Reduce the following Boolean equation.

• MHB
  • Thread starter shamieh
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the simplification of a Boolean equation and the use of distributivity in Boolean algebra to reduce the equation. The expert provides a detailed explanation of how distributivity works and how it can be applied to simplify the equation. The final simplified formula is also provided.
shamieh
Is this correct?

The following Boolean equation can be reduced any farther than it already is? Write out the simplified formula.

\(\displaystyle $f$(w,x,y,z) = (x + z) * (x + \bar{z}) * (x + \bar{y})\)

My answer: \(\displaystyle (x)(\bar{y})\) ?

Technology news on Phys.org
shamieh said:
\(\displaystyle $f$(w,x,y,z) = (x + z) * (x + \bar{z}) * (x + \bar{y})\)

My answer: \(\displaystyle (x)(\bar{y})\) ?
No, the first expression is true when x = y = z = 1, but the second expression is false.

We have\[\begin{align*}(x + z)(x + \bar{z})(x + \bar{y}) &= (x+z\bar{z})(x+\bar{y})&& \text{by distributivity of disjunction over conjunction}\\ &=x(x+\bar{y})&& \text{since }z\bar{z}=0\\ &=x+x\bar{y}&& \text{by distributivity of conjunction over disjunction}\\ &=x(1+\bar{y})&&\text{since } x=x\cdot1\\ &=x\cdot1&&\text{since }1+\bar{y}=1\\ &=x\end{align*}\]

When you say

\(\displaystyle (x + z)(x + \bar{z})(x + \bar{y}) = (x + z\bar{z})(x + \bar{y}) \)
<-- How are you getting this result? I am confused.

Are you saying: \(\displaystyle (xx + x\bar{z} + xz + z\bar{z})\) <-- This is just FOILing the first two. What about the one in the last parenthesis? Can you please show details because I am very confused.

Or are you saying

\(\displaystyle xx + xz! + xx + xy! + xz + zz! + xz + zy!\) ?

$(x+z)(x+\bar{z})=(x+z\bar{z})$ is distributivity of disjunction over conjunction, which I described in a https://driven2services.com/staging/mh/index.php?posts/30680/.

oh wait I see.

(x + z)(x + z!)(x + y!)

so:

(xx + zz!)(x + y!) = x(x + y!) = then Factor x(1 + y!) and 1 +y! = 1 thus x*1=x. Wow I had to stare at it for a couple minutes. Thanks for the Help, sorry for the hassle lol.

shamieh said:
(x + z)(x + z!)(x + y!)

so:

(xx + zz!)(x + y!)
You are writing (x + z)(x + z!) = (xx + zz!) as if you multiplied the first terms (i.e., x and x) and then the second terms (i.e., z and z!) in the two sets of parentheses. There is no law that allows you to do this. Please take a minute to read my description of distributivity of disjunction over conjunction in the other thread and be sure you understand why it is called distributivity and how the two types of distributivity in Boolean algebra are similar.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
You are writing (x + z)(x + z!) = (xx + zz!) as if you multiplied the first terms (i.e., x and x) and then the second terms (i.e., z and z!) in the two sets of parentheses. There is no law that allows you to do this. Please take a minute to read my description of distributivity of disjunction over conjunction in the other thread and be sure you understand why it is called distributivity and how the two types of distributivity in Boolean algebra are similar.

You aren't multiplying x and x together but you ARE multiplying z and \(\displaystyle \bar{z}\) to get \(\displaystyle z\bar{z} = 0 \) correct? If that is was you are doing then I made a mistake and understand how to do it now, if something else is going on then I will need to re-read the definition.

- - - Updated - - -

like for example if i had \(\displaystyle (a + b)(a + \bar{b})(a + c) \)

i would get by, disjunc over conjunc.

\(\displaystyle (a + b\bar{b})(a + c) = a(a + c) = a(1 + c) = a (1+c = 1) = a(1) = a\)

shamieh said:
You aren't multiplying x and x together but you ARE multiplying z and \(\displaystyle \bar{z}\) to get \(\displaystyle z\bar{z} = 0 \) correct?
Yes.

In general, distributivity of some operator % over some other operator # says the following:

x % (y # z) = (x % y) # (x % z).

If % is disjunction (+) and # is multiplication (*), then this amounts to

x + (y * z) = (x + y) * (x + z),

or

x + yz = (x + y)(x + z).

In the right-hand side, one term in both sets of parentheses is the same: x. The other two terms (y and z) are multiplied and the result is added to x to produce the left-hand side.

Great Explanation! Thanks!

Related to Reduce the following Boolean equation.

1. What is a Boolean equation?

A Boolean equation is a mathematical statement that uses Boolean logic to represent relationships between variables. It is typically composed of variables, operators, and constants, and can have a true or false value.

2. How do you reduce a Boolean equation?

To reduce a Boolean equation, you can use a variety of techniques such as Boolean algebra, Karnaugh maps, or truth tables. These methods involve simplifying the equation by manipulating the variables and operators to obtain the most compact and efficient representation.

3. Why is reducing a Boolean equation important?

Reducing a Boolean equation is important because it helps to optimize logic circuits and minimize the number of gates and operations needed. This can result in faster and more efficient electronic devices, as well as reducing the cost and complexity of designing and building these devices.

4. What are some common operators used in Boolean equations?

Some common operators used in Boolean equations include AND, OR, NOT, and XOR. These operators can be represented using symbols such as &, |, ~, and ^. They are used to manipulate the logical relationships between variables in a Boolean equation.

5. How is Boolean algebra used to reduce Boolean equations?

Boolean algebra is a system of mathematical operations and rules that can be used to simplify Boolean equations. These operations include commutativity, associativity, and distributivity, and they can help to reduce complex Boolean equations into simpler and more manageable forms.