Scavengers vs. Decomposers: What's the Difference?

• Thread starter vanmaiden
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses whether a scavenger can be considered a decomposer and the differences between the two. The book mentioned only talks about different types of decomposers, such as saprotrophs and detritivores. The conversation also presents examples of scavengers competing with decomposers for food and mentions that decomposers are smaller organisms that break down complex organic matter for plants to use. It is suggested to consult a textbook for a more thorough answer.
vanmaiden

Homework Statement

Would a scavenger be considered a decomposer? What is the difference between the two?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My book is kind of equivocal on this matter. It does not mention scavengers but talks about differing types of decomposers (saprotrophs and detritivores).

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a good question, in that it provides grounds for thought. I wouldn't say a S can be a D. S may compete with D, e.g., a fox eating a decaying roadkill rabbit; crocodiles eating a decaying drowned buffalo; sharks feeding on a rotting whale carcass.

S's seem to be higher order consumers, whereas D's are smaller organisms such as worms, termites, bacteria and fungi. I seem to recall that D's break down complex organic matter into smaller molecules that plants can use directly, e.g., worm wee. A fox's manure has to be broken down further, regardless whether it has been feeding off fresh rabbit or decaying rabbit. I'd think of a beach crab as a S, whereas a beach worm would, I think, be a D.

This is just off the top of my head. If you want a good textbook answer, better consult a good textbook. :smile:

Related to Scavengers vs. Decomposers: What's the Difference?

What is the difference between scavengers and decomposers?

Scavengers are organisms that feed on dead animals or plants, while decomposers are organisms that break down dead organisms and organic matter into simpler substances.

What is the role of scavengers in an ecosystem?

Scavengers play an important role in an ecosystem by helping to recycle nutrients and energy from dead organisms. They also help to keep the environment clean by consuming carcasses that could potentially spread disease.

How do scavengers locate their food?

Scavengers use their keen sense of smell to locate food. They are also attracted to the smell of decay and are often found near areas with high concentrations of dead organisms.

What is the process of decomposition?

Decomposition is the process by which decomposers break down dead organisms and organic matter into simpler substances. This process involves the release of enzymes that break down complex molecules into smaller, more manageable compounds.

Can scavengers also be decomposers?

Yes, some scavengers can also act as decomposers. For example, vultures are known to consume dead animals, but they also have bacteria in their digestive system that helps break down the carcasses. This makes them both scavengers and decomposers.