Relative Speed of Two Inertial Frames | Proving It Must Be Same

In summary, the conversation discusses the argument that the relative speed of two inertial frames must be the same, as measured in each frame. It is argued that if the two frames measured different relative speeds, it would violate the equivalence of inertial frames. To further support this argument, it is proposed that if two observers agree on physical units and use identical measuring equipment, their results should be identical, according to their local laws of physics.
A.Abbadi
I'm wondering .. if there is an argument could prove that the relative speed of two inertial frames must be the same .

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess you mean as measured in each frame?

If the two frames measured different relative speeds, then which one would measure the higher speed?

A.Abbadi said:
I'm wondering .. if there is an argument could prove that the relative speed of two inertial frames must be the same .
It would violate the equivalence of inertial frames, if their relative speed weren’t symmetrical.

To convince myself of the complete validity of the symmetry argument, I expanded it as follow:

Let A and B start by agreeing, through communication over EM waves, to build identical measuring equipments - i.e. they agree on physical units, then how to build an atomic clock, a Doppler radar, and sighting equipment for angular speeds. Each observer's equipment, as well as the results of their measurements (velocity and distance of the other observer) are unambiguously defined in terms of their local laws of physics.

Now assuming the local laws of physics are the same for both, it follows that they mut get identical results: the distance of B from A, and the speed of B's movement relative to A, are the same as those of A relative to B.

Not saying anything more than previous posters of course, just being pedantic I guess.

Last edited:
Likes PeroK

Related to Relative Speed of Two Inertial Frames | Proving It Must Be Same

1. What is the concept of relative speed of two inertial frames?

The relative speed of two inertial frames refers to the measured velocity of one frame with respect to the other frame, taking into account their respective positions and velocities. In other words, it is the speed at which one frame appears to be moving from the perspective of the other frame.

2. How is the relative speed of two inertial frames calculated?

The relative speed of two inertial frames can be calculated using the Galilean transformation equations, which take into account the positions and velocities of the two frames. These equations allow for the conversion of measurements between the two frames.

3. Why is it important to prove that the relative speed of two inertial frames must be the same?

This proof is important because it is a fundamental principle of physics, known as the principle of relativity. It states that the laws of physics should remain the same in all inertial frames, regardless of their relative motion. The proof of the same relative speed between two frames supports this principle.

4. Can the relative speed of two inertial frames ever be different?

No, the relative speed of two inertial frames must always be the same. This is because any differences in the measurements of speed between the two frames would violate the principle of relativity and lead to contradictions in the laws of physics.

5. How does the concept of relative speed of two inertial frames relate to the theory of special relativity?

The concept of relative speed of two inertial frames is a key component of the theory of special relativity. It helps to explain the effects of time dilation and length contraction, and shows that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames. The constancy of the relative speed between two frames is also a crucial factor in the famous equation E=mc^2.