Recognize these inrush current limiting devices?

phyzguy
Science Advisor
TL;DR Summary
Help me recognize these inrush current limiting devices
I have a circuit board, and one of these inrush current limiting devices (yellow arrows) has failed. Does anyone recognize them? Failing that, does anyone recognize the logo that looks like a letter V and an upside down V superimposed? I have searched in several places, but have been unable to identify them.
CSAT3B_board.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
phyzguy said:
TL;DR Summary: Help me recognize these inrush current limiting devices

I have searched in several places, but have been unable to identify them
Perhaps clamping diode ie a TVS ( transient voltage suppression ) .
the 103 could mean 1000 watts but that's a guess.

• Informative
Likes cnh1995, phyzguy, Borek and 2 others

Related to Recognize these inrush current limiting devices?

What is an inrush current limiting device?

An inrush current limiting device is a component used to prevent the high initial surge of current that occurs when electrical equipment is first turned on. This surge can potentially damage components or trip circuit breakers, so the device helps manage and reduce this initial surge to protect the system.

How does an NTC thermistor work as an inrush current limiter?

An NTC (Negative Temperature Coefficient) thermistor works by initially presenting a high resistance when cold, which limits the inrush current. As current flows through the thermistor, it heats up and its resistance decreases, allowing normal operating current to pass through with minimal resistance.

What are the advantages of using an inrush current limiter?

Using an inrush current limiter offers several advantages, including protecting sensitive components from damage due to high inrush currents, preventing circuit breakers from tripping, reducing mechanical stress on electrical contacts, and extending the lifespan of the equipment.

What types of inrush current limiting devices are available?

There are several types of inrush current limiting devices, including NTC thermistors, PTC (Positive Temperature Coefficient) thermistors, fixed resistors, and electronic inrush current limiters. Each type has its own specific applications and benefits, depending on the requirements of the electrical system.

How do you select the right inrush current limiting device for your application?

To select the right inrush current limiting device, you need to consider factors such as the maximum inrush current, the normal operating current, the operating voltage, the thermal characteristics, and the physical size constraints of the device. Consulting datasheets and manufacturer guidelines can help in making an informed decision based on these parameters.