Resistance in an octahedron between adjacent vertices

• Thread starter Tazi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary, the conversation discussed finding the resistance in an octahedron between opposite and adjacent vertices. The solution for the resistance between opposite vertices was found using symmetry and equipotential points. However, the resistance between adjacent vertices proved to be more challenging. Suggestions were given to use Kirchoff's laws or to break it down into a combination of parallel and serial links. It was also suggested to use symmetry to simplify the problem.
Tazi

Homework Statement

Twelve identical wires, each with resistance R = 1.0 ohms, are linked together to form a
octahedron. Find the resistance in an octahedron between opposite vertices and adjacent vertices( A,B for example)

picture

2. The attempt at a solution

I already found the resistance between opposite vertices (R/2) using symmetry and equipotential points but can't find any way to calculate the resistance between adjacent vertices. Do u have any tips for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Tazi. Welcome to Physics Forums.

One tip: Do not use text-speak on these forums ("u" rather than "you") . It's against the rules.

What have you tried so far? Show us your best effort.

My attempt (resistance between points A and B): potential in point E equals to potential in point F but I'm not sure what to do about points D and C. How to find potential in those points? I tried to use Kirchoff laws but didnt find anything.

Tazi said:
My attempt (resistance between points A and B): potential in point E equals to potential in point F but I'm not sure what to do about points D and C. How to find potential in those points? I tried to use Kirchoff laws but didnt find anything.
You can certainly get there using Kirchoff. Please show some attempt that way.
You can also go the more usual route of breaking it down into a nested combination of parallel and serial links. The first step, breaking it into two parallel paths, is obvious. After that it gets a bit tougher, but I think I see a way to use symmetry to simplify it.

Related to Resistance in an octahedron between adjacent vertices

1. What is an octahedron?

An octahedron is a three-dimensional shape with eight triangular faces, twelve edges, and six vertices. It is a type of polyhedron and a regular solid.

2. How does resistance occur in an octahedron between adjacent vertices?

Resistance in an octahedron between adjacent vertices refers to the opposition that an electric current encounters as it flows from one vertex to the next. This resistance is caused by the material properties and geometry of the octahedron.

3. What factors affect resistance in an octahedron?

The main factors that affect resistance in an octahedron are the material properties, such as conductivity and resistivity, and the distance between adjacent vertices. Other factors include temperature, cross-sectional area, and the presence of impurities or imperfections in the material.

4. How is resistance calculated in an octahedron?

The resistance in an octahedron can be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that resistance is equal to the voltage divided by the current. In an octahedron, the voltage is the potential difference between adjacent vertices, and the current is the flow of electrons between them. The resistance is measured in ohms (Ω).

5. Can resistance in an octahedron be reduced?

Yes, resistance in an octahedron can be reduced by using materials with higher conductivity, increasing the distance between adjacent vertices, and minimizing impurities or imperfections in the material. Additionally, reducing the temperature can also decrease resistance in an octahedron.