Solution Set in interval notation for inequality

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the solution set in interval notation for the equation 6x^2-2>9x. The quadratic formula is used to find the roots, which are then used to determine the excluded region in interval notation. The correct solution is expressed as (-∞, (9-√129)/12) ∪ ((9+√129)/12, ∞).
datafiend
HI all,
I have the equation, 6x^2-2>9x for which I'm to find the solution set in interval notation.

I've rewritten the inequalty as 6X^2-9x-2=0. I tried to factor, but no go. Then I used the quadratic and got 9+/- rad(129)/-18. The answers I get for x are -1.1309 and .1309. The calculator gives. -.1964 and 1.6965. Is this just some rounding error?

Thanks,

Mathematics news on Phys.org
datafiend said:
I've rewritten the inequalty as 6X^2-9x-2=0. I tried to factor, but no go. Then I used the quadratic and got 9+/- rad(129)/-18.
It should be $\dfrac{9\pm\sqrt{129}}{12}$. Your calculator is correct for approximate values.

You did well to move the $9x$ to the left so that you have:

\(\displaystyle 6x^2-9x-2>0\)

Now, observing that expression is a quadratic, and that its graph will be parabolic, we see that it is an upward opening parabola since the coefficient of the squared term is positive. Thus, the expression must be negative in between the roots. Having the correct roots of the expression now, can you state the solution in interval notation?

I think -9+/-\sqrt{129}/-12 to negative infinity/positive infinity. Basically, the area between the pos and negative is excluded. Yes?

datafiend said:
I think -9+/-\sqrt{129}/-12 to negative infinity/positive infinity. Basically, the area between the pos and negative is excluded. Yes?

The region between and including the roots is excluded because we have a strict inequality. To express this using interval notation, we would write:

\(\displaystyle \left(-\infty,\frac{9-\sqrt{129}}{12}\right)\,\bigcup\,\left(\frac{9+\sqrt{129}}{12},\infty\right)\)

FAQ: Solution Set in interval notation for inequality

1. What is a solution set in interval notation for an inequality?

A solution set in interval notation for an inequality is a way of representing all the possible values that satisfy the given inequality. It is typically written in the form [a, b], where a and b represent the lower and upper bounds of the solution set, respectively.

2. How do you determine the interval notation for a solution set?

To determine the interval notation for a solution set, you first need to solve the inequality and identify the values that satisfy it. Then, you can represent those values in either open or closed interval notation, depending on whether the endpoints are included or excluded in the solution set.

3. Can a solution set in interval notation include non-numerical values?

No, a solution set in interval notation only includes numerical values. Non-numerical values such as variables or expressions cannot be included in interval notation. They can be represented in set notation or other forms.

4. How do you graph a solution set in interval notation?

To graph a solution set in interval notation, you can plot the two endpoints of the interval on a number line and fill in the region between them. If the endpoints are included, use a closed circle to indicate that they are part of the solution set. If the endpoints are excluded, use an open circle to indicate that they are not part of the solution set.

5. Can there be more than one solution set for an inequality?

Yes, there can be more than one solution set for an inequality. In fact, most inequalities have infinite solutions. Each solution set may have a different interval notation, depending on the specific values that satisfy the inequality.