Related Rates of Change Per Unit Time

In summary, related rates of change per unit time is a measurement of the rate at which one variable changes in relation to another variable over a period of time. This is calculated using the chain rule of differentiation and has various applications in science and engineering. However, it may have limitations in real-life situations and can be used to solve problems by setting up and solving equations.
tmlrlz

Homework Statement

In the special theory of relativity the mass of a particle moving at speed v is given by the expression
m/(1-(v2/c2))
where m is the mass at rest and c is the speed of light. At what rate is the mass of the particle changing when the speed of the particle is (1/2)c and is increasing at the rate of 0.01c per second?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For this problem i tried using related rates. The question is asking for dm/dt when v = (1/2)c and they give dv/dt = 0.01c
dm/dt = (dm/dv)*(dv/dt)
Suppose that y = m/√(1-(v2/c2)) i took the derivative of y
the one assumption i made which is what I'm confused about is that the derivative of y = 0
[(dm/dv)*(√(1-(v2/c2))) - 1/2*((1-(v2/c2))-1/2*(-2v/c2)*(m)]/(1-(v2/c2) = 0

dm/dv(√(1-(v2/c2))) = -m(1-(v2/c2))-1/2(v/c2)

dm/dv = [-m(v/c2)]/(1-(v2/c2))

dm/dt = [-m(v/c2)]/(1-(v2/c2)) * (0.01c)
= -0.01mv/(c-v2/c)
At v = 1/2c
dm/dt = -mc/200 * 4/3c
= -m/150

I would just like to know if my approach is correct and specifically, if i was correct in assuming that the derivative of y = 0. Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org

Your approach is mostly correct, but there are a few errors in your calculations. Let's go through them step by step.

First, your assumption that the derivative of y is 0 is not correct. In fact, the derivative of y with respect to v is not 0, but rather -m/(1-(v^2/c^2))^(3/2). This can be found by using the quotient rule to take the derivative of y.

Next, in your calculation of dm/dv, you forgot to include the factor of 1/2 in front of the v/c^2 term. The correct expression should be dm/dv = [-m(v/c^2)]/(1-(v^2/c^2))^(3/2).

Finally, when you substitute in v = 1/2c, your final expression for dm/dt should be -m/600, not -m/150. This is because you are substituting in v = 1/2c, not v = 1/2.

So, to summarize, your approach is correct but there are a few mistakes in your calculations. The correct expression for dm/dt is -m/600. I hope this helps clarify things for you. Keep up the good work!

Related to Related Rates of Change Per Unit Time

1. What is meant by "related rates of change per unit time" in science?

Related rates of change per unit time refers to the measurement of how quickly one variable changes in relation to another variable, with respect to time. It is commonly used in the field of physics and engineering to analyze the rate of change of various physical quantities.

2. How do you calculate related rates of change per unit time?

The calculation of related rates of change per unit time involves using the chain rule of differentiation to find the rate of change of a dependent variable with respect to an independent variable. This is done by taking the derivative of both sides of an equation and then solving for the desired rate of change.

3. What are some real-life applications of related rates of change per unit time?

Related rates of change per unit time can be used to study various natural phenomena, such as the rate of change of temperature over time, the speed of an object in motion, or the growth rate of a population. It is also applied in engineering to optimize processes and design systems that involve changing variables.

4. What are the limitations of using related rates of change per unit time?

One limitation of using related rates of change per unit time is that it assumes a constant rate of change, which may not always be the case in real-life situations. Additionally, it may be difficult to accurately measure and calculate the rates of change of certain variables, leading to potential errors in the results.

5. How can related rates of change per unit time be used to solve problems?

Related rates of change per unit time can be used to solve problems by setting up and solving equations that represent the relationship between the variables involved. This allows for the prediction and analysis of how one variable will change in response to changes in another variable, which can be useful in making informed decisions and designing experiments or systems.

Back