Rotational Motion. Apparently, I have no idea what I'm doing.

In summary, the conversation discusses a thin, long cylindrical rod initially rotating about its long axis with angular momentum L. The initial kinetic energy is expressed in terms of its mass, radius, length, and angular momentum. The system can lower its energy while maintaining angular momentum by changing the distribution of its mass or orientation, but it is unclear how this can be done without applying an external torque. The ratio of final to initial energy cannot be calculated without changing the moment of inertia, and it is unknown how thin the rod must be to be considered "thin and long."
baby_bunny_bee
ok... We were given the following question... (I apologize for it's length... please bear with me)

A thin long cylindrical rod (mass M radius R and length l) is initially rotating about its long axis with angular momentum L. There are no external forces or torques however interestingly Ke is usually not conserved.
a) Express the initial Ke of the system in terms of M R l and L
b) Describe how the system can lower its energy while maintaining constant angular momentum.
c) Calculate the ratio of the final to initial energy
d) How thin does a rod of radius R have to be at least so that one can consider it as "thin and long"

Ok. First of all... I have no idea what the formula is for a thin long rod about it's long axis. (The only formulas I can find are for through the cm and perpendicular to the long axis) so I assumed I = 1/2 MR^2 (inertia for a solid cylinder). If that's right, I get Ke = (L^2)/MR^2
And that's fine. Except that I don't have an l term. Which means that when I go to do part d... I can't find the ratio of l to R necessary.
Also I have no idea what the "final" energy would be because I have no idea how MUCH Ke is lost based on the question...

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Nicola

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the moment of inertia of the rod about its axis of rotation, then use the formula for the rotational kinetic energy of a spinning rigid body in terms of L and I (the moment of inertia).

For b): Think of the analogous situation of an iceskater spinning a pirouette. If the arms are outstretched and pulled inwards towards the body the spinning will speed up. Angular momentum is conserved, but the rotational energy increases.

baby_bunny_bee said:
a) Express the initial Ke of the system in terms of M R l and L...so I assumed I = 1/2 MR^2 (inertia for a solid cylinder).
That's right. And rotational kinetic energy is:

[tex]KE = \frac{1}{2}I\omega^2 = \frac{1}{2}L^2/I = \frac{L^2}{MR^2} [/tex]
so you are right.
b) Describe how the system can lower its energy while maintaining constant angular momentum.
A system can change its energy by changing the distribution of its mass (ie. by increasing the distance of its mass from the axis of rotation, the kinetic energy would be lowered). I don't see how that can be done here. If you wanted to change its orientation, and thereby transfer some of its angular momentum to another axis of rotation, you would have to apply an external torque. (you could lower its temperature, but I think they are asking about kinetic energy).
c) Calculate the ratio of the final to initial energy
This question makes sense only if you can change the moment of inertia. But I don't know how you can do that with a cylindrical rod without applying an external torque.
d) How thin does a rod of radius R have to be at least so that one can consider it as "thin and long"
R>>l ?? Beats me. The question makes sense if you are talking about electrical charge, but not moment of inertia.

AM

Related to Rotational Motion. Apparently, I have no idea what I'm doing.

What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. It can be described as a circular or curved path of motion.

What are some examples of rotational motion?

Some examples of rotational motion include the spinning of a top, the rotation of the Earth on its axis, and the movement of a Ferris wheel.

How is rotational motion different from linear motion?

Rotational motion involves movement around an axis, while linear motion is the movement of an object in a straight line. Additionally, rotational motion can involve a change in angular velocity, while linear motion is characterized by a constant velocity.

What factors affect rotational motion?

Some factors that can affect rotational motion include the mass of the object, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the force applied to the object.

How is rotational motion measured?

Rotational motion is measured using units of angular displacement (such as degrees or radians), angular velocity (such as revolutions per minute or radians per second), and angular acceleration (such as radians per second squared).