Rubber Band Powered Mass Transporter

In summary, the problem is that there isn't enough potential energy in the rubber band to move something that heavy. You may be able to solve the problem by using lighter materials or by using gear ratios that allow for more torque.
Zephyr
I need help. I need to design a device to transport a 1kg pass ten meters over a level surface using the energy stored in a #10 rubber band.

I decided to use three wheels at the structure, and i created a car with a basswood top and the rubber band is wounded up at the rear axel to get power. however when i release it, there isn't enough power to move it.

any suggestions on what kind of design i should do? how i should build it? i really need help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a limit to the number of rubber bands you can use? Your big problem will be mass and friction. There just isn't enough potential energy in the rubber band to move something that heavy. If you can only use one rubber band, then you'll need to make your cart lighter somehow. Either make it smaller, or use lighter materials.

Hope this aint too late but anyway I am doing same sort of project.
Like the other guy sais, the lighter the better right and if you can only use one rubber band you're going to need some serious gear ratios, i.e. attach ur rubber band to a un-attatched axle with a large gear on it that connects to a small gear on the actual axle (the one attatched to the wheels). Although that would give you greater distance it might be insufficiant torque in which case do the opposite and have the large gear attatched to the working' axle. The other way to make the most of your rubber band is to twist it as oppose to stretch it.
Check this out; http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...a=N&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&tbs=isch:1

Perfect example, or just google twisted rubber band and you'll see what i mean.
Hope that helps and for enyone else too,
peace!

Related to Rubber Band Powered Mass Transporter

What is a Rubber Band Powered Mass Transporter?

A Rubber Band Powered Mass Transporter is a small vehicle or mechanism that is powered by the kinetic energy of a rubber band. It is designed to transport objects or materials from one location to another using the stored energy of the rubber band.

How does a Rubber Band Powered Mass Transporter work?

A Rubber Band Powered Mass Transporter works by stretching a rubber band and then releasing it. This releases the stored energy in the rubber band, which propels the vehicle or mechanism forward. The rubber band is then reset for the next use.

What are the benefits of using a Rubber Band Powered Mass Transporter?

Rubber Band Powered Mass Transporters are cost-effective, environmentally-friendly, and require no external power source. They are also easy to use and can be built from simple materials, making them accessible for educational purposes.

What are the limitations of a Rubber Band Powered Mass Transporter?

Rubber Band Powered Mass Transporters have limited power and range, as they rely on the energy stored in a rubber band. They are also affected by external factors such as wind and surface friction, which can decrease their efficiency.

What are some potential uses for a Rubber Band Powered Mass Transporter?

Rubber Band Powered Mass Transporters can be used for small-scale transportation, such as moving objects within a classroom or lab. They can also be used as a learning tool for students to understand basic principles of energy conversion and mechanics.