Send Radio Signals to Other Stars: Accounting for Arrival

• Thread starter kindaroomy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, the conversation discusses the considerations that must be taken into account when sending a radio signal to another star. It is mentioned that using a parabolic dish would require accounting for the star's movement, while using just an antenna would not. The conversation also mentions that even with a parabolic dish, the radio waves will still spread out in space. The topic of the first organized message sent into space, the Arecibo Message, is brought up and it is noted that the stars it was aimed at will have moved by the time the message reaches its destination.
kindaroomy
If I wanted to send a radio signal to another star, shouldn’t I have to account for where the star will be when the message arrives?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
kindaroomy said:
If I wanted to send a radio signal to another star, shouldn’t I have to account for where the star will be when the message arrives?
If you send it with a parabolic dish, yes, but if you send it in a way that is not as directional (just an antenna, for example) no.

just a quck folow up question russ, wouldn't the parabolic dish still not make much of a difference? i mean, the radio waves should still spead out enough thoughout space right? unless one was trying to reach Mars. but Alpha-Centari should just be "There it is. Point and shoot!" right"

Yes, the stars we can see with the naked eye don't move much and it is difficult to get a very tight beam of radio waves. Heck, Mars doesn't even move much in the few minutes it takes for a signal to reach it.

I was reading up on the first organized message sent into space, the Arecibo Message. It was sent to Messier 13 some 26,000 ly away. I am guessing under this scenario you'd have to account for movement, as the stars can orbit around the galaxy quite a bit in 26,000 years. Or would this message still be broad enough to cover it?

FAQ: Send Radio Signals to Other Stars: Accounting for Arrival

What is the purpose of sending radio signals to other stars?

The purpose of sending radio signals to other stars is to potentially communicate with intelligent extraterrestrial life forms and to expand our understanding of the universe.

How are radio signals sent to other stars?

Radio signals are sent to other stars using powerful transmitters and antennas, which emit electromagnetic waves that travel through space at the speed of light.

How long does it take for radio signals to reach other stars?

The amount of time it takes for radio signals to reach other stars depends on the distance between Earth and the target star. For example, it takes about 4.2 years for a radio signal to reach the nearest star, Proxima Centauri, which is about 4.2 light-years away.

What factors must be considered when sending radio signals to other stars?

When sending radio signals to other stars, scientists must consider factors such as the distance to the target star, the strength and direction of the signal, the potential for interference, and the time it will take for a response to be received.

What are the potential ethical implications of sending radio signals to other stars?

Sending radio signals to other stars raises ethical concerns, such as the potential for inadvertently causing harm to any potential extraterrestrial life forms that may receive the signal. It also raises questions about the responsibility of humans to represent humanity as a whole, and the potential consequences of making our presence known to potentially advanced civilizations.