Signal integration over ns time period

In summary, a Boxcar amplifier can be used to integrate a voltage signal with a time gate. The gate is triggered by a periodic signal, and the output signal is integrated over a time interval.
MAAB
Hello,

I have voltage signal that is time gated up to ns. I want to integrate this signal over this time interval, how one can do this and which device can be used for that.

Regards
MAAP

Physics news on Phys.org
Boxcar amplifier is gating and integrating the signal, and I need only to integrate it!

Sorry for the short answer above - I was on the run.

Can you describe your application in a bit more detail? Is the signal periodic? Where does the gate or trigger come from? What do you want to do with the output signal? Do you want to integrate your voltage from a start to a stop trigger, and at the stop transfer the result to an ADC or similar?

sorry I was out of office
The signal is an output from MCP detector which measure the time of flight of the photoelectrons that are liberated from the atoms. So the gate is a short interval of the measured time of flight. actually I have two detector on the right and left and I want to get information about the asymmetry between the time of flight spectra. I don't want to transfer the result to ADC, but i will use it to measure the CEP (carrier envelope phase) of the laser pulse.

the signal has a frequency of 3.3kHz, I hope I answered your questions.

Thanks, that makes it pretty clear.

If the most important information is the delay between two pulses, then you probably want a constant fraction discriminator. We use Ortec 935 with avalanche photo diodes for timing experiments with single x-ray photons.

http://www.ortec-online.com/download/935.pdf

We used the output of the CFD as start pulse for a TDC and the periodic (352 MHz) "bunch clock" as stop, then fed the digitized time signal into a histogram memory to get a time spectrum of our photons.

These days you can get multi-channel scalers (MCS) e.g. from FAST, Ortec, and a few others that take the start and stop pulses and directly produce the histogram/time spectrum.

Thank you very much, It seems that it will work with your solution.

My pleasure. Let me know when you get results :-)

for sure :-)

Related to Signal integration over ns time period

1. What is signal integration over ns time period?

Signal integration over ns (nanosecond) time period is the process of combining multiple signals over a specific time interval in order to obtain a more accurate and reliable measurement or analysis. This is commonly done in fields such as electronics, physics, and biology.

2. How is signal integration over ns time period different from regular signal integration?

The main difference between signal integration over ns time period and regular signal integration is the time interval being considered. Regular signal integration involves combining signals over a longer time period, such as milliseconds or seconds, while signal integration over ns time period focuses on a much shorter time interval of nanoseconds.

3. What are the benefits of signal integration over ns time period?

Signal integration over ns time period allows for the detection and analysis of signals that occur in very short time frames. This can provide more precise measurements and insights into complex systems or processes. It also helps to filter out any noise or interference that may occur over longer time intervals.

4. How is signal integration over ns time period used in scientific research?

Signal integration over ns time period is commonly used in various fields of scientific research, such as in the study of electrical circuits, chemical reactions, and biological processes. It can help to analyze and understand the dynamics of these systems at a much finer level of detail.

5. What are some techniques used for signal integration over ns time period?

Some techniques commonly used for signal integration over ns time period include time-domain integration, frequency-domain integration, and charge-sensitive amplification. These techniques involve using specialized equipment and algorithms to accurately measure and integrate signals over a nanosecond time period.