Related Rates: Calculating the Pressure Change in a Gas Container

In summary, a container of constant volume contains a quantity of gas under pressure. At t=0, the pressure is 4 psi and the temperature is 15°C per minute. The rate of change of the pressure inside the container at time t=0 cannot be determined without knowing the value of the constant in the equation. The wording of the temperature value in the problem is odd and it is best to seek clarification from the instructor.
pry_or

Homework Statement

A container of constant volume contains a quantity of gas under pressure. At t=0, the pressure is 4 psi and the temperature is 15°C per minute. What is the rate of change of the pressure inside the container at time t=0?

Homework Equations

[itex]\frac{P}{T}[/itex] = constant

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking the derivative of both sides and then simplifying, I ended up with:

T[itex]\frac{dP}{dT}[/itex] - P[itex]\frac{dT}{dT}[/itex] = 0

So solving for dP/dt:

[itex]\frac{dP}{dt}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{P}{T}[/itex][itex]\frac{dT}{dt}[/itex]

This is where I get stuck. I know P = 4 psi and dT/dt = 15°C per minute, but I can't figure out how to determine T. Without knowing the actual value of the constant in the original formula, I don't see how it is possible. The wording of the temperature value in the problem sounds odd to me. The only thing I can think of is that the temperature should be assumed to be 0°C at t=0 and so dP/dt does not exist. Is this it, or am I missing some way to find T?

Physics news on Phys.org
pry_or said:

Homework Statement

A container of constant volume contains a quantity of gas under pressure. At t=0, the pressure is 4 psi and the temperature is 15°C per minute.
15°C per minute is not a temperature. It's the time rate of change of temperature. What is the exact wording of this problem?
pry_or said:
What is the rate of change of the pressure inside the container at time t=0?

Homework Equations

[itex]\frac{P}{T}[/itex] = constant

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking the derivative of both sides and then simplifying, I ended up with:

T[itex]\frac{dP}{dT}[/itex] - P[itex]\frac{dT}{dT}[/itex] = 0

So solving for dP/dt:

[itex]\frac{dP}{dt}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{P}{T}[/itex][itex]\frac{dT}{dt}[/itex]

This is where I get stuck. I know P = 4 psi and dT/dt = 15°C per minute, but I can't figure out how to determine T. Without knowing the actual value of the constant in the original formula, I don't see how it is possible. The wording of the temperature value in the problem sounds odd to me. The only thing I can think of is that the temperature should be assumed to be 0°C at t=0 and so dP/dt does not exist. Is this it, or am I missing some way to find T?

That is the exact wording of the problem. That's why I said the wording was odd.

Whoever wrote the problem made a mistake. I would get some clarification from the instructor as to what the real problem is.

That's what I expected, thank you!

Related to Related Rates: Calculating the Pressure Change in a Gas Container

1. What is a "Calc AB Related Rates Problem"?

A "Calc AB Related Rates Problem" is a type of calculus problem that involves finding the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable, usually with the use of derivatives. These types of problems often involve real-world scenarios and require the application of calculus concepts to solve.

2. How do you approach a "Calc AB Related Rates Problem"?

To solve a "Calc AB Related Rates Problem", first identify the variables involved and the given information. Then, use the given information to create an equation relating the variables. Next, take the derivative of the equation with respect to time. Substitute in the given values and solve for the unknown rate of change.

3. What are some common real-world applications of "Calc AB Related Rates Problems"?

"Calc AB Related Rates Problems" can be applied to a variety of real-world situations, such as finding the rate at which a balloon is inflating, the rate at which water is flowing out of a tank, or the rate at which the shadow of a building is changing. These types of problems can also be used to solve optimization problems, such as finding the minimum or maximum value of a certain quantity.

4. What are some tips for solving "Calc AB Related Rates Problems"?

It is important to carefully read and understand the given information and draw a diagram if necessary. Always label the variables and clearly define what they represent. Additionally, remember to use the appropriate units when solving the problem and double-check your solution to ensure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving "Calc AB Related Rates Problems"?

One common mistake to avoid is mixing up the variables and their rates of change. It is also important to use the correct derivative rules and pay attention to the units of measurement. Lastly, be mindful of the given information and ensure that it is being used correctly in the solution process.