Second Moment of Area Homework: Answer = 351.88 x 10^6

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of the second moment of area, also known as area moment of inertia, for a cross section using calculus. The problem at hand requires finding the second moment of area about a vertical axis passing through the centroid of the cross section, which involves using the moment area method and the parallel axis theorem. The correct answer is not 351.88 x 10^6 mm^4.
v_pino

Homework Statement

I have to find the second moment of area, Iy.
The answer is 351.88 x 10^6

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I divided the shape into 2 sections and found the second moment of area for each of them then added the two. I have attached my work but is rather poor quality. I'll explain my working more if it is unclear.

Attachments

• Photo_8 copy.jpg
    Photo_8 copy.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 527
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like using calculus you are attempting to calculate the moment of inertia about the right edge of the left wide flange; if so, your second part integration limits seem like they ought to be from 0 to .3 rather than .5 to .35. But in any case, unless the problem specifically states, you are trying to find the second moment of area about the centroid of the overall section. So you must first calculate the centroid using the moment area method, then calculate the momemt of inertia about the centroid using the parallel axis theorem. Are you familiar with both? You don't need calculus if you know that the moment fo inertia of a rectangle about its own centroid is bh^3/12. I try to steer away from using calculus as much as possible..it's a great learning tool, but it can throw you off if not used properly.

Hi thanks for the reply!

I am a little confused with the difference between second moment of area and moment of inertia.

Isn't the second moment of area = integral of y^2 dA

and the moment of inertia = integral of y^2 dm

So in my solution for my problem, didn't I calculate the moment of area instead of inertia?

thanks

v_pino: Second moment of area, integral[(y^2)dA], is sometimes called area moment of inertia. Mass moment of inertia is integral[(y^2)dm]. You got the correct answer for second moment of area about the left-hand edge of your cross section. Nice work. But as PhanthomJay mentioned, the question is probably asking you to compute the second moment of area about a vertical axis passing through the centroid of the cross section. However, when you do this, the answer is not 351.88e6 mm^4.

FAQ: Second Moment of Area Homework: Answer = 351.88 x 10^6

What is the formula for calculating the second moment of area?

The formula for calculating the second moment of area is I = ∫y^2 dA, where I is the second moment of area, y is the distance from the neutral axis, and dA is the differential area element.

What are the units for the second moment of area?

The units for the second moment of area are typically mm^4 or m^4, depending on the units used for length in the calculation.

What does the answer of 351.88 x 10^6 represent?

The answer of 351.88 x 10^6 represents the numerical value of the second moment of area, which is a measure of an object's resistance to bending.

How is the second moment of area used in engineering?

The second moment of area is an important calculation in engineering, as it is used to determine the strength and stiffness of a beam or other structural element. It is also used in the design of beams, columns, and other structures to ensure they can withstand the loads placed upon them.

What factors can affect the second moment of area?

The second moment of area can be affected by the shape and size of an object, as well as the distribution of material around its cross-section. Changes in these factors can alter the value of the second moment of area and impact the structural integrity of the object.