Solving a Scheduling Problem with Diophantine Equations

• Thread starter lavoisier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scheduling
In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical problem involving schedules for biological assays. The problem can be solved by considering the patterns for each assay and using the Chinese remainder theorem. This method can also be applied to more complicated scenarios with multiple assays.
lavoisier
Hi everyone,
a problem that seems mathematical in nature came to my mind at work a few days ago, and I wonder if anyone can help me with it.

Basically, we are given a schedule of when certain biological assays take place, e.g. assay A will take place each even week of the year starting on week 2, and assay B will take place every 4 weeks starting on week 1.
It's relatively easy to write out the explicit cases:
A={2,4,6...}
B={1,5,9,13,17...}
What I wanted to know was on which weeks there were no assays. Again, easy enough to write it out:
no_assays={3,7,11,...}.
And whether A and B could happen on the same week. Clearly not, as A only happens on even weeks, whereas B only happens on odd weeks.

But I wanted to make this more systematic. I started by noting that A corresponded to a 2*n pattern, with n positive integer, and B to 2*m+1, with m positive integer or zero.
Then I wondered how I could derive the pattern for no_assays (of course 4*k-1, with k positive integer) just from the patterns for A and B, without writing out the explicit cases.
Maybe not in a simple case like this one, but in a more complicated one. E.g. if there were 3 assays A, B and C, with A on weeks 3*n+1, B on weeks 4*m, C on weeks 5*p, with n, m and p positive integers, how could I determine if+when+which assays happen on the same week, and if+when there are weeks with no assays?

Is there an 'official' approach one may use for this kind of problem? Maybe something related to Diophantine equations?

Thank you!
L

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If there would be an easy general approach you could use it to find prime numbers - and there is no easy way to find arbitrary prime numbers.

It is sufficient to consider all weeks up to the least common multiple of all periods, e.g. 4 in the first example and 60 in the second one. Although 60 weeks are more than a year, so basically you are testing each week anyway.
Sometimes it can be sufficient to check the intersection of (AB), (BC) and (AC), which gives 12, 15 and 20 weeks to check, so you save a bit compared to 52 checks. An additional trick: within those given lengths, the pairs will have a common exam week exactly once, and there are ways to calculate this week quickly.

Thank you both very much!
Much of the maths in the wikipedia article is above my level, but I think the algebraic solution by sequential substitution is something I could manage to use.

Related to Solving a Scheduling Problem with Diophantine Equations

1. What are Diophantine equations?

Diophantine equations are algebraic equations in which the solutions must be integers (whole numbers). These equations are named after the Greek mathematician Diophantus of Alexandria, who studied them extensively.

2. How are Diophantine equations used in scheduling problems?

In scheduling problems, Diophantine equations are used to represent the relationships between various tasks or events. The coefficients in the equations represent the length of time each task takes, and the solutions to the equations represent the specific times at which each task should be scheduled.

3. What makes solving scheduling problems with Diophantine equations challenging?

Solving scheduling problems with Diophantine equations can be challenging because there may be multiple solutions to the equations, and it can be difficult to determine which solution is the most efficient or optimal. Additionally, the equations may become increasingly complex as the number of tasks or events increases.

4. What techniques are commonly used to solve scheduling problems with Diophantine equations?

Some common techniques for solving scheduling problems with Diophantine equations include using modular arithmetic, the Euclidean algorithm, and the Chinese remainder theorem. These techniques can help to simplify and solve the equations more efficiently.

5. How are Diophantine equations used in real-world scheduling problems?

Diophantine equations are used in a variety of real-world scheduling problems, such as scheduling tasks in a manufacturing process, scheduling appointments in healthcare settings, and scheduling flights for airlines. They can also be applied to more complex scheduling problems, such as resource allocation and project management.