Simpleton question about superstrings

• Thread starter risingphoenix
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses various topics in the field of physics, including quantum physics, superstrings, and the relationship between fundamental physics and the patterns found in nature. The question focuses on the energy source that causes superstrings to vibrate and how the Fibonacci numbers and golden ratio relate to the subatomic make-up of the natural world. The response suggests that these connections are not yet understood in terms of fundamental physics, but there is potential for future advancements in the field.
risingphoenix
I apologize in advance- I'm not gifted in the area of science- but I do enjoy reading about quantum physics, superstrings, GUT, etc. So this question is "sub-elementary"- but I can't find an explanation.

Okay- superstrings "vibrate"- all at their own unique vibrational speed? What's the energy source that causes them to vibrate at whatever level? Is it one of the 4 universal forces, or a combo of them?

And on a sidetrack- if superstrings also comprise atoms and living things and nature- how does the order of nature, i.e., the Fibonacci numbers, and the golden ratio relate to the subatomic make-up of the natural world?

Physics news on Phys.org
The ubiquity of fibonacci numbers and the golden ratio in patterns we see in the natural world is not at this stage understood in terms of fundamental physics. Heres a quote from Richard Feynman :

The next great awakening of the human intellect may well produce a method of understanding the qualitative content of equations.Today we cannot. Today we cannot see that the water flow equations contain such things as the barber pole structure of turbulence that one sees between rotating cylinders. Today we cannot see whether Schrödinger's equation contains frogs, musical composers, or morality—or whether it does not.

I appreciate your curiosity and interest in complex scientific concepts such as quantum physics and superstrings. To answer your first question, the energy source that causes superstrings to vibrate at different speeds is still a subject of ongoing research and debate. Some theories suggest that it could be a combination of the four fundamental forces of nature (gravity, electromagnetism, strong and weak nuclear forces), while others propose the existence of additional forces or dimensions that influence the vibrations of superstrings.

As for your second question, the relationship between the order of nature (such as Fibonacci numbers and the golden ratio) and the subatomic makeup of the natural world is also a topic of scientific exploration. Some theories suggest that the underlying structure of the universe, including the arrangement of subatomic particles, is based on mathematical principles and patterns like the Fibonacci sequence and the golden ratio. However, this is still a subject of ongoing research and there is no definitive answer yet.

Overall, the study of superstrings and their role in the natural world is a complex and ongoing area of research in physics. As scientists, we continue to explore and try to understand these concepts in order to gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental building blocks of our universe. I hope this helps to answer your questions and I encourage you to continue learning and exploring the fascinating world of science.

FAQ: Simpleton question about superstrings

1. What are superstrings?

Superstrings are a theoretical concept in physics that describe the smallest building blocks of the universe. They are believed to be one-dimensional strings that vibrate at different frequencies, giving rise to the different particles and forces in our universe.

2. How are superstrings related to the theory of everything?

The theory of everything is a theoretical framework that aims to unify all the fundamental forces of nature. Superstrings are a key component of this theory, as they provide a way to unify the forces of gravity and quantum mechanics.

3. Can superstrings be observed or tested?

At this time, there is no experimental evidence for the existence of superstrings. They are currently only a theoretical concept, and it is not yet possible to directly observe or test them.

4. What is the significance of superstrings?

If proven to be true, superstrings could provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental forces and particles in our universe. They could also potentially lead to new technologies and advancements in physics.

5. Are there any controversies surrounding the concept of superstrings?

As with any scientific theory, there are ongoing debates and controversies surrounding the concept of superstrings. Some physicists argue that it is too complex and lacks experimental evidence, while others believe it is a promising avenue for further exploration and understanding of the universe.

Back