Rotational Inertia about Rotation Axis Through COM

In summary: F and R ?… and what is the angular acceleration in terms of a and R ?… and finally, using the equation net torque = Iα, how do you calculate I about the axis that you're given?In summary, a constant horizontal force is applied to a wheel of mass 10 kg and radius 0.30 m, causing it to roll smoothly on a horizontal surface with an acceleration of 0.60 m/s2. To find the magnitude and direction of the frictional force on the wheel, the equations for angular acceleration and net torque are used. The rotational inertia of the wheel about the axis through its center of mass is calculated by using the equation net torque
Reefy

Homework Statement

A constant horizontal force of magnitude 10 N is applied to a
wheel of mass 10 kg and radius 0.30 m as shown in the figure.
The wheel rolls smoothly on the horizontal surface, and the
acceleration of its center of mass has magnitude 0.60 m/s2.

(a) What are the magnitude and direction of the frictional force on
the wheel?

(b) What is the rotational inertia of the wheel about the rotation
axis through its center of mass?

Homework Equations

angular acceleration α = acceleration (COM) over radius

net torque =

The Attempt at a Solution

I finished part a and found out that I have to use the equations above for part B. What I'm confused about is why I can't use the rotational inertia for a hoop about its central axis I = MR^2

attachment.php?attachmentid=8544&d=1165455553.gif

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, torque = RFsin∅. What is ∅ in this case because R can be measured from any point...

edit: actually i might have figured this angle part out. the frictional force is at the point where the wheel is touching the floor (pointing to the left or negative x-direction) and the distance from the center of the wheel to that point is R (point straight down or negative y-direction), making the angle 90 degrees.

Last edited:
Hi Reefy! :smile:

(never first-reply top your own question :redface: … it takes you off the "Unanswered" list!)
Reefy said:
…why I can't use the rotational inertia for a hoop about its central axis I = MR^2

attachment.php?attachmentid=8544&d=1165455553.gif

because the picture shows clearly that the wheel has an outer radius and an inner radius, and you're not told what they are (also the spokes are clearly not negligibly thin, as in a bicycle wheel)
Reefy said:
the frictional force is at the point where the wheel is touching the floor (pointing to the left or negative x-direction) and the distance from the center of the wheel to that point is R (point straight down or negative y-direction), making the angle 90 degrees.

yes :smile:

Likes 1 person

Related to Rotational Inertia about Rotation Axis Through COM

What is rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is determined by the object's mass and the distribution of that mass around its axis of rotation.

How is rotational inertia calculated?

Rotational inertia can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. This is known as the parallel axis theorem. For more complex shapes, the integral of the mass distribution can be used to calculate rotational inertia.

What is the relationship between rotational inertia and rotational speed?

As the rotational inertia of an object increases, its rotational speed decreases. This is due to the conservation of angular momentum, which states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque.

Why is the center of mass important in calculating rotational inertia?

The center of mass is the point where an object's mass is evenly distributed in all directions. When calculating rotational inertia, the distance from the axis of rotation to the center of mass is a crucial factor. This is because rotational inertia is directly proportional to the square of this distance.

How does rotational inertia affect an object's stability?

Objects with a higher rotational inertia are generally more stable and resistant to changes in their rotational motion. This is why heavy objects are more difficult to rotate than lighter objects. In addition, objects with their mass distributed further from their axis of rotation have a higher rotational inertia and are therefore more stable.