Solve Equation: 4x - 1/3 - 2x + 7/6 = 5/2

• Thread starter Gringo123
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving an equation and checking whether it has been solved correctly. The equation involves fractions and the person who is summarizing points out that the equation is not written correctly. They also explain the proper way to write it using LaTeX and provide the correct solution to the equation.
Gringo123
Have I solved this equation correctly? I don't think I have as I can't imagine the value of x being a recurring number.

4x - 1/3 - 2x + 7/6 = 5/2

I have worked it out as follows:

6(4x - 1) -3 (2x + 7) = 30/2
(here i have multiplied the right side by 6 as this is the LCM of 6 + 3.

24x - 6 - 6x - 21 = 15
18x - 27 = 15
18x = 42
x = 2.3333r

Physics news on Phys.org
Gringo123 said:
Have I solved this equation correctly? I don't think I have as I can't imagine the value of x being a recurring number.

4x - 1/3 - 2x + 7/6 = 5/2
From the work you show later, your original equation is not written correctly. Apparently this is what you have.
[tex]\frac{4x - 1}{3} - \frac{2x + 7}{3} = \frac{5}{2}[/tex]

The way anyone who is at least halfway knowledgeable in mathematics would interpret your equation is this:
[tex]4x - \frac{1}{3} - 2x + \frac{7}{6} = \frac{5}{2}[/tex]

If the first equation is what you meant and you don't know how to write it using LaTeX, use parentheses, like so:
(4x - 1)/3 - (2x + 7)/6 = 5/2
Gringo123 said:
I have worked it out as follows:

6(4x - 1) -3 (2x + 7) = 30/2
(here i have multiplied the right side by 6 as this is the LCM of 6 + 3.

24x - 6 - 6x - 21 = 15
18x - 27 = 15
18x = 42
x = 2.3333r

FAQ: Solve Equation: 4x - 1/3 - 2x + 7/6 = 5/2

1. What is the value of x in the given equation?

The value of x in the equation 4x - 1/3 - 2x + 7/6 = 5/2 is 1.

2. How do you solve this equation?

To solve this equation, we need to combine like terms and isolate the variable x on one side of the equation. First, we can combine 4x and -2x to get 2x. Then, we can combine -1/3 and 7/6 to get 1/2. So, the equation becomes 2x + 1/2 = 5/2. Next, we can subtract 1/2 from both sides to get 2x = 2. Finally, we can divide both sides by 2 to get the value of x, which is 1.

3. Can this equation have multiple solutions?

No, this equation has only one solution. After simplifying and isolating the variable, we get a single value for x.

4. Can this equation be solved using a calculator?

Yes, this equation can be solved using a calculator. You can plug in the values of the constants and use the calculator to perform the necessary operations to find the value of x.

5. What is the importance of solving equations in science?

Solving equations is crucial in science as it allows us to find the values of variables and understand the relationships between different quantities. This helps us make predictions, analyze data, and make informed decisions in various scientific fields.

Back