Returning college student with a math dilemma.

In summary, the person is considering returning to school and is worried about whether or not they are smart enough to succeed. They are considering taking a pre-calculus sequence instead of starting straight into calculus and are looking for advice.
kurfew
Hello all!

Before I ask my question let me give a little background about myself. I’m 32 years old and am a returning student. I originally went to college straight out of high school as a pre-med major. I was pushed into pre-med by my parents. I had no desire to be a doctor, and I hated school because of my decision. In an act of rebellion, which I’ve come to regret, I dropped out after two semesters.

I’ve wanted to return to school for a long time but never did. The longer I was out of school the more afraid I became to go back to school. A fear of not being able to succeed, of not being smart enough to make it anymore. I recently got over that fear and was accepted at my local university. My intention is to major in a STEM field. I’m leaning toward an engineering discipline, but that may change. Mechanical engineering was what I wanted to go to school for as a young man. Regardless, at my school I need to take through Calculus III and Linear Algebra no matter which STEM major I choose.

As it’s been over thirteen years since I was last in school I had to take a placement exam to determine what courses I would be eligible for. As I expected I needed no remedial classes in any area. To the surprise of my advisor, and myself, I tested into Calculus I for math.

Math was never my strongest area, but it was far from my worst, and in high school I took Calculus I my senior year. I even remember some of what I learned in calculus, such as limits and differentiation. This brings me to my problem.

Since it’s been thirteen years since I last took a math course my advisor is pressuring me to take the pre-calculus sequence at my school. This means taking a three credit algebra course and a two credit trigonometry course, both of which can be taken in the same semester. My advisor feels that, given the time gap in my education, I should take the pre-calculus sequence instead of jumping straight into Calculus I despite my placement scores.

I’m conflicted on this as part of me agrees with her. Thirteen years is a long time, and regardless of my ability to do well on the placement exam it might be a good idea to take pre-calculus. However, I’m worried that this is just an extension of the same paranoia which kept me from returning to school for so long.

Part of me feels that if my exam scores put me in Calculus I then I should just register for Calculus I, and maybe do some review of relevant pre-calculus topics in the time before the semester starts.

I’m really just looking for some advice from people who have more experience with college level math than I do. Any advice you have would be appreciated. Thanks!

Kurfew

Physics news on Phys.org
I was in a fairly similar situation. I returned to college at 25, so it hadn't been quite as long as yourself, but most of the math that I knew was gone. I tested into calc I, by my adviser also highly recommended that I take college algebra and trig first. So, I did...and I'm very glad that I did. I'm going to be MUCH more prepared to start calculus this fall now that I've taken them.

Placement tests often aren't really that accurate. They definitely do not cover all of the material that you will be using in calculus. I'd suggest at the minimum going online to a site like Khan Academy and reviewing some of the algebra and trig stuff on there.

You placed into Calc so I wouldn't discount your skills. How much of a self-starter are yoù. Can you study on your own? If so, get Schaum's trig and pre-calc workbooks and.work problems from the beginning. If they're easy for you, keep progressing. If you get stuck, work on learning the concepts from Schaum's (brief summaries only) or from a text. You can always get help here, too. If you get through the material this summer, you're good to go.If you're lost, take the remedial classes.

I would take the remedial sequence if I were you, it's important to have a strong foundation. I could have started at calculus 1 when I got to college but chose to start at algebra to really learn the basics. Doing so made calculus 1 & 2 a breeze.

I go to a community college and it's currently the summer semester, as such there are many transient students from strong state universities. I'm the only student in my calculus 3 class from my CC and surprisingly I'm the ONLY student passing the course,
not to mention with a 98 average (the professor puts a lot of proofs on exams which the students aren't comfortable with). I would bet a lot of these students are struggling due to them starting off with calculus 1 their first semester like many freshman do.

What you get out of a class is directly related to the effort you put into the class. While taking these remedial classes try to truly get a grasp on what it is the math is attempting to model/explain, practice deriving relationships and proving things, this will only make it easier later on. You should also take the time to really learn how to read a math textbook and be able to comprehend the material on your own. I'll sometimes spend 9-10 hours in a single session reading my calculus book and taking my own notes on the section.

Point is, never think a course is "beneath" you, there is always a deeper understanding to be obtained.

Last edited:
, first of all, congratulations on taking the brave step to return to school and pursue a STEM degree! It takes a lot of courage to overcome fears and doubts, and your determination is commendable.

Regarding your math dilemma, it is understandable that you may feel uncertain about jumping back into Calculus after a long break from math courses. However, it is also important to trust in your abilities and the placement exam results. If you feel confident in your skills and understanding of calculus concepts, then it may be worth considering taking the Calculus I course and reviewing pre-calculus topics on your own before the semester starts. This will not only save you time and money, but also help build your confidence in your math abilities.

On the other hand, if you are unsure about your readiness for Calculus I, taking the pre-calculus sequence may provide a good refresher and help you ease back into the math mindset before tackling more advanced concepts. Ultimately, the decision should be based on your personal comfort level and goals.

I would also recommend speaking with your advisor and discussing your concerns and options. They may have valuable insights and suggestions based on their experience working with other returning students. Additionally, reaching out to professors or tutors in the math department for guidance and support can also be helpful.

Remember, it is never too late to pursue your passions and goals. With hard work and dedication, you can succeed in any field, including STEM. Best of luck to you on your academic journey!

Related to Returning college student with a math dilemma.

What is a returning college student with a math dilemma?

A returning college student with a math dilemma refers to a student who has previously attended college but has taken a break from their studies and is now returning to college with a concern or difficulty in understanding math concepts.

What are some common math dilemmas faced by returning college students?

Some common math dilemmas faced by returning college students include difficulty remembering previously learned math concepts, struggling with new or advanced topics, and not having a strong foundation in math due to a long break from studying.

How can a returning college student overcome their math dilemma?

To overcome their math dilemma, a returning college student can seek help from their professors, tutors, or classmates, practice regularly, and use online resources or study aids. It is also important for them to have a positive attitude and not be afraid to ask for help.

Is it normal to face math difficulties as a returning college student?

Yes, it is normal to face math difficulties as a returning college student. Taking a break from studying math can make it challenging to remember previously learned concepts, and new topics may seem overwhelming. However, with persistence and proper support, a returning student can overcome these difficulties.

Can a returning college student still succeed in math despite their dilemma?

Yes, a returning college student can still succeed in math despite their dilemma. With determination, hard work, and utilizing available resources, a returning student can improve their understanding of math and excel in their studies. It is important to remember that everyone learns at their own pace and it is okay to struggle at times.