Separation of variables and the chain rule

Martyn Arthur
TL;DR Summary
Application of chain rule
Hi; given the equation ydy/dx=x^2 how is the chain rule applied to result in ydy =x^2dx?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What I know is that is a 1st order ODE can be solved by 'Seperating the Variables' method. So, #ydy=x^2dx# just take the integral of both side.

Is that what you meant in the OP?

sorry no; I don't understand the actual application of the chain rule to produce the result

Ok, I believe the experts are coming along to help out.

Martyn Arthur said:
TL;DR Summary: Application of chain rule

Hi; given the equation ydy/dx=x^2 how is the chain rule applied to result in ydy =x^2dx?
Thanks
That's not the chain rule. That's the defining property of the differentials ##dx## and ##dy##.

Likes bhobba and DeBangis21
You could use the chain rule as follows:
$$\frac d {dx}\big (y^2\big ) = 2y \frac{dy}{dx} = 2x^2$$$$\implies y^2 = \int 2x^2 dx$$

Likes bhobba and bob012345
[tex]\begin{split}
y\frac{dy}{dx} &= x^2 \\
\int y\frac{dy}{dx} \,dx &= \int x^2 \,dx \end{split}[/tex] The left hand side can be integrated by substitution, also known as the "!inverse chain rule" since [tex]
\int_a^b g'(f(x))f'(x)\,dx = \int_a^b (g \circ f)'(x) \,dx = g(f(b)) - g(f(a)) = \int_{f(a)}^{f(b)} g'(y)\,dy[/tex] by the chain rule and the fundamental theorem.

Likes bob012345, PhDeezNutz and DeBangis21
Martyn Arthur said:
No chain rule at all -- what they did was to multiply both sides of the equation by dx.

Likes bhobba and DeBangis21
ah; thanks