Review my simplified Lab instructions for Alum

• Thread starter MightyCatt
  • Start date
MightyCatt
Hello, I recently started writing my own step by step instructions for lab as the ones in my lab book are intimidating a little hard to follow. This is for General Chemistry 1 LAB. It's for a synthesis of Alum. Would someone review my simplified instructions and give me feedback? I would appreciate it if so, Thanks! :D
20231009_091738.jpg
ALUMSS.png
ALUMSS2.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Your instructions are a little fuzzy and hard to read. Can you attach a PDF copy of them? Thanks.

Likes MightyCatt
berkeman said:
Welcome to PF.

Your instructions are a little fuzzy and hard to read. Can you attach a PDF copy of them? Thanks.
Adobe LAB3-ALUM

Oops, sorry about that. Here ya go, I made a Adobe PDF sharing link and attached a word doc, let me know if you still have trouble accessing/seeing the document. Thanks!

Attachments

• LAB 3 Instructions.docx
    30.6 KB · Views: 52
MightyCatt said:
I made a Adobe PDF sharing link and attached a word doc,
It's best to print the Word doc to PDF and attach it directly. Links can be broken over time, and Word attachments can contain macros.

Also, I didn't see a section at the beginning of the document outlining any general or specific safety issues. Should there be one?

berkeman said:
Also, I didn't see a section at the beginning of the document outlining any general or specific safety issues. Should there be one?
Got it, I will remember that. The original lab instructions contain safety information on a different page, these instructions are just for me to follow them step by step and so I don't let lost in the paragraphs of the original instructions.

Attachments

• ALUM Lab 3.pdf
    533.1 KB · Views: 73
Likes berkeman

Related to Review my simplified Lab instructions for Alum

What materials do I need for the Alum lab?

You will need aluminum foil, potassium aluminum sulfate (alum), distilled water, a heat source, a beaker, a stirring rod, a funnel, and filter paper.

How do I prepare the aluminum foil for the experiment?

Cut the aluminum foil into small pieces to increase the surface area, which helps it dissolve more quickly in the solution.

What is the procedure for dissolving the aluminum foil?

Heat the distilled water in a beaker until it is near boiling. Gradually add the aluminum foil pieces and stir continuously until the foil is completely dissolved. This may take some time, so be patient.

How do I crystallize the Alum from the solution?

Once the aluminum foil is dissolved, allow the solution to cool to room temperature. Then, place the solution in a refrigerator to further cool it. Crystals will start to form as the solution cools. Filter out the crystals using a funnel and filter paper.

How do I ensure the purity of the Alum crystals?

To ensure the purity, you can recrystallize the Alum. Dissolve the initial batch of crystals in a small amount of hot distilled water and allow it to cool slowly. This process can be repeated if necessary to obtain purer crystals.