Show a second angular speed given a reduced radius

In summary, the problem involved a particle moving in a circle with a given radius and angular speed. The string was then shortened, causing a change in the angular speed. Using the conservation of angular momentum, it was shown that the new angular speed is 1.18 rad/s. There was some discrepancy due to rounding of initial values, but overall the calculation was correct.
littlemayhem

Homework Statement

A particle on a string at radius r=0.22m is moving in a (horizontal) circle with angular speed [itex]\omega[/itex] =0.55 rad/s. The string is shortened to 0.15m. Show that the new angular speed is 1.18rad/s

Homework Equations

v = r[itex]\omega[/itex]
a = [itex]\omega^{2}r[/itex]
a = r[itex]\alpha[/itex]
[itex]\omega^{2}_f = \omega^{2}_{i} + 2 \theta\alpha[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay. At first I thought this is really simple, which means I'm missing something. I assumed that there was no acceleration, and velocity was constant, but that can't be the case.

I tried r[itex]_{i}[/itex] * [itex]\omega_{i}[/itex] = 0.121
and then tried
r[itex]_{f}[/itex] * [itex]\omega_{f}[/itex] = 0.177

Which clearly isn't right for constant velocity - there must be acceleration, but I don't know over what period the acceleration occurs. I've looked at the kinematics equations for angular motion, but they either involve time or theta, variables not mentioned.

I know it says speed, but I'm presuming it means acceleration - and vectors aren't really relevant in this case, anyway, since there's no change of direction.

The only thing I can think is that we're supposed to work backwards, knowing that the acceleration is from 0.55 to 1.18 rad, but I don't know how to work that out in rad/s[itex]^{2}[/itex], because that involves time.

I just want a way to approach the problem. We're studying moments of inertia mainly, I'm also thinking I might just be looking at this the wrong way, but I'm not sure. Any guidance would be appreciated - I really want to have a clear understanding from my own workings.

Physics news on Phys.org
littlemayhem said:
I just want a way to approach the problem.
Try the conservation of angular momentum.

Thank you!

Okay:

L = r x p = r p sin [itex]\theta[/itex] where sin 90 = 1 so

L = rp & p=mv so

L = rmv and v = [itex]\omega[/itex]r so

L = r[itex]^{2}[/itex]m[itex]\omega[/itex]

if we equate {r[itex]^{2}[/itex]m[itex]\omega[/itex]}[itex]_{initial}[/itex] and {r[itex]^{2}[/itex]m[itex]\omega[/itex]}[itex]_{final}[/itex] and cancel the mass (which stays the same), we get

[itex]r^{2}_i * \omega_i = r^{2}_f * \omega_f [/itex]

with the values included, we have

0.22 * 0.22 * 0.55 = 0.15 * 0.15 * 1.18

which equal 0.02662 and 0.02655 respectively.

I suppose that the small difference is attributable to the fact that the initial values were given only to two decimal places, and thus that my calculation is correct?

Nice work. Looks good to me.
[tex]\omega _f = \omega _i \frac{{r_i^2 }}{{r_f^2 }} = 0.55\frac{{0.22^2 }}{{0.15^2 }} = 1.18{\rm{rad}} \cdot {\rm{s}}^{ - 1}[/tex]

As a scientist, it is important to approach problems with a clear and logical mindset. In this scenario, the key is to understand the relationship between angular speed, radius, and acceleration.

First, let's define some variables:

r1 = initial radius (0.22m)
r2 = final radius (0.15m)
ω1 = initial angular speed (0.55 rad/s)
ω2 = final angular speed (to be determined)

We know that the velocity of an object moving in a circular path is given by v = rω. Using this equation, we can determine the initial and final velocities of the particle:

v1 = r1ω1 = (0.22m)(0.55 rad/s) = 0.121 m/s
v2 = r2ω2 = (0.15m)(ω2)

Next, we can use the fact that acceleration is given by a = ω^2r to determine the acceleration of the particle at both radii.

a1 = ω1^2r1 = (0.55 rad/s)^2(0.22m) = 0.0673 m/s^2
a2 = ω2^2r2 = (ω2)^2(0.15m)

Now, we can use the kinematic equation a = rα to relate the two accelerations. Since the radius is changing, the acceleration must also change. We can set these two equations equal to each other and solve for α:

a1 = a2
ω1^2r1 = ω2^2r2
(0.55 rad/s)^2(0.22m) = (ω2)^2(0.15m)
ω2 = √[(0.55 rad/s)^2(0.22m)/(0.15m)] = 1.18 rad/s

Therefore, the new angular speed of the particle is 1.18 rad/s when the radius is reduced to 0.15m. This approach uses the relationships between angular speed, radius, velocity, and acceleration to solve the problem without needing to know the time or angle of the acceleration.

FAQ: Show a second angular speed given a reduced radius

What is angular speed?

Angular speed is a measure of how fast an object is rotating or moving in a circular motion. It is typically measured in radians per second.

How is angular speed different from linear speed?

Angular speed measures the rate of angular displacement, while linear speed measures the rate of linear displacement. In other words, angular speed is how fast an object is rotating, while linear speed is how fast an object is moving in a straight line.

What is reduced radius?

Reduced radius is a term used to describe the distance from the center of a circle to a point on the circle's circumference. It is typically denoted as "r" in mathematical equations.

How is angular speed related to reduced radius?

Angular speed and reduced radius are inversely proportional. This means that as the reduced radius decreases, the angular speed increases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation ω = v/r, where ω is angular speed, v is linear speed, and r is reduced radius.

How do you calculate a second angular speed given a reduced radius?

To calculate a second angular speed, you can use the equation ω2 = ω1 * (r1/r2), where ω1 is the initial angular speed, r1 is the initial reduced radius, and r2 is the new reduced radius. This equation uses the inverse relationship between angular speed and reduced radius to determine the new angular speed.

Back