Resistance in an octahedron between two points.

In summary, the problem involves finding the resistance between corners E and F in an octahedron formed by twelve identical wires with 1.0 ohm resistance each. The equations used are Ohm's Law and parallel connection of resistors. By creating a 2-dimensional wiring diagram and considering symmetry, the problem becomes simpler.
zeralda21

Homework Statement

Twelve identical wires, each with resistance 1.0 ohms, are linked together to form a
octahedron (see figure). What is the resistance between corners E and F?

http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/65700/65732/65732_octahedron_md.gif

Homework Equations

I assume:

Ohms Law: U=R*I

Parallel connection of resistors: 1/R_total=1/R_1+1/R_2...+1/R_n

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all I wanted to create a 2-dimensional wiring diagram to simplify the problem. From there I concluded that this was a parallel connection of resistors. One question I asked myself is if the current is equally large between all wires, so I am trying to find out in the book. Maybe that could be of any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
zeralda21 said:

Homework Statement

Twelve identical wires, each with resistance 1.0 ohms, are linked together to form a
octahedron (see figure). What is the resistance between corners E and F?

http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/65700/65732/65732_octahedron_md.gif

Homework Equations

I assume:

Ohms Law: U=R*I

Parallel connection of resistors: 1/R_total=1/R_1+1/R_2...+1/R_n

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all I wanted to create a 2-dimensional wiring diagram to simplify the problem. From there I concluded that this was a parallel connection of resistors. One question I asked myself is if the current is equally large between all wires, so I am trying to find out in the book. Maybe that could be of any help.
This is the sort of problem where symmetry will help, and in fact makes the problem rather simple. Suppose you put a 1V source across E-F. What potentials do you expect to find at the points A,B,C, and D?

Related to Resistance in an octahedron between two points.

1. What is an octahedron?

An octahedron is a three-dimensional geometric shape with eight faces, each of which is an equilateral triangle.

2. How does resistance occur in an octahedron?

Resistance occurs in an octahedron when an electrical current flows through it, causing the flow of electrons to encounter obstacles and slow down, resulting in the opposition of current flow.

3. What factors affect the resistance in an octahedron?

The resistance in an octahedron is affected by the length, cross-sectional area, and material of the conductor, as well as the temperature and type of current flow (AC or DC).

4. How is the resistance in an octahedron calculated?

The resistance in an octahedron can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance is equal to the voltage divided by the current (R = V/I). It can also be calculated using the formula R = ρl/A, where ρ is the resistivity of the material, l is the length of the conductor, and A is the cross-sectional area.

5. How can the resistance in an octahedron be reduced?

The resistance in an octahedron can be reduced by using a material with a lower resistivity, increasing the cross-sectional area of the conductor, and decreasing the length of the conductor. It can also be reduced by keeping the temperature of the conductor low and using a DC current instead of an AC current.