Richard Dawkins Slams Pope as 'Stupid' for Views on Condoms and Aids in Africa

• Thread starter Moridin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stupid
In summary: Pope Benedict XVI in Angola (21 March 2009)The Pope said distributing condoms was not the answer to HIV/Aids.This statement is in opposition to many organizations who believe that condoms can help reduce the spread of HIV/Aids. Professor Dawkins, a prominent biologist and atheist, said that the Pope would have blood on his hands if his beliefs were followed by Catholics around the continent. This statement seems to be more political than anything else, as it is in opposition to a popular opinion. Dawkins has a strong opinion on the matter, and he is not afraid to share it. However, some people may view this as rude and unprofessional.
Ivan Seeking said:
Except for the fact that he seems to have no idea what he's talking about when it comes to religion. He is no more qualified to comment on religion than the Pope is to discuss String Theory.

This makes the invalid assumption that theology is a meaningful topic. It is like me brushing away your criticism towards the existence of fairies by claiming that you are not qualified to speak of fariology.

Physics news on Phys.org
Moridin said:
This makes the invalid assumption that theology is a meaningful topic. It is like me brushing away your criticism towards the existence of fairies by claiming that you are not qualified to speak of fariology.

Subjects like religion (and even fairys believe it or not) have a long history and a deep significance to many people, their culture, and their heritage. I would say that regardless of its lack of meaning to you it does indeed have meaning to quite a large percentage of the planets population. If it didn't then this thread wouldn't exist and Dawkins would have no reason to criticize the Pope.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Subjects like religion (and even fairys believe it or not) have a long history and a deep significance to many people, their culture, and their heritage. I would say that regardless of its lack of meaning to you it does indeed have meaning to quite a large percentage of the planets population. If it didn't then this thread wouldn't exist and Dawkins would have no reason to criticize the Pope.

Even granting your idea to be valid, how is Dawkins then not qualified to speak on religion? Having read his books, I think his grasp of the history of the Catholic Church and Christianity in general is as sharp as that of any priest or pope.

TheStatutoryApe said:

Subjects like witchcraft and demonology have a long history and a deep significance to many people, their culture, and their heritage. I would say that regardless of its lack of meaning to you it does indeed have meaning to quite a large percentage of the planets population. If it didn't then this thread wouldn't exist and Dawkins would have no reason to criticize the Devil and Witches.

Naturally, this fact does not entail the fact that witchcraft and demonology are meaningful subjects to discuss like physics or economy and therefore, arguments that purport to dismiss criticism of itself simply by pointing out that the opponent is not an esteemed expert in said area are invalid.

We need to tiptoe around religious figures, chroot, because they are great examples of what human beings can be. How can anyone be hostile toward a person so devoted to charity and doing good works in the world? People confuse Roman Catholicism with Christian fundamentalism, or evangelism.

phi29 said:
We need to tiptoe around religious figures, chroot, because they are great examples of what human beings can be. How can anyone be hostile toward a person so devoted to charity and doing good works in the world? People confuse Roman Catholicism with Christian fundamentalism, or evangelism.

Mmmmm, no they are not.

phi29 said:
We need to tiptoe around religious figures, chroot, because they are great examples of what human beings can be.
We have to be nice to dictators because they have imaginary friends?

People confuse Roman Catholicism with Christian fundamentalism, or evangelism.
RC is worse. The man with the big hat banning condoms in countries with high aids rates is a lot more dangerous than a bunch of idiots in Texas claiming that man lived with dinosaurs.

Ghost803 said:
Even granting your idea to be valid, how is Dawkins then not qualified to speak on religion? Having read his books, I think his grasp of the history of the Catholic Church and Christianity in general is as sharp as that of any priest or pope.

Moridin said:
Naturally, this fact does not entail the fact that witchcraft and demonology are meaningful subjects to discuss like physics or economy and therefore, arguments that purport to dismiss criticism of itself simply by pointing out that the opponent is not an esteemed expert in said area are invalid.

I never said that Dawkins could not discuss the topic or had no knowledge of it. I took exception to the assertion that such topics are not meaningful and which seemed to infer that any expertise of the Pope on such topics is meaningless.

Sorry for my late response.

rootX said:
I am afraid the topic is not good (bit religious).. but, I got to love Dawkins here :biggrin:
(What Pope said, that just doesn't make sense)
The pope simply pursues the same successful, centuries old, strategy for growth.

It's not that long ago that Catholic families in Europe had 6 to 10 children and that
the church would visit families in years when there wasn't any new born baby to see
what was wrong with the marriage and what could be done about it.

It's only 25 years ago that the average female had 6 children in Roman Catholic
South America. It's now down to the 2.5 region thanks to disobedience to the church
and the use of anti conception pills.

Africa is still a "growth market" and they probably figure that not using condoms
gives more new born Roman Catholics as it kills existing ones. I wouldn't be surprised
if they see AIDS as an act of god anyway.Regards, Hans

Back