Solving a Complex Homework Problem: Tip or Slide?

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving tipping over a storage bin. The weight, dimensions, and angle of the bin are given, and the force needed to tip it over is requested. The coefficient of friction is also mentioned, and the discussion touches on whether the bin will slide or tip over based on this value. The conversation then moves on to solving the problem, mentioning equations and attempting to find the necessary force. Finally, it is suggested to consider the type of motion and forces involved in order to solve the problem.
beijati

Homework Statement

I have been trying this question since 5 hours but I am lost ! Any help would be appreciated

Some moron kids are trying to tip over a storage bin as shown. The bin weighs 7100 N, w = 2.2 m, h = 3 m, d = 1.6 m, and theta = 20 degrees. With what force do they need to push in order to tip the bin over?
F= ? Newtons
If the coefficient of friction between the box and the floor is 0.43, calculate the force of friction on the box and determine whether it will slide or tip over
Tip or Slide?

Homework Equations

-T=R∗F∗sin(θ)
ΣT = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

R=sqrt(1.8^2+1.6^2)=2.4m
F=??
R=sqrt(0.9^2+1.5^2)=1.75m
F=7600N
now what??

Attachments

• container.png
    container.png
    31 KB · Views: 601
Physics news on Phys.org

When you do these problems it is helpful to describe what you are doing in words - if nothing else, it focusses you mind on the physics.

What sort of motion does the box have to undergo to get tipped? Where is the pivot?
Where does the main force opposing the tipping act? In which direction?
After that it is a matter of torques and reason - though you could try doing it in terms of conservation of energy.

Related to Solving a Complex Homework Problem: Tip or Slide?

1. How do I start solving a complex homework problem?

The first step in solving a complex homework problem is to read and understand the problem statement. Make sure to identify all given information and what is being asked. Then, break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts.

2. Should I use a tip or a slide to help me solve the problem?

This depends on the problem and your personal preference. A tip is a helpful strategy or technique that can guide you in solving the problem. A slide is a visual representation or illustration of the problem. Consider using both a tip and a slide to better understand and solve the problem.

3. How do I choose the right tip or slide for the problem?

Choosing the right tip or slide depends on your understanding of the problem and your learning style. If you are a visual learner, a slide may be more helpful. If you are an analytical thinker, a tip may be more beneficial. Experiment with different tips and slides to find what works best for you.

4. What should I do if I get stuck on a complex homework problem?

If you get stuck on a complex homework problem, take a break and come back to it later with a fresh mind. You can also try discussing the problem with a classmate or seeking help from a teacher or tutor. Don't be afraid to ask for assistance when needed.

5. How do I know if I have solved the problem correctly?

The best way to know if you have solved the problem correctly is to check your solution and make sure it aligns with the given information and answer to the problem. You can also ask a peer or teacher to review your solution and provide feedback. Remember to always double-check your work for accuracy.