Sexagisimal and centisimal system

• MHB
  • Thread starter Drain Brain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the conversation discusses two problems related to angles and unit conversions. The first problem asks to prove the ratio of sexagesimal minutes to centesimal minutes in any angle is 27:50. The second problem asks to divide a given angle into two parts such that the number of sexagesimal seconds in one part is equal to the number of centesimal seconds in the other part. To solve these problems, one needs to understand the concept of unit conversion and express the given quantities as fractions of the right angle.
Drain Brain
please give me some tips on to start solving the ff:

1. Prove that the number of Sexagisimal minutes in any angle is to the number of Centesimal minutes in the same angle as 27:50.

2. Divide $44^{\circ}\,8^{'} $into two parts such that the number of Seagesimal seconds in one part may be equal to the number of Centesimal seconds in the other part.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Drain Brain said:
1. Prove that the number of Sexagisimal minutes in any angle is to the number of Centesimal minutes in the same angle as 27:50.
Unfortunately, this problem is ambiguous. This statement may mean that a certain angle is expressed as

$x^\circ\,y'\,z''$ using degrees and sexagesimal minutes and seconds

and as

$u^g\,v'\,w''$ using grades and centesimal minutes and seconds,

then $y'/v'=27/50$. But this is not what it means. It means that if an angle is expressed entirely in sexagesimal seconds (e.g., 1234 seconds) and entirely in centesimal seconds, the ratio of those numbers is $27:50$.

Fortunately, the second meaning is easier to prove. For example, a centimeter is 1/100 of a meter, so a certain length expressed in centimeters is 100 times (which is the inverse of 1/100) the same length expressed in meters. Similarly, it is sufficient to show that the ratio of sexagesimal second to centesimal second is $50:27$. This can be done by expressing both quantities as fractions of the right angle.

I'm still confused about it. :(

Why did you change it to the ratio of Sexagesimal second to Centesimal second?

Last edited:
Drain Brain said:
Why did you change it to the ratio of Sexagesimal second to Centesimal second?
I gave an example of centimeters and meters.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
For example, a centimeter is 1/100 of a meter, so a certain length expressed in centimeters is 100 times (which is the inverse of 1/100) the same length expressed in meters.
If one unit of measure is $n$ times larger than another unit of measure, then the number of times the first unit fits in a certain magnitude is $n$ times fewer than the number of times the second unit fits into the same magnitude. Since the first unit is larger, it fits fewer times. For example, a yard equals three feet, so if a field is 100 yards long, then it is 300 feet long. Larger units — fewer units and vice versa. More precisely, the ratio of the number of yards to the number of feet that fit into a certain length is inverse to the ratio of a yard to a foot. Thus, 100 (yards) / 300 (feet) = 1 / (yard / foot). If a unit increases $n$ times (e.g., 3 times increase from a foot to a yard), the measure of a magnitude decreases $n$ times (was: 300 feet, now: 100 yards). That's why
\begin{align*}
&\frac{\text{the number of times a sexagesimal minute fits in an angle}}
{\text{the number of times a centesimal minute fits in an angle}}\\
&\quad=\frac{\text{centesimal minute}}{\text{sexagesimal minute}}\\
&\quad=\frac{27}{50}\qquad\text{(you need to show this).}
\end{align*}

For the second problem, let's denote $n$ centesimal seconds by $n^{\prime\prime c}$ and $n$ sexagesimal seconds by $n^{\prime\prime s}$, and similarly for minutes. First you need to find the ratio of a centesimal second to a sexagesimal second. Suppose this ratio is $r$:
\[
\frac{1^{\prime\prime c}}{1^{\prime\prime s}}=r.
\]
Then $1^{\prime\prime c}=r\cdot 1^{\prime\prime s}$. According to the assumption, $n$ sexagesimal seconds plus $n$ centesimal seconds equal $44^\circ\,8^{\prime s}$. Convert the latter angle to sexagesimal seconds; suppose the result is $m^{\prime\prime s}$. Then
\[
n^{\prime\prime s}+n^{\prime\prime c}=
n^{\prime\prime s}+r\cdot n^{\prime\prime s}=
(1+r)n^{\prime\prime s}=m^{\prime\prime s}.
\]
Solving this equation for $n$ gives you the number of sexagesimal seconds in one part and the number of centesimal seconds in the other part.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
I gave an example of centimeters and meters.

$\begin{align*}
&\frac{\text{the number of times a sexagesimal minute fits in an angle}}
{\text{the number of times a centesimal minute fits in an angle}}\\
&\quad=\frac{\text{centesimal minute}}{\text{sexagesimal minute}}\\
&\quad=\frac{27}{50}\qquad\text{(you need to show this).}
\end{align*}$

do I need to use actual number here to prove that that is the case? How do I show it? please bear with me.

Drain Brain said:
do I need to use actual number here to prove that that is the case?
I am not sure I understand the question. Which number: $27/50$? If you don't use this number, then what are you proving?

Drain Brain said:
How do I show it?
As I wrote in post #2,

Evgeny.Makarov said:
This can be done by expressing both quantities as fractions of the right angle.
How many degrees are there in the right angle? How many sexagesimal minutes are in one degree? Therefore, how many minutes are there in the right angle? Then answer similar questions about grades and centesimal minutes.

$90^{\circ}\cdot \frac{60^{'}}{1^{\circ}}=5400^{'}$

and

$100^{g}\cdot \frac{100^{'}}{1^g}=10,000^{'}$

then,

$\frac{5400}{10,000}=\frac{27}{50}$

Am I correct?can you provide another way of doing it. thanks!

Yes, this is correct. It's important to understand, though, whether this is the ratio of a centesimal minute to a sexagesimal one or vice versa. Intuitively, a centesimal minute is smaller, so it's the former. More precisely, a centesimal minute is $1/10\,000$th of the right angle and a sexagesimal minute is $1/5\,400$th of the right angle, so the ratio of centesimal to sexagesimal is
\[
\frac{1/10\,000}{1/5\,400}=\frac{5\,400}{10\,000}=\frac{27}{50}.
\]

Related to Sexagisimal and centisimal system

1. What is the Sexagisimal and Centisimal system?

The Sexagisimal and Centisimal system is a system of measurement used in ancient Mesopotamia to measure time and angles. It is based on the number 60, which was considered a sacred number by the ancient Mesopotamians.

2. How does the Sexagisimal and Centisimal system differ from the modern decimal system?

The Sexagisimal and Centisimal system is based on the number 60, while the modern decimal system is based on the number 10. This means that in the Sexagisimal system, there are 60 units in each higher unit, while in the decimal system, there are only 10 units in each higher unit.

3. What are some examples of how the Sexagisimal and Centisimal system was used?

The Sexagisimal and Centisimal system was used to measure time, angles, and geographic coordinates in ancient Mesopotamia. For example, an hour was divided into 60 minutes and a circle was divided into 360 degrees, with each degree being further divided into 60 minutes.

4. Why was the number 60 chosen as the base for the Sexagisimal and Centisimal system?

The number 60 was chosen as the base for the Sexagisimal and Centisimal system because it has many divisors, making it a convenient number for calculations. It was also seen as a sacred number in ancient Mesopotamia.

5. Is the Sexagisimal and Centisimal system still used today?

While the Sexagisimal and Centisimal system is no longer widely used, some remnants of it can still be found in modern society. For example, we still use a system of 60 seconds in a minute and 60 minutes in an hour, and the division of a circle into 360 degrees is still commonly used in geography and navigation.

Back