Riemann Integral: Proving $\int_a^b f = \int_a^c f + \int_c^b f$

In summary, the conversation discusses the integrability of a bounded function $f$ on the interval $[a,b]$, and states that $f$ is integrable on $[a,b]$ if and only if it is integrable on $[a,c]$ and $[c,b]$. The provided proof for the direction $\Rightarrow$ involves partitioning the interval $[a,b]$ and using a specific point $c$ to create two additional partitions, $P_1$ and $P_2$, which can be used to show that $f$ is integrable on $[a,c]$ and $[c,b]$. The proof also involves the use of upper and lower sums to show that the function is integr
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello again! (Blush)

Let $f:[a,b] \to \mathbb{R}$ bounded and $c \in (a,b)$.Then $f$ is integrable at $[a,b]$ iff $f$ is integrable at $[a,c]$ and $[c,b]$.In this case,we have $\int_a^b f = \int_a^c f + \int_c^b f$.
The proof for the direction $\Rightarrow$ is like that:
Suppose that $f$ is integral.Let $\epsilon>0$.As $f$ is integrable there is a partition $P=\{a=t_0<t_1<...<t_n=b\}$ of $[a,b]$ such that $U(f,P)-L(f,P)< \epsilon$.
The point $c$ is in an interval $[t_i,t_{i+1}]$.Let's suppose,without loss of generality,that $c$ is not a endpoint of $[t_i,t_{i+1}]$.
So,we have the partitions:
$P_{1}=\{a=t_{0}<...<t_i<c\}$ of $[a,c]$ and $P_2={c<t_{i+1}<...<t_{n}=b}$ of $[c,b]$.
Therefore,$U(f,P_1)-L(f,P_1)\overset{1}{=}$$[U(f,P \cup \{c\})-L(f,P \cup \{c\})]-U(f,P_2)-L(f,P_2)$$ \leq U(f,P \cup \{c\})-L(f,P \cup \{c\}) \leq U(f,P)-L(f,P) < \epsilon$

But..how do we get to $\overset{1}{=}..$?? Isn't it $P=P_1 \cup P_2 \cup \{c\}$ ?

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello again! (Blush)

Let $f:[a,b] \to \mathbb{R}$ bounded and $c \in (a,b)$.Then $f$ is integrable at $[a,b]$ iff $f$ is integrable at $[a,c]$ and $[c,b]$.In this case,we have $\int_a^b f = \int_a^c f + \int_c^b f$.
The proof for the direction $\Rightarrow$ is like that:
Suppose that $f$ is integral.Let $\epsilon>0$.As $f$ is integrable there is a partition $P=\{a=t_0<t_1<...<t_n=b\}$ of $[a,b]$ such that $U(f,P)-L(f,P)< \epsilon$.
The point $c$ is in an interval $[t_i,t_{i+1}]$.Let's suppose,without loss of generality,that $c$ is not a endpoint of $[t_i,t_{i+1}]$.
So,we have the partitions:
$P_{1}=\{a=t_{0}<...<t_i<c\}$ of $[a,c]$ and $P_2={c<t_{i+1}<...<t_{n}=b}$ of $[c,b]$.
Therefore,$U(f,P_1)-L(f,P_1)\overset{1}{=}$$[U(f,P \cup \{c\})-L(f,P \cup \{c\})]-U(f,P_2)-L(f,P_2)$$ \leq U(f,P \cup \{c\})-L(f,P \cup \{c\}) \leq U(f,P)-L(f,P) < \epsilon$

But..how do we get to $\overset{1}{=}..$?? Isn't it $P=P_1 \cup P_2 \cup \{c\}$ ?

You answer yourself
without loss of generality,that $c$ is not a endpoint of $[t_i,t_{i+1}]$.
since it is not an end point for an interval like that so it is not in the partition
it is like we have a partition
x0--x1--x2--x3 : P
add c somewhere
x0--x1--c--x2--x3 : P U C

$U(P_1) = (x_1-x_0)M_1 + (c-x_1)M_2 , L(P_1) = (x_1-x_0)m_1 + (c-x_1)m_2 $

$U(P_2) = (x_2-c)M_3 + (x_3-x_2)M_4 , L(P_2) = (x_2 -c)m_3 + (x_3-x_2)m_4 $

$U(P \cup C) =(x_1-x_0)M_1 + (c-x_1)M_2 + (x_2-c)M_3 + (x_3-x_2)M_4 $
But
$U(P) = (x_1-x_0)M_1 + (x_2-x_1)M_* + (x_3-x_2)M_4 $
so
$ U(P \cup C) \leq U(P) $
M stands for the maximum of f(x) at the interval and m for the minimum of f(x) at the interval
and
$L(P) \leq L(P \cup C) $
So
$ U(P \cup C) - L(P\cup C) \leq U(P) - L(P) $...(**)
But still I can't see why :
$U(f,P_1)-L(f,P_1)\overset{1}{=}$$[U(f,P \cup \{c\})-L(f,P \cup \{c\})]-U(f,P_2)-L(f,P_2)$
I think it should be
$ U(P_1 ) - L(P_1) = U(P\cup C) - U(P_2) - ( L(P\cup C) - L(P_2)) $

My proof
$ U(P\cup C) - L(P\cup C) = U(P_1 ) - L(P_1) + U(P_2) - L(P_2) > U(P_1) - L(P_1) $
with (**) we get what we want

I haven't understood it.Does $c$ belong in the partitions $P_1$ and $P_2$ ?? :confused:(Thinking)

evinda said:
I haven't understood it.Does $c$ belong in the partitions $P_1$ and $P_2$ ?? :confused:(Thinking)

Since \(\displaystyle f\in \mathcal{R}(E)\), there exists a partition \(\displaystyle P_{E}=\{t_0, t_1, ..., t_n\}\), (\(\displaystyle a=t_0\), \(\displaystyle b=t_n\)), such that \(\displaystyle U(f,P_E)-L(f,P_E)<\epsilon\). Clearly \(\displaystyle c\) must be contained in some interval \(\displaystyle [t_i,t_{i+1}]\) (for \(\displaystyle 0\leq i \leq n-1\)). Then a refinement can be put into \(\displaystyle P^{*}_{E}=\{t_0, ..., t_i, c, t_{i+1}, ..., t_n\}\). We have \(\displaystyle U(f,P^*_E)-L(f,P^*_E)<\epsilon\). Take \(\displaystyle P_{[a,c]}=\{t_0, ..., t_i, c\}\) and \(\displaystyle P_{[c,b]}=\{c, t_{i+1}, ..., t_n\}\). Hence, \(\displaystyle U(f,P^*_E)-L(f,P^*_E)=(U(f,P_{[a,c]})-L(f,P_{[a,c]}))+(U(f,P_{[c,b]})-L(f,P_{[c,b]}))<\epsilon\). Hence \(\displaystyle U(f,P_{[a,c]})-L(f,P_{[a,c]})<\epsilon\) and \(\displaystyle (U(f,P_{[c,b]})-L(f,P_{[c,b]}))<\epsilon\). Hence \(\displaystyle f\in \mathcal{R}([a,c])\), \(\displaystyle f\in \mathcal{R}([c,b])\) and \(\displaystyle \int_a^b f=\int_a^c f+\int_c^b f\).

Conversely, ...

Hi there! The reason for $\overset{1}{=}$ is because we have the partition $P$ for $[a,b]$ and by adding the point $c$ to it, we are essentially creating two new partitions $P_1$ for $[a,c]$ and $P_2$ for $[c,b]$. This means that the upper and lower sums for $P$ will be equal to the upper and lower sums for $P_1$ and $P_2$ combined. This is why we can say that $U(f,P_1)-L(f,P_1)=[U(f,P)-U(f,P_2)]-[L(f,P)-L(f,P_2)]$. Hope this helps clarify!

Related to Riemann Integral: Proving $\int_a^b f = \int_a^c f + \int_c^b f$

1. What is the definition of a Riemann Integral?

The Riemann Integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve on a given interval. It is defined as the limit of a sum of rectangles as the width of the rectangles approaches zero.

2. What is the significance of proving the equation $\int_a^b f = \int_a^c f + \int_c^b f$?

This equation is significant because it allows us to split a single integral into two separate integrals, making it easier to calculate the overall area under the curve. It also allows us to calculate the integral on different intervals, which can be useful in certain applications.

3. What is the process for proving the equation $\int_a^b f = \int_a^c f + \int_c^b f$?

The process for proving this equation involves splitting the integral into two parts, one on the interval [a,c] and the other on the interval [c,b]. Then, using the properties of integrals, we can combine the two integrals to get the original integral on the interval [a,b]. This can be done using the definition of the Riemann integral and the basic properties of integrals such as linearity and additivity.

4. Can this equation be applied to all functions?

No, this equation can only be applied to continuous functions on a closed interval. If the function is not continuous or the interval is not closed, then this equation may not hold true.

5. What are the key concepts to understand when proving the equation $\int_a^b f = \int_a^c f + \int_c^b f$?

To prove this equation, one must have a thorough understanding of the definition of a Riemann Integral, as well as the properties of integrals such as linearity and additivity. Additionally, knowledge of basic calculus concepts such as limits and the fundamental theorem of calculus is necessary for understanding the proof.

Back