.

Chet

Likes mooncrater
Me too.

Likes mooncrater
Assuming there is no friction between block A and the surface it rest on, it will move.

Isn't the net force on the pulley pushing left even without contact?

nasu said:
Isn't the net force on the pulley pushing left even without contact?
Yes. Then what?

Isn't this what you asked?

"So there is nothing pulling B towards left so why will go in the left direction ¿"

nasu said:
Isn't this what you asked?

"So there is nothing pulling B towards left so why will go in the left direction ¿"
Oh... sorry. My bad.. but my doubt was already cleared. Thanks for a further push to my clarity for that obvious movement.

FAQ: Reason for the obvious movement of a block

1. What is the reason for the obvious movement of a block?

The reason for the movement of a block is due to the laws of physics, specifically the force of gravity. Objects with mass are attracted to each other and when placed on an inclined surface, the force of gravity will cause the block to move downwards.

2. How does the angle of the inclined surface affect the movement of the block?

The angle of the inclined surface plays a significant role in the movement of the block. The steeper the angle, the greater the force of gravity pulling the block downwards, causing it to move faster. On the other hand, a smaller angle will result in a slower movement of the block.

3. Can other factors besides gravity affect the movement of the block?

Yes, other factors such as friction and air resistance can also affect the movement of a block. Friction between the block and the inclined surface will slow down the block's movement, while air resistance can also act against the block's motion.

4. Why does a block stop moving after reaching a certain distance on an inclined surface?

The block stops moving because the force of gravity is balanced by the force of friction acting against it. At a certain point, the friction force becomes greater than the force of gravity, causing the block to come to a stop.

5. Can the weight of the block impact its movement on an inclined surface?

Yes, the weight of the block can impact its movement on an inclined surface. The greater the weight of the block, the greater the force of gravity acting on it, resulting in a faster movement. However, the weight of the block does not affect the angle of the inclined surface needed for it to start moving.

Back