Roots of p ( z ) in IR [ z ] (Lava's question at Yahoo Answers)

• MHB
  • Thread starter Fernando Revilla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ir Roots
In summary, the equation z3 + az2 + bz + c = 0, where a, b, c are real, will have a purely imaginary root if the real part is equal to zero. This can be proven by using the Cardano-Vieta relations and setting the roots as z1=-a, z2=+√(b)i, and z3=-√(b)i.
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Lava,

Denote $z_1,z_2,z_3$ the roots of $p(z)=z^3+az^2+bz+c\in\mathbb{R}[z]$. If $\beta i$ is a root of $p(z)$, then $-\beta i$ is also a root of $p(z)$ ($p(z)$ is a real polynomial). By hypothesis $\beta\ne 0$ and $p(z)$ has a real root $\alpha$ (odd degree). If $z_1=\alpha$, $z_2=\beta i$, $z_3=-\beta i$, and using the Cardano-Vieta relations: $$\left \{ \begin{matrix} z_1+z_2+z_3=-a\\z_1z_2+z_1z_3+z_2z_3=b\\z_1z_2z_3=-c\end{matrix}\right.\Leftrightarrow \left \{ \begin{matrix} \alpha=-a\\\beta^2=b\\\alpha\beta^2=-c\end{matrix}\right.$$ As $\beta^2=b=c/a$, necessarily $c=ba.$ So the roots of $p(z)$ are $z_1=-a$, $z_2=+\sqrt{|b|}i$, $z_3=-\sqrt{|b|}i$.

Related to Roots of p ( z ) in IR [ z ] (Lava's question at Yahoo Answers)

1. What does it mean for a polynomial to have roots in the real numbers?

Having roots in the real numbers means that there are values of z in the set of real numbers that make the polynomial p(z) equal to zero. In other words, these values of z are solutions to the equation p(z) = 0.

2. How can I determine the roots of a polynomial in the real numbers?

The simplest way to determine the roots is by using the rational root theorem. This theorem states that if a polynomial has rational roots, then they must be of the form p/q where p is a factor of the constant term and q is a factor of the leading coefficient. Once you have found a potential rational root, you can use synthetic division or polynomial long division to test if it is a true root.

3. Why is it important to find the roots of a polynomial in the real numbers?

Finding the roots of a polynomial can help us understand the behavior and properties of the polynomial. For example, the number of distinct roots in the real numbers can tell us the degree of the polynomial and how many times it crosses the x-axis. Additionally, the roots can be used to factor the polynomial and solve equations involving the polynomial.

4. Can a polynomial have complex roots in addition to real roots?

Yes, a polynomial can have complex roots in addition to real roots. In fact, a polynomial with degree n has n complex roots (counting multiplicities) in the complex numbers. This is known as the fundamental theorem of algebra.

5. How do the roots of a polynomial relate to its graph in the complex plane?

The roots of a polynomial correspond to the points where the graph of the polynomial intersects with the x-axis in the complex plane. The number of distinct roots can tell us the degree of the polynomial and how many times it crosses the x-axis. Additionally, the complex roots can be used to construct the graph of the polynomial in the complex plane.