Regarding Simulations and Sample Size

Agent Smith
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
TL;DR Summary: Sims and sample size

A statistics question I have in my notes goes like this:

Our significance level ##\alpha = 0.01##
The percentage of left-handed people in the general population is ##10\%##. Liliana is curious if this is true for her arts class and so she takes a random sample of ##8## [please note this number] students from her arts class and finds that ##1## is left-handed. That is the proportion of lefties in her class is ##0.125##.

The null hypothesis: ##H_0## is that the proportion of lefties in Liliana's class = ##10\%##
The alternative hypothesis: ##H_a## is that the proportion of lefties in Liliana's class ##> 10\%##

She then conducts a 100 simulations, each time taking a sample size of ##8## [please note this number] from a virtual population in which ##10\%## are lefties. It turns out that in ##2## of her simulations the proportion of lefties is ##\geq 0.125##. This means, I'm told, that the probability of getting a proportion of lefties ##\geq 0.125## is ##\frac{2}{100} = 0.02##.

Then, the back-of-the-book answer says, since the ##\text{P-value} = 0.02## and ##\alpha = 0.01## and ##0.02 > 0.01##, we can't reject ##H_0##.

I hope all the above is correct.

My question concerns the sample size ##8## (the number I asked be noted). This sample size is too small for the number of successes and the number of failures to be ##\geq 10## i.e. one condition for inference from the sample is unmet and yet we have made an inference. Am I supposed to conclude that with simulations like the one described above we need not bother about sample size? So for this particular question, if my sample size is ##6##, I need only ensure that the simulation consists of samples of size ##6## and I'll still be able to make legitimate inferences from the sim???

N.B. Also if we reset ##\alpha = 0.05##, since ##0.02 < 0.05##, we can reject ##H_0## and conclude that Liliana's arts class has an "unusually high number" of lefties, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Agent Smith said:
we have made an inference.
No, We have just made an assumption and have not conducted enough testing to reject the assumption at that level of confidence.
Agent Smith said:
Am I supposed to conclude that with simulations like the one described above we need not bother about sample size? So for this particular question, if my sample size is ##6##, I need only ensure that the simulation consists of samples of size ##6## and I'll still be able to make legitimate inferences from the sim???
You can make assumptions with no data at all, but proving that assumption should be rejected at some confidence level requires enough sample data with contrary results.
Agent Smith said:
N.B. Also if we reset ##\alpha = 0.05##, since ##0.02 < 0.05##, we can reject ##H_0## and conclude that Liliana's arts class has an "unusually high number" of lefties, right?
With much less confidence. The chance of a Type I error is increased at the 0.05 level.

Last edited:
Agent Smith said:
It turns out that in 2 of her simulations the proportion of lefties is ≥0.125.
That is interesting. I just did this same thing, and I got 58 out of 100 with a proportion of at least 0.125. That seems to indicate a coding error in the simulation.

Agent Smith said:
This sample size is too small for the number of successes and the number of failures to be ≥10
This may be a good recommendation for simulations as well. If they had only two successes with 100 simulations they probably should have tried 1000 or 10000 instead.

Agent Smith said:
i.e. one condition for inference from the sample is unmet and yet we have made an inference
Yes, you have made an unreliable inference. That is exactly what those rules are intended to prevent.

Last edited:
Back