Seeking Info on Plasma Propulsion Engine Design

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of plasma propulsion engines and how plasma is created using microwaves. The conversation also mentions the use of xenon gas and the process of ionization. The topic of spinning argon gas into a high velocity vortex and its potential applications is also brought up. The conversation then shifts to research on vortex stabilized inductively coupled discharges and their potential uses in space plasma propulsion and scram jets. The conversation ends with a discussion about the challenges of powering such systems.
Karoka
I wanted to ask about plasma propulsion engine. Plasma can be made by using radio waves. How this part of device looks like?(I know something, like an antenna, is used) I searched the net, but I didn't find anything.
Thanks in advance.
P.S Please explain as simple as you can

Science news on Phys.org
And microwaves can make ions from any gas? Can it? Because I read that usually xenon is used

Karoka said:
And microwaves can make ions from any gas? Can it? Because I read that usually xenon is used
Xenon or other high gram-molecular-weight (GMW) gas is used because a hi-GMW gas has the highest momentum transfer (specific thrust) per unit input energy; p = (2ME)½.

Bob S

And then again... Can you tell me how gas can be ionized, that is converted to plasma?

For devices like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helicon_Double_Layer_Thruster"

Ionization is accomplished with a helical antenna. The antenna launches plasma waves that accelerate electrons that collide with atoms. The collision with the atom sometimes transfers enough energy to an electron in the atom that it's ejected creating an ion and an electron. If this process happens enough the gift of plasma is formed.

Last edited by a moderator:
GiftOfPlasma said:
For devices like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helicon_Double_Layer_Thruster"

Ionization is accomplished with a helical antenna. The antenna launches plasma waves that accelerate electrons that collide with atoms. The collision with the atom sometimes transfers enough energy to an electron in the atom that it's ejected creating an ion and an electron. If this process happens enough the gift of plasma is formed.

I would like to ask if you know of any research that has looked at spinning the argon gas into a very high velocity vortex, somewhere in the system ? I see possibilities of heat recovery and separation of gas mass, using centrifuge effects and possible power generation from wasted heat.
This is a question based on thoughts of plasma arch in the center of a vortex, that has been in my mind for some time now.

Thanks
Ron

I've seen plenty of research on vortex stabilized inductively coupled discharges. My advisor, back when I was in school, did a dissertation on http://oai.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=getRecord&metadataPrefix=html&identifier=AD0729782" using bluff body stabilization. I think the efforts were to make a more conventional type of rocket replacing combustion with an ICP discharge.

Space plasma propulsion using magnetic nozzles requires a much lower collision frequency to function than you would have with a vortex flow. A vortex flow stabilized plasma discharge might have more applications in something like a scram jet but your still left with the problem of powering it.

FAQ: Seeking Info on Plasma Propulsion Engine Design

1. What is a plasma propulsion engine?

A plasma propulsion engine is a type of spacecraft engine that uses electrically charged plasma as a propellant. This allows for a more efficient and high-speed propulsion system compared to traditional chemical engines.

2. How does a plasma propulsion engine work?

A plasma propulsion engine works by using an electrical current to ionize a neutral gas, typically a noble gas like xenon, and then accelerating the ionized particles through an electromagnetic field to generate thrust.

3. What are the benefits of using a plasma propulsion engine?

The main benefits of using a plasma propulsion engine include higher efficiency, longer operating life, and the ability to achieve higher speeds compared to traditional chemical engines. Plasma engines also require less propellant, making them more cost-effective for long-distance space missions.

4. What are the challenges in designing a plasma propulsion engine?

One of the main challenges in designing a plasma propulsion engine is the complex engineering required to generate and control the high-temperature plasma. Another challenge is the high power requirements, which can be difficult to meet in space.

5. Are there any current applications of plasma propulsion engines?

Yes, plasma propulsion engines are currently used in some satellites and deep space probes, such as NASA's Dawn spacecraft which used a plasma engine to explore the asteroid belt. They are also being researched for potential use in future manned space missions and interstellar travel.