Seeking Innovative Attachment Solutions for a Biochemistry Project

Spikey
I am currently engaged in a local project that requires a unique attachment solution. We need to securely affix a 100g object, coated with cross-linked polyethylene foam, to a board that is covered in synthetic fur. The attachment must be robust enough to endure shaking and bumps. Importantly, it should also be biodegradable, allowing the object to detach naturally after a period of 2-3 days. Any insights or suggestions on materials and methods that could facilitate this requirement would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your expertise and assistance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hey, unfortunately I have no useful pictures to share...
As for your solution, have you ever tried such a material?

Spikey said:
As for your solution, have you ever tried such a material?
Of course, dentists use dissolving sutures all the time in oral surgery. By the time I go back in for my 1-week post-op appointment, the sutures are pretty much gone.

Let's go back to the basics "flour and water make paste". Is this strong enough?

Last edited:
berkeman said:
Of course, dentists use dissolving sutures all the time in oral surgery. By the time I go back in for my 1-week post-op appointment, the sutures are pretty much gone.
What make them dissolve?

Spikey said:
What make them dissolve?
I believe the link in my first reply above should cover that. I'm guessing just saliva, or maybe some blood plasma component, but I don't know for sure.

Last edited:
Well, I wrote this late last night then forget to hit the Post raply button. :oldshy:

Google searches had MANY hits. One hit noted that a mix of flour and sugar was rather common.

Try these search terms:
school paste adhesive
school paste

Also, I expect that Willdlife field researchers would have some good leads.

Cheers,
Tom

How secure is secure? Velcro and magnets are options - you don't have the strength of adhesives, but you don't have any residue either.

Spikey said:
We need to securely affix a 100g object, coated with cross-linked polyethylene foam, to a board that is covered in synthetic fur.
So you are going to attempt to tag a Nauga in the wild? Sounds terribly dangerous and difficult.

• Haha
Likes berkeman

FAQ: Seeking Innovative Attachment Solutions for a Biochemistry Project

What are some common types of attachment solutions used in biochemistry projects?

Common attachment solutions in biochemistry include covalent bonding, non-covalent interactions (like hydrogen bonds, ionic bonds, and van der Waals forces), affinity tags, and bio-conjugation techniques. These methods help in attaching biomolecules to surfaces or other molecules for various applications such as assays, diagnostics, and therapeutic development.

How do I choose the right attachment method for my biochemistry project?

Choosing the right attachment method depends on several factors including the nature of the biomolecules involved, the stability required, the sensitivity of the application, and the specific experimental conditions. It is important to consider the compatibility of the attachment method with the biological activity of the molecules, as well as the ease of implementation and scalability.

What are the challenges in developing innovative attachment solutions in biochemistry?

Challenges include ensuring the stability and activity of the attached biomolecules, achieving specificity and selectivity in attachment, minimizing non-specific binding, and maintaining the integrity of the biological system. Additionally, developing scalable and reproducible methods that can be easily integrated into existing workflows can be difficult.

Can you provide examples of innovative attachment solutions currently being researched?

Innovative attachment solutions being researched include the use of click chemistry for bioconjugation, development of novel affinity tags and linkers, surface modification techniques using nanomaterials, and the use of engineered proteins or peptides for specific and stable attachment. These approaches aim to improve efficiency, specificity, and functionality of the attachment process.

How can attachment solutions impact the outcomes of biochemistry projects?

Effective attachment solutions can significantly enhance the sensitivity, specificity, and reproducibility of biochemistry experiments. They can improve the performance of assays, enable the development of new diagnostic tools, facilitate the study of complex biological interactions, and contribute to the creation of advanced therapeutic strategies. Poor attachment solutions, on the other hand, can lead to inconsistent results and limited applicability.

Back