Ring Homomorphism - showing Multiplicativity

• Thread starter RVP91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ring
In summary, the map Q: A --> Z/2Z is defined as Q(a + bi) = (a + b) + 2Z, where A = Z[i] and i = √-1. We need to show that this map is a ring homomorphism, and we have already shown it to be additive. For multiplicativity, we need to show Q(ab) = Q(a)Q(b). After some calculations, we can see that both sides are equal and thus the map is a ring homomorphism.
RVP91
Hi,

I have the following map Q: A --> Z/2Z (where Z denotes the symbol for integers) defined by
Q(a + bi) = (a + b) + 2Z

where A = Z = {a + bi | a,b in Z} and i = √-1.

I need to show it is a ring homomorphism.

I have shown it is addivitivity by showing Q(a + b) = Q(a) + Q(b) by doing the following,
Q((a+bi)+(c+di)) = Q((a+c)+(b+d)i) = a+c+b+d+2Z = (a+b+2Z)+(c+d+2Z) = Q(a+bi) + Q(c+di)

Now for multiplicativity i know I have to show Q(ab) = Q(a)Q(b) but my working out seems to break down when i try to show LHS = RHS or RHS = LHS.

This is how I approached it thus far, LHS = RHS
Q((a+bi)(c+di)) = Q((ac-bd)+(ad+bc)i) = ac-bd+ad+bc+2Z and then I'm not sure where to go as nowhere seems to take me to what I need to show.

Any help would be most appreciated, thanks in advance

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi,

I have the following map Q: A --> Z/2Z (where Z denotes the symbol for integers) defined by
Q(a + bi) = (a + b) + 2Z

where A = Z = {a + bi | a,b in Z} and i = √-1.

I need to show it is a ring homomorphism.

I have shown it is addivitivity by showing Q(a + b) = Q(a) + Q(b) by doing the following,
Q((a+bi)+(c+di)) = Q((a+c)+(b+d)i) = a+c+b+d+2Z = (a+b+2Z)+(c+d+2Z) = Q(a+bi) + Q(c+di)

Now for multiplicativity i know I have to show Q(ab) = Q(a)Q(b) but my working out seems to break down when i try to show LHS = RHS or RHS = LHS.

This is how I approached it thus far, LHS = RHS
Q((a+bi)(c+di)) = Q((ac-bd)+(ad+bc)i) = ac-bd+ad+bc+2Z and then I'm not sure where to go as nowhere seems to take me to what I need to show.

Any help would be most appreciated, thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

Why do you think it'd be a good idea to post this question in General Math instead of Linear & Abstract Algebra?

Anyway, as you wrote:

[itex]Q\left((a+bi)(c+di)\right)=ac-bd+ad+bc+2Z[/itex] , whereas

[itex]Q(a+bi)Q(c+di)=\left((a+b)+2Z\right)\left((c+d)+2Z\right)=ac+ad+bc+bd+2Z[/itex].

In order to show both lines above are the same, we must show that

[itex]ac-bd+ad+bc-(ac+ad+bc+bd)=0\pmod 2\Longleftrightarrow -2bd=0\pmod 2[/itex] , which is trivially true and we're done.

DonAntonio

Related to Ring Homomorphism - showing Multiplicativity

1. What is a ring homomorphism?

A ring homomorphism is a mathematical function that maps elements from one ring to another while preserving the ring structure. This means that it preserves the operations of addition and multiplication.

2. What is meant by "showing multiplicativity" in a ring homomorphism?

Showing multiplicativity in a ring homomorphism means proving that the function preserves the multiplication operation. In other words, if a and b are elements in the first ring, the homomorphism will map their product to the product of their images in the second ring.

3. How is multiplicativity shown in a ring homomorphism?

Multiplicativity in a ring homomorphism is shown by proving that the function satisfies the equation f(ab) = f(a) * f(b). This means that the function preserves the multiplication of any two elements in the first ring.

4. Why is showing multiplicativity important in a ring homomorphism?

Showing multiplicativity in a ring homomorphism is important because it ensures that the function preserves the algebraic structure of the rings. This is necessary for the function to be considered a homomorphism and for it to be useful in solving mathematical problems.

5. What are some examples of ring homomorphisms that show multiplicativity?

Examples of ring homomorphisms that show multiplicativity include the identity function, where the elements in the first ring are mapped to the same elements in the second ring, and the zero function, where all elements in the first ring are mapped to the additive identity element in the second ring.