Rotational Motion angular speed

In summary, a wheel with an initial angular speed of 2.0 rad/s rolls down a ramp with a constant angular acceleration of 2.5 rad/s2. After 8 seconds, the wheel reaches the bottom of the ramp with a final angular speed of 22 rad/s. This is calculated using the equation omega final = omega initial + alpha * time.
physgrl

Homework Statement

11. A wheel with an angular speed of 2.0 rad/s is rolling on a horizontal surface and starts down a ramp. It rolls down the ramp with a constant angular acceleration of 2.5 rad/s2. If it takes 8 s to reach the bottom of the ramp, what is the final angular speed of the wheel at the bottom?

a. 20 rad

*b. 22 rad/s

c. 18 rad/s

d. 25.5 rad/s

Homework Equations

acentripetal=Δω/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged into the equation initial velocity as 2.0rad acceleration as 2.5 and time as 8 and solved for final velocity which have me 20 rad/s the answer key says its 22

Physics news on Phys.org
The final angular speed consists of the initial angular speed plus the amount it accelerated on the ramp.

Pertinent equation is: omega final = omega initial + alpha *time

Ohh i did my math wrong sory

FAQ: Rotational Motion angular speed

1. What is angular speed?

Angular speed is the measure of how fast an object is rotating or moving in a circular motion. It is typically measured in radians per second or degrees per second.

2. How does angular speed differ from linear speed?

Angular speed and linear speed are different because angular speed measures the rate of change of the angle of rotation, while linear speed measures the rate of change of the distance an object travels in a straight line.

3. What is the relationship between angular speed and angular velocity?

Angular speed and angular velocity are related because both measure the rate of change of the angle of rotation. However, angular velocity also takes into account the direction of the rotation, while angular speed does not.

4. How is angular speed calculated?

Angular speed can be calculated by dividing the angle of rotation by the time it takes to complete that rotation. It can also be calculated by dividing the angular velocity by the radius of the circular motion.

5. What are some real-world examples of rotational motion and angular speed?

Some examples of rotational motion and angular speed include a spinning top, a ceiling fan, a merry-go-round, and a record player. In each of these examples, the objects are rotating at a certain angular speed.

Back