Significant Figures in Average Velocity Calculation

In summary, the average velocity of the rocket is 110 m/s with 3 significant figures, and the average velocity of the object is 8.0 m/s with 2 significant figures.
michaelplease

Homework Statement

A rocket traveling at 88 m/s is accelerated uniformly to 132 m/s over a 15.0 second interval. What is its average velocity, with the correct number of significant figures?

An object traveling at 11.5 m/s is decelerated uniformly to 4.5 m/s. What is its average velocity, with the correct number of significant figures?

Homework Equations

v_av=(v_f+v_i)/2

The Attempt at a Solution

1. v_av = (132 m/s + 88 m/s) / 2
= (2.20 * 10^2 m/s) / 2
= 1.10 * 10^2 m/s

After adding the 132 m/s + 88 m/s, would it have 3 significant figures or only 2? It ends in a 0 but I think logically it should still have 3 significant figures, as if you add only 1 m/s to either 132 or 88 you would obviously get 3 significant figures.

Then after dividing it by 2, would one keep the same number of significant figures as v_i + v_f ? or the same decimal places? or the same significant figures or decimal places as v_i or v_f?

2. v_av = (4.5 m/s + 11.5 m/s) / 2
= (16.0 m/s) / 2
= 8.00 m/s

Again, after adding v_i and v_f it ends in a 0. So I imagine it should be 16.0 m/s.

Then when you divide it by 2, would the v_av keep the 3 significant figures, since it is dividing? Or would it have only two, to keep the same decimal places as 16.0 and/or the same sig figs and decimal places as 4.5?

Please help me with this problem and explain to me why that is the correct number of significant figures.

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, logically the first part has 3 sig figs, but part 2 has just 2 (16.0/2 =8.0), accurate to one figure after the decimal point.

FAQ: Significant Figures in Average Velocity Calculation

1. What are significant figures in average velocity calculation?

Significant figures refer to the digits in a number that are important and contribute to the precision of the measurement. In average velocity calculation, significant figures indicate the level of accuracy in the final result.

2. How are significant figures determined in average velocity calculation?

The general rule for determining significant figures in average velocity calculation is to count all non-zero digits and any zeros between non-zero digits. Trailing zeros after the decimal point are also considered significant. Leading zeros and trailing zeros before a decimal point are not significant and can be dropped.

3. Why are significant figures important in average velocity calculation?

Significant figures are important in average velocity calculation because they indicate the precision and accuracy of the final result. Including too many or too few significant figures can lead to an incorrect or misleading calculation.

4. How do you round the final result in average velocity calculation to the correct number of significant figures?

To round the final result in average velocity calculation, determine the digit in the last significant figure and then look at the next digit. If the next digit is 5 or higher, round up the last significant figure. If the next digit is less than 5, leave the last significant figure unchanged. If the next digit is exactly 5, round the last significant figure up if it is odd, and leave it unchanged if it is even.

5. Can significant figures affect the precision of an average velocity calculation?

Yes, significant figures can affect the precision of an average velocity calculation. Including too few significant figures can result in a less precise calculation, while including too many significant figures can give the false impression of a highly precise calculation. It is important to use the appropriate number of significant figures to accurately represent the precision of the calculation.