Solar tracking system for solar panel

In summary, this system is designed to keep a solar panel in line with the sun. It uses a pointing system and photocells to keep track of the sun.
Diego Quexada
Hi everyone i am working on a solar tracking system for a.solar panel that i made wheighting about 30kg , i was wondering where to start looking for books where they may give examples of.such devices with mechanisms and control theory or if.by any chance you have knowledge on the subject and could give me.any advise, that would be awesome:)
Pd : please excuse my grammar.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Diego Quexada said:
Hi everyone i am working on a solar tracking system for a.solar panel that i made wheighting about 30kg , i was wondering where to start looking for books where they may give examples of.such devices with mechanisms and control theory or if.by any chance you have knowledge on the subject and could give me.any advise, that would be awesome:)
Pd : please excuse my grammar.
I like the concept. Is this system already in use or is it your own unique idea?

I have only seen on youtube a company called sedona solar technology make tracking systems that claim to increase by 40% the efficiency. I would like to do something similar and even try things like cooling methods.

Easiest way is to get data for sun's traverse at different times of year for your GPS location and preset motion control system to track .

Here is a home-built solar tracking system which achieves what you're looking for I think: http://www.instructables.com/id/Solar-Tracker-in-the-Internet-Cloud/
FL0954NHHTE0PGU.LARGE.jpg

Alternatively, this is kind of a cool tracking system which uses 4 light detectors and a pointing system, so it constantly tries to point at the brightest point in the sky (the sun) rather than calculate where the sun will be: http://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-Solar-Tracker/

Likes Diego Quexada
Think of a four-sided pyramid. Place it on the solar panel so the edges of the pyramid are parallel to the rotation axiis of the positioner. i.e. the 'top' and 'bottom' sides would be parallel the the Elevation axis. Place a small photosensor on each pyramid face. When the 'top' and 'bottom' sensors have equal output, the Elevation is correct. The same for holds for the Azimuth sensing. As long as the pyramid maintains its orientation relative to the solar panel, it doesn't have to be physically on the solar panel, just attached to the same moving platform. The actual control circuitry can be either analog or digital, whichever is more convenient for you.

Likes Diego Quexada
My friend Al Nichols built a simple and efficient solar tracking system from a photocell and uses it to keep his solar over in line with the sun.
Here is Al's site: http://www.alnichols.com/

Steven Tyminski said:
Al Nichols built a simple and efficient solar tracking system from a photocell
Any details available? I couldn't find any info on his website.

Please contact Al Nichols directly.
He used to have full plans for the cooker on his site.
The thing could cook a 20 pound turkey in 4 hours on sun power alone.

Related to Solar tracking system for solar panel

1. What is a solar tracking system for solar panels?

A solar tracking system for solar panels is a device that allows solar panels to follow the movement of the sun throughout the day to maximize their exposure to sunlight. This improves the efficiency of the solar panels and increases their energy production.

2. How does a solar tracking system work?

A solar tracking system uses sensors and motors to orient the solar panels towards the sun's position in the sky. The sensors gather data on the sun's movement and send signals to the motors, which adjust the position of the solar panels accordingly.

3. What are the benefits of using a solar tracking system?

The main benefit of using a solar tracking system is increased energy production. By following the sun's movement, the solar panels are able to capture more sunlight and convert it into electricity. This can result in a higher return on investment for solar panel owners.

4. Are there different types of solar tracking systems?

Yes, there are two main types of solar tracking systems: single-axis and dual-axis. Single-axis systems track the sun's movement from east to west, while dual-axis systems also adjust for the sun's height in the sky. There are also different designs and technologies used in solar tracking systems, such as passive and active tracking.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using a solar tracking system?

The main drawback of using a solar tracking system is the increased cost and complexity compared to fixed solar panels. The additional components and maintenance required for a solar tracking system can also lead to higher maintenance costs. Additionally, the added movement of the solar panels may also increase the risk of mechanical failures.