Solid bounded by the cylinder (y^2) + (z^2) = 1 , cut by pla

In summary, the problem asks to evaluate ∫ ∫ ∫ zDv for the solid bounded by the cylinder (y^2) + (z^2) = 1, cut by the planes y = x, x = 0, and z = 0. The solid is only in the first octant, with a triangular base and the curved part of the cylinder as the top. The integral should be set up in cylindrical coordinates using r, θ, and z. Projecting the solid to the y-z plane is not necessary.
chetzread

Homework Statement

By using cylindrical coordinate , evaluate ∫ ∫ ∫ zDv , where G is the solid bounded by the cylinder (y^2) + (z^2) = 1 , cut by plane of y = x , x = 0 and z = 0

I can understand that the solid formed , was cut by x = 0 , thus the base of the solid formed has circle of (y^2) + (z^2) = 1 as base …
The solid formed also cut at z= 0 , does it mean that the sold formed has a base of circle from 0 to π only ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 2530.jpg
    2530.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 510
Physics news on Phys.org
chetzread said:

Homework Statement

By using cylindrical coordinate , evaluate ∫ ∫ ∫ zDv , where G is the solid bounded by the cylinder (y^2) + (z^2) = 1 , cut by plane of y = x , x = 0 and z = 0

I can understand that the solid formed , was cut by x = 0 , thus the base of the solid formed has circle of (y^2) + (z^2) = 1 as base …
The solid formed also cut at z= 0 , does it mean that the sold formed has a base of circle from 0 to π only ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Your sketch of the region G is not very helpful in seeing what the shape looks like.
chetzread said:
does it mean that the sold formed has a base of circle from 0 to π only ?
No. The solid region G is only in the first octant. When you say "from 0 to π only" which angle coordinate do you mean, ##\theta## or ##\phi##?

Mark44 said:
Your sketch of the region G is not very helpful in seeing what the shape looks like.
No. The solid region G is only in the first octant. When you say "from 0 to π only" which angle coordinate do you mean, ##\theta## or ##\phi##?
why the solid region G is only in the first octant ? i can't visualise it . Can you explain ?

chetzread said:
why the solid region G is only in the first octant ? i can't visualise it . Can you explain ?
The cylinder ##y^2 + z^2 = 1## has its central axis along the x-axis. The bounding planes are x = 0 (the y-z plane), z = 0 (the x-y plane) and the plane y = x. For this last plane draw the line y = x in the x-y plane, and then extend the line up, keeping it parallel to the original line.

Your sketch wasn't detailed enough to do much good (the cylinder should be shown larger), plus you had you axes labeled in an unusual way. That might be throwing you off.

Likes chetzread
Mark44 said:
For this last plane draw the line y = x in the x-y plane, and then extend the line up, keeping it parallel to the original line.
from my sketch of diagram , i found that my xy-pane and plane y = x are actually the same plane , so i couldn't imagine the solid formed... what i have in mind now is the y=x plane and the base with circle radius = 1 only ...

See if this picture helps you:
wedge.jpg

LCKurtz said:
View attachment 108034
thanks for the digram , but , why the y = x plane is limited to first quadrant only ? it can be drawn to up to the plane of postive x and negative y direction , right ?

LCKurtz said:
View attachment 108034
shouldnt the solid formed look like this ?

Attachments

• wedge.jpg
    wedge.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 368
chetzread said:
shouldnt the solid formed look like this ?
No.
The base of the solid is a triangle. The back side of the solid is the plane x = 0. The front of the solid is the plane y = x. The top is the curved part of the cylinder. The solid itself looks something like half of an orange segment.

Likes chetzread
Mark44 said:
No.
The base of the solid is a triangle. The back side of the solid is the plane x = 0. The front of the solid is the plane y = x. The top is the curved part of the cylinder. The solid itself looks something like half of an orange segment.
Why the plane y =x is limited to first octant only ? Can't it be stretched until negative x and y axis?

Mark44 said:
No.
ok , so the limit is
## \int_{0}^{0.5\pi} \int_{0}^1 z \, dx \, rdrd\theta## ?'
if so , then my ans is -1/8 ...Did my ans match yours?

chetzread said:
ok , so the limit is
The answer shouldn't be negative, and you're supposed to set up an integral usingcylindrical coordinates: r ##\theta##, and z.

Mark44 said:
The answer shouldn't be negative, and you're supposed to set up an integral usingcylindrical coordinates: r ##\theta##, and z.
since i project the solid to zy plane , so the third integral should be dx , am i right ?

chetzread said:
since i project the solid to zy plane , so the third integral should be dx , am i right ?
No. Neither x nor y should appear in your integral. Also, I don't know why you think you need to project the solid to the y-z plane.

Likes chetzread
Mark44 said:
No. Neither x nor y should appear in your integral. Also, I don't know why you think you need to project the solid to the y-z plane.

I project the solid to the y-z plane so that i could use cylindrical coordinate solve the problem , btw when i project it to zy plane , here's what i gt ...
i change z and y to the terms in cylindrical coordinate , the original question is find ∫ ∫ ∫ zDv

Attachments

• 407.jpg
    407.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 369
chetzread said:
I project the solid to the y-z plane so that i could use cylindrical coordinate solve the problem , btw when i project it to zy plane , here's what i gt ...
i change z and y to the terms in cylindrical coordinate , the original question is find ∫ ∫ ∫ zDv
That's not right. In cylindrical coordinates, ##\theta## is an angle in the x-y plane, not in the y-z plane. You need to look at what's going on in the x-y plane.

Likes chetzread
Mark44 said:
That's not right. In cylindrical coordinates, ##\theta## is an angle in the x-y plane, not in the y-z plane. You need to look at what's going on in the x-y plane.
Then , it's not possible to use cylindrical coordinate in this question ?

Mark44 said:
IMO , the zy plane also can use cylindrical , as long as lines on any 2 axis can form a circle , then we can use cylindrical coordinate

chetzread said:
IMO , the zy plane also can use cylindrical , as long as lines on any 2 axis can form a circle , then we can use cylindrical coordinate
I don't know why you would want to do that. Cartesian coordinates are (x, y, z). Cylindrical coordinates are (##r, \theta, z##). If you change the axis that ##\theta## is measured from, you will need to make corresponding changes in the equation of the cylinder and the bounding planes.

Mark44 said:
I don't know why you would want to do that. Cartesian coordinates are (x, y, z). Cylindrical coordinates are (##r, \theta, z##). If you change the axis that ##\theta## is measured from, you will need to make corresponding changes in the equation of the cylinder and the bounding planes.
ya , i already make that changes in post #11 and my diagram of projection to zy-plane in post #15 , is my concept correct ?

P/s : it's clear that the circle lies on positive/negative y and z axis ... SO , i can use z = rcos theta and y = r sintheta and vice versa , right ?

chetzread said:
ya , i already make that changes in post #11 and my diagram of projection to zy-plane in post #15 , is my concept correct ?
No.

Here's what you wrote in post #11:
chetzread said:
ok , so the limit is
I already said this is wrong in post #12. For one thing, your integral has dx (shouldn't be there), dr, and ##d\theta##. For another, the integral should be a triple integral, not a double integral as you show.

Finally, no, I haven't worked the integral, but if you're calculating volume, as you are in this problem, you shouldn't get a negative number.

Likes chetzread
Mark44 said:
No.

Here's what you wrote in post #11:

I already said this is wrong in post #12. For one thing, your integral has dx (shouldn't be there), dr, and ##d\theta##. For another, the integral should be a triple integral, not a double integral as you show.

Finally, no, I haven't worked the integral, but if you're calculating volume, as you are in this problem, you shouldn't get a negative number.
since the circle lies on the zy plane , so i can change the cylindrical coordinate to ( r , θ , x ) , right ? it's just looking at the problem from another point of view , right ? ( for example when the circle lies on the xy -plane , we would use ( r , θ , z )

Sorry , after making correction , my ans ## \int_{0}^{0.5\pi} \int_{0}^1 z \, dx \, rdrd\theta## is 1/ 8

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
, your integral has dx (shouldn't be there), dr, and dθdθd\theta. For another, the integral should be a triple integral, not a double integral as you show.
dx r dr dtheta is triple integral , right ?

chetzread said:
since the circle lies on the zy plane , so i can change the cylindrical coordinate to ( r , θ , x ) , right ? it's just looking at the problem from another point of view , right ?
It's possible to do this, but as I said before, your bounding planes are going to be different. The plane y = x, in Cartesian coordinates, is ##\theta = \pi/4## in cylindrical coordinates. If you change your coordinates to (r, θ, x), then you will have a different equation for the plane y = x.
chetzread said:
( for example when the circle lies on the xy -plane , we would use ( r , θ , z )

Sorry , after making correction , my ans ## \int_{0}^{0.5\pi} \int_{0}^1 z \, dx \, rdrd\theta## is 1/ 8
This is not a triple integral.

Mark44 said:
It's possible to do this, but as I said before, your bounding planes are going to be different. The plane y = x, in Cartesian coordinates, is ##\theta = \pi/4## in cylindrical coordinates. If you change your coordinates to (r, θ, x), then you will have a different equation for the plane y = x.

This is not a triple integral.
sorry , i made the typo again . my final working is ## \int_{0}^{0.5\pi} \int_{0}^1 \int_{0}^y z \, dx \, rdrd\theta## is 1/ 8

As you can see , i use y = x for the limit...I didnt use y = x

chetzread said:
sorry , i made the typo again . my final working is ## \int_{0}^{0.5\pi} \int_{0}^1 \int_{0}^y z \, dx \, rdrd\theta## is 1/ 8

As you can see , i use y = x for the limit...I didnt use y = x
Is the answer to this problem in your book?

I don't see how you can make the integral above turn out to 1/8. Please show me your work. In this case, it's OK to take a picture of it, and add it as an attachment, provided that your work is neat enough to read.

I get 1/8 as my answer, but I didn't change the meaning of the cylindrical coordinates.

Likes chetzread
Mark44 said:

I don't see how you can make the integral above turn out to 1/8. Please show me your work. In this case, it's OK to take a picture of it, and add it as an attachment, provided that your work is neat enough to read.

I get 1/8 as my answer, but I didn't change the meaning of the cylindrical coordinates.
no , i don't have ans... I need someone to verify my answer...

Attachments

• 2366.jpg
    2366.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 334
Mark44 said:

Or do you have better way ?

chetzread said:
no , i don't have ans... I need someone to verify my answer...
Your work looks OK to me.

Here's the way I did it, without changing all the coordinates around.
The z values range from z = 0 to ##z = \sqrt{1 - y^2} = \sqrt{1 - r^2 \sin^2(\theta)}##.
The r values range from r = 0 to the line y = 1 in the x-y plane, so from r = 0 to ##r\sin(\theta) = 1##, which is equiv. to ##r = \csc(\theta)##
The ##\theta## values range from ##\pi/4## to ##\pi/2##.
The integral I start with is:
$$\int_{\theta = \pi/4}^{\pi/2} ~\int_{r = 0}^{\csc(\theta)} ~\int_{z = 0}^{\sqrt{1 - r^2 \sin^2(\theta)}}~zr~dz~dr~d\theta$$
This looks forbidding, but it's actually pretty simple, and ends up with a value of 1/8.

Likes chetzread
Mark44 said:
Your work looks OK to me.

Here's the way I did it, without changing all the coordinates around.
The z values range from z = 0 to ##z = \sqrt{1 - y^2} = \sqrt{1 - r^2 \sin^2(\theta)}##.
The r values range from r = 0 to the line y = 1 in the x-y plane, so from r = 0 to ##r\sin(\theta) = 1##, which is equiv. to ##r = \csc(\theta)##
The ##\theta## values range from ##\pi/4## to ##\pi/2##.
The integral I start with is:
$$\int_{\theta = \pi/4}^{\pi/2} ~\int_{r = 0}^{\csc(\theta)} ~\int_{z = 0}^{\sqrt{1 - r^2 \sin^2(\theta)}}~zr~dz~dr~d\theta$$
This looks forbidding, but it's actually pretty simple, and ends up with a value of 1/8.
ok , thanks for the working ... Is it wrong with my working above ? Can i do it in the way above ?

I've been away for a while and missed much of this conversation. But my opinion is that the appropriate way to do this problem is to use a yz plane version of cylindrical coordinates as has been suggested. Something like $$
y = r\cos\theta,~z = r\sin\theta,~ x = x$$

Likes chetzread
LCKurtz said:
I've been away for a while and missed much of this conversation. But my opinion is that the appropriate way to do this problem is to use a yz plane version of cylindrical coordinates as has been suggested. Something like $$
y = r\cos\theta,~z = r\sin\theta,~ x = x$$
It looks like that's what chetzread did. We both arrived at the same answer.

Likes chetzread
LCKurtz said:
I've been away for a while and missed much of this conversation. But my opinion is that the appropriate way to do this problem is to use a yz plane version of cylindrical coordinates as has been suggested. Something like ##y = r\cos\theta,~z = r\sin\theta,~ x = x##
how to determine whether y is ##r\cos\theta## or y is ##r\sin\theta##
or z is ##r\cos\theta## or z is ##r\sin\theta## ...I'm confused ... in this question ... I have zy appear in the integrand . So , i could use (r^2) (cos theta)(sin theta) .I don't know which is ##r\cos\theta## or ##r\sin\theta##

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't matter which one is the ##r\sin\theta## and which is the ##r\cos\theta##.

Likes chetzread
LCKurtz said:
It doesn't matter which one is the ##r\sin\theta## and which is the ##r\cos\theta##.
How if the case where integrand is only z or y ? how to differentiate them ?

Back