Solve Temperature Question: Find a, b & k

In summary, the yam put into a 200ºC oven will reach a final temperature of T if it starts at 20ºC and is increased by 2ºC per minute. If y=0, then T=a(0)+b.
Burjam

Homework Statement

The temperature, T, in ºC, of a yam put into a 200ºC oven is given as a function of time, t, in minutes, by

T=a(1-e-kt)+b

a. If the yam starts at 20ºC, find a and b.
b. If the temperature of the yam is initially increasing at 2ºC per minute, find k.

Homework Equations

Given in problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure how to set up this problem to do part a. I think if I had a and b I'd be able to do part b with some derivatives and algebra but I just can't figure out how to get there. My instincts are telling me to set T = 20 = a(1-e-kt)+b but I don't know how to approach this from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
For part a set time = 0. What happens to e^-kt then? Can you solve for one of the constants?

When t=0, e=1 and therefore a=0. Therefore b=initial T which in the case of a is 20. Ok great. But what do I do to get a? I think I need to set T=20 but I don't know what I need to set t equal to. I know I can't use zero, but aside from that I don't know what to do.

Burjam said:
When t=0, e=1 and therefore a=0.

Generalizing your statement, you're saying that if any number x is multiplied by zero, that number x is zero.

Do you see a problem with this?

If you have x*0, does this imply that x = 0?

Burjam said:
When t=0, e=1 and therefore a=0.

Also, is e a constant or a variable?

Qube said:
Generalizing your statement, you're saying that if any number x is multiplied by zero, that number x is zero.

Do you see a problem with this?

I'm saying that at t=0, a(1-e-kt) will equal zero because e0=1, 1-1=0 and a*0=0.

Qube said:
If you have x*0, does this imply that x = 0?

I wasn't trying to imply that.

Qube said:
Also, is e a constant or a variable?

e is the constant Euler's number.

Burjam said:
I'm saying that at t=0, a(1-e-kt) will equal zero because e0=1, 1-1=0 and a*0=0.

a*0 indeed equals 0, but we're deviating from the original problem. Are there other parts to the original equation even when you substitute 0 in for time and 20 degrees C in for the temperature?

Burjam said:
e is the constant Euler's number.

Right, and e = 2.71 (approximately). Not 1.

Qube said:
a*0 indeed equals 0, but we're deviating from the original problem. Are there other parts to the original equation even when you substitute 0 in for time and 20 degrees C in for the temperature?

What do you mean by "other parts"?

Qube said:
Right, and e = 2.71 (approximately). Not 1.

But if we're setting t=0, it will be e-k*0. -k*0=0 so it will be e0=1.

Burjam said:
What do you mean by "other parts"?

But if we're setting t=0, it will be e-k*0. -k*0=0 so it will be e0=1.

What happened to the variables you were solving for? Surely if they all canceled out then this would be a bad question on the part of the teacher, right?

e^0 = 1.

You stated e = 1.

Qube said:
What happened to the variables you were solving for? Surely if they all canceled out then this would be a bad question on the part of the teacher, right?

Wait what? What do you mean "what happened to the variables you were solving for?" I was only trying to say everything but b is canceled out when t=0. Surely you must see that.

Qube said:
e^0 = 1.

You stated e = 1.

Ok that was a false. Take it as e0=1

Burjam said:
Wait what? What do you mean "what happened to the variables you were solving for?" I was only trying to say everything but b is canceled out when t=0. Surely you must see that.

Ok that was a false. Take it as e0=1

Ok. So you've got b. Now what happens if t is very, very large?

Burjam said:

T = a(y) + b, where y is substituted in for whatever function that a was multiplied by.

If y = 0, then

T = a(0) + b

Do you see what happens (contrary to what you think?)

Dick said:
Ok. So you've got b. Now what happens if t is very, very large?

When t gets very large, e-kt approaches 0. So the equation becomes a(1-0)+b=T. This is simplified to a+b=T where b is the initial temperature and T is the final temperature. Therefore a=T-b.

Qube said:
T = a(y) + b, where y is substituted in for whatever function that a was multiplied by.

If y = 0, then

T = a(0) + b

Do you see what happens (contrary to what you think?)

Yes I get it. But in this scenario a(0)=0. I just simplified it.

Burjam said:
When t gets very large, e-kt approaches 0. So the equation becomes a(1-0)+b=T. This is simplified to a+b=T where b is the initial temperature and T is the final temperature. Therefore a=T-b.

Yes, that's it. t=0 gives you one constant and t=infinity gives you the other one. Now you just need to find k. You are given dT/dt=2 at t=0. So?

Solving for k I get 1/90, which appears to be the right answer in the back of the book. Along with my answers for a and b. Thanks.

Related to Solve Temperature Question: Find a, b & k

1. What is the purpose of solving for a, b & k in a temperature question?

The variables a, b, and k represent the coefficients in a mathematical equation that relates temperature to time. By solving for these variables, we can understand how temperature changes over time and make predictions about future temperatures.

2. How is the equation for finding a, b & k derived?

The equation for finding a, b, and k is derived from the general form of a logarithmic function, y = a + b ln(x), where x represents time and y represents temperature. By taking the logarithm of both sides and using a technique called linearization, we can transform the equation into a linear form, y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept. The values of a, b, and k are then determined by substituting in known values for x and y and solving for the slope and y-intercept.

3. What information do I need to solve for a, b & k in a temperature question?

To solve for a, b, and k, you will need a set of data points that represent temperature and time. The more data points you have, the more accurate your results will be. You will also need a graphing calculator or software that can perform linear regressions to find the values of a, b, and k.

4. Can the equation for finding a, b & k be used for any temperature question?

No, the equation for finding a, b, and k is specifically used for temperature questions that follow a logarithmic pattern, where temperature changes exponentially over time. It is not applicable to other types of temperature questions, such as those with linear or quadratic patterns.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving for a, b & k in temperature questions?

Solving for a, b, and k can be applied in many fields, such as meteorology, climate science, and engineering. It can be used to analyze temperature trends, predict future temperatures, and optimize temperature control systems. For example, in meteorology, this equation can be used to forecast temperature changes over time and in climate science, it can help understand the effects of global warming on temperature patterns.